Link: Blake Barnett going to Arizona state

TideEngineer08

TideFans Legend
Jun 9, 2009
Beautiful Cullman, AL
Alabama is not for the faint of heart. Even the strongest of competitors can fall short there. There is no shame in trying your best and failing.

There is a lot of shame in quitting and then lying about it.

westide

All-SEC
Jan 22, 2011
If you can't take criticism then playing QB in college might not be the best thing to do. AJ got spanked on TV. He didn't quit. He went on to win two NCs and is doing well in the NFL

Chukker Veteran

Hall of Fame
Feb 6, 2001
"He hurt me by giving me the reputation of being nervous." What a silly thing to say.

At that point, one game into the season, the only person's opinion that mattered was Saban's. Blake acts like word got out that he was nervous, and that the bad rep discouraged Saban from playing him. But it was Saban was said he seemed nervous in the first place.

To state the obvious...the bad rep that hurt Blake was the one of being a quitter, and that was his own doing.

Last edited:

TideEngineer08

TideFans Legend
Jun 9, 2009
Beautiful Cullman, AL
The thing is, Coach Saban never took a shot at him by saying he got nervous in the game. A mature young man would have taken his coach's admonishment/instruction/teaching and done everything he could to get better. Instead, Barnett obviously allowed the criticism to get to him and affect his play thereby proving the assertion correct that he couldn't handle the pressure.

Now, Coach's comments after he left the program were much more harsh but they were justified. And now Barnett can spout off, but he's still a loser. And he'll be a loser so long as he keeps his attitude of entitlement. At some point, hopefully for his sake, it will click and he'll mature and then he'll pair all of that talent with a winning attitude.

westide

All-SEC
Jan 22, 2011
I believe it was coach Stallings who said he was watching the kickers one day in practice. One of the kickers missed some kicks. He came over and told the coach that his watching made him nervous. Stallings said, "well son I plan on being at every game."

Crimson57s

1st Team
Aug 18, 2012
Imagine what Sims' and Coker's college football careers would have been remembered for if they had this kid's attitude.

IMALOYAL1

All-American
Oct 28, 2000
Birmingham AL
He hasn't won a starting position yet. If he can mature, gets comfortable with all the action going on around him during stressful game situations, we all know he has the arm. The road to the starting QB job is littered with kids who could spin a ball like a pro. Just never could do the other things you gotta do.

Too bad he and daddy never saw him as a 4 or 5 year project. I think he'll need at least that much time.

TIDEnGA

All-American
Sep 25, 2007
Opelika, AL
"But a certain coach went out to the media and said that I was and so I got that negative reputation from it."

Wow!!! Bitter much? :eek2:

4Q Basket Case

FB|BB Moderator
Staff member
Nov 8, 2004
Tuscaloosa
I was fortunate to attend several spring and pre-season scrimmages during Blake Barnett's time in Tuscaloosa. I saw his progress, such as it was, enough times that it couldn't be dismissed as a couple of off days.

He consistently made poor decisions with ball security. At first, I wrote it off to being a true freshman in college early. But he never improved. Other QBs progressed, but he didn't.

Quite literally, I saw him make several passes that looked like Mrs. Basket Case had thrown them. I'm not kidding or exaggerating. And trust me: MBC is my one great love. But she is not now, nor has she ever been, an athlete.

I have never played the game. I have watched a lot. Barnett was consistently either 3rd or 4th in my estimation of the order of preformance. Either he had better non-scrimmage practices, or he got the start against USCw based the fact that Hurts was a true freshman, and maybe a bit of his high school hype.

My personal guess is that the coaches knew Barnett didn't have the mental makeup to be the starter, but couldn't bring themselves to throw a true freshman into the breach.

Blake Barnett is a show horse. He looks great in workouts, and throwing against air with no rush. He has all the measureables, and a ton of physical talent. So long as he's the best player on the field, by a long shot, he looks unbeatable. But let him be challenged by athletes of similar caliber, and he tucks and runs like a schoolyard bully.

And now, he's publicly saying, in effect, "Coach didn't like me."

It's a mental shortcoming, not a physical one, and I do not expect Barnett to be any better in Arizona.

Al A Bama

Hall of Fame
Jun 24, 2011
"But a certain coach went out to the media and said that I was and so I got that negative reputation from it."

Wow!!! Bitter much? :eek2:
Well Blake, if it wasn't nerves that caused you to look SO BAD at the beginning of that game vs USC, what was it that caused you to look SO BAD? You should have SUCKED IT UP BUTTERCUP and proved Coach to be wrong. But maybe you didn't have the intestinal fortitude. You just want to place BLAME elsewhere instead of just looking in the mirror at the real problem and working hard to improve. Coach was CHALLENGING YOU and you FAILED that test BIG TIME.

Maybe it's best you moved on! You may have folded big time in a big game in the future. Here's hoping you CORRECT the problem that Coach said you possibly had at the beginning of that BIG game against that left coast team. I do think you have the talent. You've just got to get your mind right. I did see video that seemed to show that you were NOT CONFIDENT in what you were doing. Maybe I need to look back at that video to confirm my beliefs.

P. S. I think Coach selected the correct QB to lead Bama in 2016. I'm sure that Hurts you so bad to have a first year freshman beat you out as the QB starter. Hey! You had already been in the system for a year of PREPARATION! So, what was YOUR PROBLEM, if it wasn't NERVES? When Coach challenged you you FAILED to prove him wrong! I guess he could have said that you "stunk" at the beginning of that game "like a SKUNK". Would that have made you feel better?

MattinBama

Hall of Fame
Jul 31, 2007
Can some one remind me again how bad he looked against USC? From what I recall, we wiped the floors with USC..

There's only a little from before he was pulled out of the game (and most of my worries with him were written on his face and not on the field). He didn't look that bad but you can kinda briefly see how jittery he looked. Would he have settled down? Possibly. But Jalen didn't give him that opportunity. When he came back in with no pressure he did a lot better.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.