Link: Blake Barnett going to Arizona state

Intl.Aperture

All-American
Aug 12, 2015
Chesapeake, Virginia

There's only a little from before he was pulled out of the game (and most of my worries with him were written on his face and not on the field). He didn't look that bad but you can kinda briefly see how jittery he looked. Would he have settled down? Possibly. But Jalen didn't give him that opportunity. When he came back in with no pressure he did a lot better.
I got in a lot of arguments on here back when this happened. Practically speaking, in his first 3 drives, Jalen was just about as bad if not worse when considering the fumble.
I'm fine that we let Jalen continue to start but Blake had 3 drives and Jalen had 3 drives and they were both miserable. Honestly neither were impressive and both looked out of sorts. Jalen's face didn't show emotion but he played tight. I think Blake is the real deal and can be a heck of a QB. He probably shouldn't have said anything about it at all but many on here did seem to think he was rattled and timid, which he likely was - but Saban said after the fact that the plan was to put Jalen in after 3 drives anyways.

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
I got in a lot of arguments on here back when this happened. Practically speaking, in his first 3 drives, Jalen was just about as bad if not worse when considering the fumble.
I'm fine that we let Jalen continue to start but Blake had 3 drives and Jalen had 3 drives and they were both miserable. Honestly neither were impressive and both looked out of sorts. Jalen's face didn't show emotion but he played tight. I think Blake is the real deal and can be a heck of a QB. He probably shouldn't have said anything about it at all but many on here did seem to think he was rattled and timid, which he likely was - but Saban said after the fact that the plan was to put Jalen in after 3 drives anyways.
I agree that the results were miserable for both, but BB looked shaken while having those problems - Hurts looked totally calm. I think that his demeanor won him the job that day.

Intl.Aperture

All-American
Aug 12, 2015
Chesapeake, Virginia
I agree that the results were miserable for both, but BB looked shaken while having those problems - Hurts looked totally calm. I think that his demeanor won him the job that day.
I think both were capable of taking us to a NC. Not sure how Blake would have handled Ole Miss but to be frank I wasn't sure how Jalen would either. I felt a ..... serenity when we were down and had an untraceable sense that we would climb back in the game. Who knows how it would have turned out with Barnett, but I can't damn him just because I asked the question. Who knows, maybe he would have blown them out by 30. :conf3:

TideEngineer08

TideFans Legend
Jun 9, 2009
Beautiful Cullman, AL
Yes. And I agree, Blake is the real deal when it comes to talent. But I just can't remember many guys that were successful with the kind of attitude he's displayed. More often than not they end up falling by the wayside.

CrimsonProf

Hall of Fame
Dec 30, 2006
Birmingham, Alabama
I think both were capable of taking us to a NC. Not sure how Blake would have handled Ole Miss but to be frank I wasn't sure how Jalen would either. I felt a ..... serenity when we were down and had an untraceable sense that we would climb back in the game. Who knows how it would have turned out with Barnett, but I can't damn him just because I asked the question. Who knows, maybe he would have blown them out by 30. :conf3:
Blake was never going to win us a NC, and his parents were a cancer.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
Here's the thing - Barnett quit. I stopped thinking about him as a possible positive influence on the team when he did that. If he will quit on his team 4 games into a season, are you sure he wouldn't have quit on his team in the Ole Miss game down 24-3?

Quitters quit - it's what they do.

Intl.Aperture

All-American
Aug 12, 2015
Chesapeake, Virginia
Blake was never going to win us a NC, and his parents were a cancer.

Well, Jalen hasn't won us one yet either. I just said I think he could have got us there. Also I didn't know his parents were on the field snapping him the ball and thus so crucial a component to his competency as a quarterback. I'm talking about his ability - you can talk about parents if you like.

Here's the deal with the quitting. He quit because he was selfish. He quit because he wanted to play - because he wants to be successful and rich and go to the NFL. Hard to do when sitting behind a freshman. Do I think it was a good idea to quit? No. But I don't think his decision to quit reflects on his ability to play the game of football well - mostly because I think that same selfish desire to succeed personally could have been a positive factor in the game against Ole Miss. A drive to avoid losing, to avoid being humiliated and finding whatever available path to success. I agree, the guy is kind of scummy, but I'm not going to chortle indignantly that he could have NEVER led us to a success. I recognize that despite preempting my statement with the fact that I don't like the guy for quitting I will still hold the wildly unpopular opinion that I think we could have won with him.

Intl.Aperture

All-American
Aug 12, 2015
Chesapeake, Virginia
Here's the thing - Barnett quit. I stopped thinking about him as a possible positive influence on the team when he did that. If he will quit on his team 4 games into a season, are you sure he wouldn't have quit on his team in the Ole Miss game down 24-3?

Quitters quit - it's what they do.
I sort of responded to this with Crimson Prof. but to paraphrase, the quitting is a bad look. But I think the quitting was motivated by selfishness and a desire to find success. It was a convenient and available out and a calculated risk that will revel in time whether it pays off. Quitting is sad and pathetic. But the motivator that I believe is behind the quitting can be the same motivator behind a successful QB. So to put in plainly, I don't think the fact that he is a quitter makes it a given that we would have lost to Ole Miss. Certainly is a bad look for Blake, but we just don't know.

