Question: What is the Greatest Moment in Alabama Men's Basketball History?

Bamagator

Scout Team
Jan 12, 2000
The hiring of C.M. Newton.
One of Coach Newton's early teams made it to the NIT, which was an accomplishment in those days as the NCAA field was 16, I believe. We drew the Manhattan Jaspers - in Madison Square Garden. A forward named Glenn Garrett hit a very long jumper at the buzzer (no 3-point line) and we won by one point. I seem to recall news reports that Coach Bryant was on the end of the bench watching, and when the shot went in, he jumped up and ran out on the floor to congratulate the players. I think that show of support had a lot to do with attitudes about basketball in Tuscaloosa - folks knew he was paying attention.

CrimsonEyeshade

Hall of Fame
Nov 6, 2007
I'd like to throw in a new category: the greatest long weekend in Alabama basketball history.

Back in the cave dweller days, the two best teams in the conference were Kentucky, of course, and Ray Mears' Vols. Part of the reason was all the other SEC teams had to play them back to back on the schedule.

C.M.'s first competitive team was 1971-72. We had beaten Vandy on the road, but lost at Knoxville and Lexington. That spring it was our turn to host.

First it was Tennessee on a Sarturday afternoon -- an incredibly raucous crowd, an extraordinary game where we got down early but never quit. We had it won with seconds remaining when some bozos in the stands started pelting the UT bench with oranges, the second time it had happened. The technical tied the score, then Glenn Garrett, standing at the line by himself, missed two foul shots after the buzzer. Somehow, we won in overtime and the oranges came flying again -- Mears glaring and kicking at them as they skidded by.

Monday night, Rupp brought his last team to Tuscaloosa. This time we fell way behind, but reeled Kentucky back in over the entire second half. The crowd, our crowd!, never sat down. Paul Ellis made big shots all night, then sank two free throws to clinch.

We had announced our presence with authority. Newton's era had arrived.

BamaNation

Publisher and Benevolent Dictator
Staff member
Apr 9, 1999
Silicon Slopes
TideFans.com
Here are my personal memories from '89-93 when I was a student:

1) Holding LSU's superstars Shaq & Chris Jackson to (I think) their career college lows on a Sunday nationally televised game
2) all the great Alabama-Arkansas games during that era
3) Robert Horry decking Dwayne Schintzius (RIP) ... Horry got ejected but we won and he did what we all wanted to do ;)
4) Beating UNC 101-93 in 1990 at Coleman

JDCrimson

Hall of Fame
Feb 12, 2006
The backdoor layup by Pettway to win the SEC Championship against Florida - the year I dont remember. Funny thing is, I have always felt that Bama basketball started its downward trend the year after Erwin Dudley graduated. Probably just a coincidence, but I really miss that guy as player.

Tides_of_Change

1st Team
Sep 27, 2012
The backdoor layup by Pettway to win the SEC Championship against Florida - the year I dont remember. Funny thing is, I have always felt that Bama basketball started its downward trend the year after Erwin Dudley graduated. Probably just a coincidence, but I really miss that guy as player.
It was 2001-02 down there and my freshman year. That's the loudest moment that I ever experienced at any Bama sporting event "per capita", and I remember floating down the rows of seats from Mark's Madness onto the court amid the hysteria. It was a fairly ugly game, but the end result can't be beat. There have been moments with bigger things at stake but may be not a better one.

I miss Dudley, but I miss big men down there generally. I'm hoping that by bringing Pelphrey on, we'll see just how crucial having a hip-clearing ball hog or two is.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.