Question: Internet / Broadband Speedtest results

BamaNation

Publisher and Benevolent Dictator
Staff member
Apr 9, 1999
Silicon Slopes
TideFans.com
Hey folks.

I live in an area (Smyrna/Vinings, GA) where we're about to get both Google fiber and AT&T Gigafiber. I have had U-verse as my internet provider for many years without a single problem. However, the speed has been a maximum of 18mbps until about a month ago. Then they upgraded to 24mbps (which I upgraded to as soon as I was notified). Then about a week later they went to 48mbps (which, again, I upgraded to). Then last weekend they made their 75mbps available (which, for the 3rd time in a month, I upgraded).

Thus, I'm very happy (finally) about my speed. I'm actually getting much faster connection than the 75mbps because even with all my devices (about 20) connected wirelessly, I'm getting over 80mbps many days ... wirelessly. I now await the final connection to FTTH (fiber to the home) which will get me at least 1GBPS (or 1000mbps) which should be available by the new year. Whoever gets here first, wins :)

So, I would be interested in what speed you all have at home (and/or at work)?

If you don't know, go to http://www.speedtest.net and check. Then share your results here!

Here's mine:

CrimsonForce

Hall of Fame
Dec 20, 2012
I have the AT&T GigaPower in Huntsville. This is what I typically get over wifi. The 3 numbers are download/upload/ping. The cost is $90 (fixed price for life) for 1000mbps and no data cap. I was paying $75 for 75mbps with Comcast. I've been happy with the switch..

Last edited:

BamaNation

Publisher and Benevolent Dictator
Staff member
Apr 9, 1999
Silicon Slopes
TideFans.com
I have the AT&T GigaPower in Huntsville. This is what I typically get over wifi. The 3 numbers are download/upload/ping. The cost is $90 (fixed price for life) for 1000mbps and no data cap. I was paying $75 for 75mbps with Comcast. I've been happy with the switch..
Awesome! Just seeing three-digit numbers is a great thing.

I also upped my data limit on verizon wireless to 40gb with rollover data with the new Verizon plan. Doing so saved me about $70/month.

I think it's about to get really competitive in the wired and wireless broadband space... Assuming the FCC doesn't screw it all up! ;)

Last edited:

2003TIDE

Hall of Fame
Jul 10, 2007
ATL
I'm 18Mb U-verse in Brookhaven. The neighborhood is old and so are all the wires on the pole. GFBR just trenched conduit to the first utility pole in my neighborhood, but Brookhaven has been fighting them on zoning for the fiber hut we would have run out of. So earliest i expect it to be available is end of next year.

Comcast was 50Mb with and option to get 105Mb when we canceled a few years ago do to reliability issues.

MattinBama

Hall of Fame
Jul 31, 2007
I wish this was one of my patented zingers.

It's super fun when playing online games at times. I shoot a person 100 times in the back only to find out that I'm dead. My friend that lives in Tallassee is even worse off and that's usually who I team up with. First world problems.

CrimsonForce

Hall of Fame
Dec 20, 2012
Awesome! Just seeing three-digit numbers is a great thing.

I also upped my data limit on verizon wireless to 40gb with rollover data with the new Verizon plan. Doing so saved me about $70/month.

I think it's about to get really competitive in the wired and wireless broadband space... Assuming the FCC doesn't screw it all up! ;)
Yep. It's just me and my wife on our Verizon plan. We have the 12GB plan with rollover. I've been please with that as well. Interesting times ahead for the internet service providers for sure..

NationalTitles18

TideFans Legend
May 25, 2003
Mountainous Northern California
I had documented my earlier woes when we moved here at the beginning of the year, so won't get into that but at home I have DSL and microwave wireless and get about 12mbps on one, 10mbps on the other, 22mbps aggregated through a router with load balancing and failover.

At work we have CA telehealth which gets us a paltry 6mbps. Trying to convince them to get centurylink at 100mbps and if I can get at home after we move I may well do it myself (even though it is business only and slightly more expensive).

(all speeds listed are tested speeds)

ETA: The hospital itself is 30 up/30 down. All ping times 30ms, give or take, but lag is still an issue.

Last edited:

seebell

Hall of Fame
Mar 12, 2012
Gurley, Al
Mediacom

down 19.19
up 2.23
ping 50

,They offer 50mbs for another ten bucks but their service is unreliable so I didn't bite.

They are the only provider here.

Jon

Hall of Fame
Feb 22, 2002
Atlanta 'Burbs
Mediacom

down 19.19
up 2.23
ping 50

,They offer 50mbs for another ten bucks but their service is unreliable so I didn't bite.

They are the only provider here.
I have mediacom at my 2nd home, they are so bad that they make comcast seem almost decent

PacadermaTideUs

All-American
Dec 10, 2009
Navarre, FL

Paying for 150 Mbps, but I don't think Mediacom's infrastructure can deliver what they're selling as this is about the fastest I've ever received. Will soon be cutting back to their 50 Mbps / 350 Gb plan, or maybe the 100 Mbps plan so I can take advantage of the higher 1,000 Gb limit. I stream all of my television via Roku and Sling TV, Netflix, Hulu, etc, so I'm very sensitive to data limits.

crimsonaudio

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 9, 2002
crimsonaudio.net
I have a business account at home so it's not as 'fast' as the residential connection options, but there are no data limits and it's literally never down, even when the houses around me are offline - they really stress keeping business accounts online...

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.