The real life effects of fake news part 2

CharminTide

Hall of Fame
Oct 23, 2005
NYT: Reading Fake News, Pakistani Minister Directs Nuclear Threat at Israel

A fake news article led to gunfire at a Washington pizzeria three weeks ago. Now it seems that another fake news story has prompted the defense minister of Pakistan to threaten to go nuclear.

The defense minister, Khawaja Muhammad Asif, wrote a saber-rattling Twitter post directed at Israel on Friday after a false report — which the minister apparently believed — that Israel had threatened Pakistan with nuclear weapons. Both countries have nuclear arsenals.

NationalTitles18

TideFans Legend
May 25, 2003
Mountainous Northern California
Someone in his position had better be smarter than that. Blaming fake news for a supposedly smart man's stupidity in believing anything and everything he reads does not absolve him of the responsibility to discern the truth. Please tellme though - who is going to police all this fake news and make it go away? The government? Facebook? Twitter? Or should maybe the people reading it who ought to have enough sense to consider the source and verify the "news" before acting stupidly? Because it we take the responsibility off ourselves and put it on someone else we end up with a police state regulating speech or we end up with media channels controlling what we are allowed to read. Neither of those options seem utopian to me, but rather dystopian. So everyone needs to man up for himself ( or woman up or whatever) and stop shirking their own responsibility. When you see a fake news story it seems right to call it out if you wish. It won't diminish until people diminish it and it's not the place of others to do it for you or me or anyone else.

CharminTide

Hall of Fame
Oct 23, 2005
Someone in his position had better be smarter than that. Blaming fake news for a supposedly smart man's stupidity in believing anything and everything he reads does not absolve him of the responsibility to discern the truth. Please tellme though - who is going to police all this fake news and make it go away? The government? Facebook? Twitter? Or should maybe the people reading it who ought to have enough sense to consider the source and verify the "news" before acting stupidly? Because it we take the responsibility off ourselves and put it on someone else we end up with a police state regulating speech or we end up with media channels controlling what we are allowed to read. Neither of those options seem utopian to me, but rather dystopian. So everyone needs to man up for himself ( or woman up or whatever) and stop shirking their own responsibility. When you see a fake news story it seems right to call it out if you wish. It won't diminish until people diminish it and it's not the place of others to do it for you or me or anyone else.
Absolutely. I tell my students that they need to check their sources, and that dictum applies triply to world leaders with nuclear launch codes. Unfortunately, this is the kind of devastating error I can easily see our president-elect making with a 3am tweet, which terrifies me.

For tonight, though, I'm thankful that reason prevailed and millions did not die on Christmas Eve.

Tide1986

Suspended
Nov 22, 2008
Birmingham, AL
Absolutely. I tell my students that they need to check their sources, and that dictum applies triply to world leaders with nuclear launch codes. Unfortunately, this is the kind of devastating error I can easily see our president-elect making with a 3am tweet, which terrifies me.

For tonight, though, I'm thankful that reason prevailed and millions did not die on Christmas Eve.
What do you teach? You may have said at some point along the way, but I missed it.

CharminTide

Hall of Fame
Oct 23, 2005
Horrifying survey by the Economist. Can we please stop dismissing the role of fake news in the miseducation of Americans? It affects both sides of the political divide, although Trump voters do appear more vulnerable. Dialog is impossible if we're unable to agree on a basic set of facts.

Tidewater

Hall of Fame
Mar 15, 2003
Hooterville, Vir.
The obvious follow-up for question 1 was "Did reports of pedophilia, human trafficking and satanic ritual abuse make you more likely or less likely to vote for Hillary?"
and for Question 3, "To whom do you believe illegal votes went?"

CharminTide

Hall of Fame
Oct 23, 2005
The obvious follow-up for question 1 was "Did reports of pedophilia, human trafficking and satanic ritual abuse make you more likely or less likely to vote for Hillary?"
and for Question 3, "To whom do you believe illegal votes went?"
A better follow-up for both would be, "since there is no evidence supporting either of these things, where did you hear about this and/or why do you believe it?"

CharminTide

Hall of Fame
Oct 23, 2005
How about asking Alabama and Auburn fans two questions and see which side seems more vulnerable. 1) True or Not true: Alabama cheats 2) True or Not true: Auburn cheats
The tribalism surrounding politics is a huge problem, as your analogy illustrates well.

NationalTitles18

TideFans Legend
May 25, 2003
Mountainous Northern California
A better follow-up for both would be, "since there is no evidence supporting either of these things, where did you hear about this and/or why do you believe it?"
The whole chart looks like fake news to me, beginning with the obviously cherry picked questions that measure known and established biases as much or more than they measure the impact of "fake news". I doubt seriously there is much scientific underpinning to this survey, wherever it comes from.

Tidewater

Hall of Fame
Mar 15, 2003
Hooterville, Vir.
I personally would be curious to see whether reports of pedophilia, and satanic ritual abuse would make Democrat voters more likely to support the Democrat party. I'd bet there are some who would be more likely to vote Democrat if they knew the party supported or tolerated pedophilia and satanic ritual abuse.

As for illegal immigrant voting, we have no idea how widespread that practice is. I cannot say for California, but in Virginia, the Democrat party moves heaven and earth to stop anyone from finding out how many illegal immigrants are voting.
When they have failed to crush such inquiries, it turns out that illegal immigrants have been voting in Virginia elections. With a heavily Democrat state like California, with a high number of Hispanic voters, I'd wager the number of illegal immigrants voting is a lot higher, and, being heavily Democrat, the party will quash any serious investigation into that question.

92tide

TideFans Legend
May 9, 2000
East Point, Ga, USA
I personally would be curious to see whether reports of pedophilia, and satanic ritual abuse would make Democrat voters more likely to support the Democrat party. I'd bet there are some who would be more likely to vote Democrat if they knew the party supported or tolerated pedophilia and satanic ritual abuse.

As for illegal immigrant voting, we have no idea how widespread that practice is. I cannot say for California, but in Virginia, the Democrat party moves heaven and earth to stop anyone from finding out how many illegal immigrants are voting.
When they have failed to crush such inquiries, it turns out that illegal immigrants have been voting in Virginia elections. With a heavily Democrat state like California, with a high number of Hispanic voters, I'd wager the number of illegal immigrants voting is a lot higher, and, being heavily Democrat, the party will quash any serious investigation into that question.
bless your heart

TheAccountant

All-SEC
Mar 22, 2011
Birmingham
I notice while looking at the raw data for the poll there is not an answer choice of "not sure/don't know" for the conspiracy questions. There is for almost every other question.

Bamabuzzard

FB Moderator
Staff member
Aug 15, 2004
Where ever there's BBQ, Bourbon & Football

There is no voter fraud. We were told so when Barack Obama was elected and republicans made the claim of voter fraud. If I remember there were "studies" posted showing that the "voter fraud" claim was merely a myth. You don't see many of those articles and "studies" posted lately though.

Tide1986

Suspended
Nov 22, 2008
Birmingham, AL
The whole chart looks like fake news to me, beginning with the obviously cherry picked questions that measure known and established biases as much or more than they measure the impact of "fake news". I doubt seriously there is much scientific underpinning to this survey, wherever it comes from.
My feeling as well. It would have been fun to answer those questions in such a way as to stoke the outrage of the other side.

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.