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
Well, Jalen hasn't won us one yet either. I just said I think he could have got us there. Also I didn't know his parents were on the field snapping him the ball and thus so crucial a component to his competency as a quarterback. I'm talking about his ability - you can talk about parents if you like.

Here's the deal with the quitting. He quit because he was selfish. He quit because he wanted to play - because he wants to be successful and rich and go to the NFL. Hard to do when sitting behind a freshman. Do I think it was a good idea to quit? No. But I don't think his decision to quit reflects on his ability to play the game of football well - mostly because I think that same selfish desire to succeed personally could have been a positive factor in the game against Ole Miss. A drive to avoid losing, to avoid being humiliated and finding whatever available path to success. I agree, the guy is kind of scummy, but I'm not going to chortle indignantly that he could have NEVER led us to a success. I recognize that despite preempting my statement with the fact that I don't like the guy for quitting I will still hold the wildly unpopular opinion that I think we could have won with him.
If Bama won with Blake Barnett as QB, I'm pretty confident it would have been in spite of him, not because of him.

And we won games this year because of Jalen Hurts.

Displaced Bama Fan

Hall of Fame
Jun 5, 2000
Shiner, TX
If Bama won with Blake Barnett as QB, I'm pretty confident it would have been in spite of him, not because of him.

And we won games this year because of Jalen Hurts.
As always, there are pluses and minuses, but I agree Jalen got the Tide out of a lot of situations this year with his legs.

TideEngineer08

TideFans Legend
Jun 9, 2009
Beautiful Cullman, AL
I sort of responded to this with Crimson Prof. but to paraphrase, the quitting is a bad look. But I think the quitting was motivated by selfishness and a desire to find success. It was a convenient and available out and a calculated risk that will revel in time whether it pays off. Quitting is sad and pathetic. But the motivator that I believe is behind the quitting can be the same motivator behind a successful QB. So to put in plainly, I don't think the fact that he is a quitter makes it a given that we would have lost to Ole Miss. Certainly is a bad look for Blake, but we just don't know.
His quitting early, even if for the motivation to find playing time, shows that he lacks tenacity. A tenacious competitor would have dug in, practiced even harder, showed up to meetings and workouts even earlier, and stayed even later after they were over. He would have stayed on throughout the season and probably would have even come back for Spring practice after busting his tail all winter in workouts. Yes, I realize this never would happen with most guys because these traits are rare.

But in order to realize his NFL dream, he is going to have to develop these traits. Because there are only 32 NFL starting QB jobs, and most of them aren't even going to be up for grabs for a few years. If he thinks it was demanding at Alabama, he has no clue what getting to the next level is going to entail.

4Q Basket Case

FB|BB Moderator
Staff member
Nov 8, 2004
Tuscaloosa
Agreed. Jalen Hurts proved me wrong on the position I held until he forced me to abandon it.

I repeatedly stated that, while a freshman might be able to handle the physical requirements of the QB position under Saban, it was highly unlikely, bordering on impossible, for one to execute the mental / leadership aspects.

Turns out, the intangibles were what he was best at. That and his running ability. I would never have believed it, but it was plain to anybody with two eyes.

BTW -- I had crappy seats in Dallas...5th row. Only good thing about them was that I could actually see the QB's eyes. Barnett looked like he was about to hear a jury's verdict on charges of murder.

Hurts looked like he was at a scrimmage. I've rarely seen calm like that from fifth year seniors, let alone a guy barely 18.

Bamabuzzard

FB Moderator
Staff member
Aug 15, 2004
Where ever there's BBQ, Bourbon & Football
Agreed. Jalen Hurts proved me wrong on the position I held until he forced me to abandon it.

I repeatedly stated that, while a freshman might be able to handle the physical requirements of the QB position under Saban, it was highly unlikely, bordering on impossible, for one to execute the mental / leadership aspects.

Turns out, the intangibles were what he was best at. That and his running ability. I would never have believed it, but it was plain to anybody with two eyes.

BTW -- I had crappy seats in Dallas...5th row. Only good thing about them was that I could actually see the QB's eyes. Barnett looked like he was about to hear a jury's verdict on charges of murder.

Hurts looked like he was at a scrimmage. I've rarely seen calm like that from fifth year seniors, let alone a guy barely 18.

It's something you can't teach or coach. The player himself has no control over it. They are born with that type temperament.

RollinTider1335

All-SEC
Jun 12, 2010
Spring Hill, TN
Quitters, quit. Fighters, fight. No matter what. Period.

BB first instinct was to tuck tail and run. This kid was given every opportunity and couldn't hack it when things got hard or when he fell behind.

This kid backed down from a challenge when dirt got in his grill.

Maybe he learns from this, maybe not. Fact remains, he was too soft to fight back into the game and competition. That is the bottom line.

Quitters don't win championships because things ALWAYS will go wrong. This is why is am so anxious to see how Hurts responds to losing the BCSCG. Will he be ....ed and come out next season hating to lose and wanting to win every game??? I'm hoping so....but not everyone's wired like me. ;-)

RTR

Last edited:

IMALOYAL1

All-American
Oct 28, 2000
Birmingham AL
I've rarely seen calm like that from fifth year seniors, let alone a guy barely 18.
He needs repetitions and more confidence from the coaches to let him throw over the middle and downfield. He's got some guys coming in that will push him not to become complacent. The one pass to 88 in the title game shows he can throw it.
I personally don't see anyone taking his starting spot away. If they do it will be because they're better than him.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.