Link: Blake Barnett going to Arizona state

BamaMoon

Hall of Fame
Apr 1, 2004
Boone, NC
The tragedy of it is the kid isn't hurting Alabama as much as he's hurting himself. Sure, he's put a football team in a potential "bad" situation regarding a football game. By him quitting when he did he's laying seeds in his life that could grow "quitting" into his character. My dad raised me to finish what I started. I remember playing youth league football one season and hated the team and coach I played for. The coach had zero clue what he was doing, had a bunch of kids out there who didn't really care one way or the other. I wanted to quit. He told me "Son, you finish what you start. Even if it means doing something you don't want too." I have no doubt by him making me do that it instilled something into my character that helped me when I became an adult and had real problems.
I don't disagree at all. I never quit a team either and I, like you, played on a few bad ones.

But, in all fairness, it is different when it becomes about a potential career in the NFL.

I know he could've waited and lost the year to play, but when you're 19 or 20 and you've got your eye on the NFL, one year matters and it's a long time to wait.

Again, I'm not saying he did the right thing at the right time, but I can't compare my youth league experiences with his budding career choices.

BamaMoon

Hall of Fame
Apr 1, 2004
Boone, NC
We'll be sure to welcome him to the Pac-12 with a nice thorough pounding of ASU, Graham, and his stupid looking motivational speaker headset he wears on the sideline frequently. And Graham is a carpet bagger. He'll either leave or be fired within 2 years anyways.

But I don't blame BB for going to ASU. Not only was he clearly behind Hurts, but if you've ever been to scottsdale, you'll notice that they genetically engineer the women down there. The entire city and ASU campus feels like the Playboy mansion. It is kinda nutty down there.
Don't know if you know, but unless something has changed he's engaged to a super-model surfer girl type.

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
Tuscaloosa has plenty of attractive females. You just have never been.
The ones in Tuscaloosa don't dress like the ones in Scottsdale. I'm not going to post pictures, but there are plenty that show what HL is referencing. Plenty of engineering with their female fans IYKWIM.

huskylawyer

Scout Team
Dec 4, 2016
Seattle
Don't know if you know, but unless something has changed he's engaged to a super-model surfer girl type.
Yea, I've seen her and she's hot.

But honestly, she's a dime a dozen in Scottsdale...

I've been to many major college town in this country, and Scottsdale coeds are the best hands down by a long mile. Year round amazing weather, party school, close to Vegas and CA, and so so admissions = crazy coeds. The 2008 ASU Cheer Squad is the stuff of legends ha ha (they temporarily disbanded cheer squad due to that great squad and their partying ways).

As an aside, Notre Dame has the worst.

Last edited:

Loam

All-SEC
Oct 20, 2014
that should definitely be in blue.
To be fair, it IS the Pac 12. Nobody expected Washington to be here this season. I suspect that will be a dart board conference going forward in the near future. Take your pick on who wins that conference.

Isaiah 63:1

All-American
Dec 8, 2005
Probably at 35k or in an airport somewhere
This is a fitting choice for BB. Fairly or not, ASU's reputation has in part been as the school where California kids settled when they couldn't gain admission to, or succeed at, their first choice - stereotypically, USC. BB has just not only validated that part of ASU's reputation, but also extended it 1645 miles to the east.

Good luck to him...

GrayTide

Hall of Fame
Nov 15, 2005
Greenbow, Alabama
To be fair, it IS the Pac 12. Nobody expected Washington to be here this season. I suspect that will be a dart board conference going forward in the near future. Take your pick on who wins that conference.
I think you may be selling the PAC 12 short. Granted OU and UCLA have slipped considerably and Cal, OSU, WSU, CU and the Arizona schools are rarely competitive, but Stanford, Utah, USCw and UW under Petersen have very good programs. This is Petersen's third year and he has them in the playoffs, pretty damn good. It is a mistake to compare an entire conference to only Alabama. We will see if Washington has arrived on New Year's Eve.

Last edited:

CajunCrimson

Moderator (FB,BB) and Vinyl Enthusiast
Staff member
Mar 13, 2001
Breaux Bridge, La
Yea, I've seen her and she's hot.

But honestly, she's a dime a dozen in Scottsdale...

I've been to many major college town in this country, and Scottsdale coeds are the best hands down by a long mile. Year round amazing weather, party school, close to Vegas and CA, and so so admissions = crazy coeds. The 2008 ASU Cheer Squad is the stuff of legends ha ha (they temporarily disbanded cheer squad due to that great squad and their partying ways).

As an aside, Notre Dame has the worst.
Manti's girl was hot....

So hot she burst into flames.

Alasippi

Suspended
Aug 31, 2007
Ocean Springs, MS
I wish Blake the best. He committed when we basically ran a pro style offense, which suited him very well.
He can't help it if we changed philosophy.
Yes, he quit, but at least it was at the beginning of the season, and not what Cooper Bateman is doing.

Crimson1967

Hall of Fame
Nov 22, 2011
Since we have some Washington fans here, let me just say I will be cheering for you in at least one game next year.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

cuda.1973

Hall of Fame
Dec 6, 2009
Allen, Texas
I appreciate your take on BB and I agree. I think we ought to take the high road as much as is possible.

I know I'll be in the minority here, based on the comments of this particular thread, but it's pretty hard to judge what he did without being in his shoes.

Like Buzzard said, I don't like the timing either, but IF you were in his shoes things would have been less clear than we are making this out to be.

I think his parents probably didn't help him navigate this as much as they should've, but (if I understand this correctly) doing what he did allowed him to play in about 75% of the games next year when, if he would have waited to the end of this year to transfer he would have had to sit out the entire season next year.

Again, I didn't like it and I didn't like the timing of it, but I can personally not like what he did but wish him well in the future (outside of the rare chance we play them).

Hate to disagree with you but................

The timing stinks, on multiple levels. Imagine the poor dumb schlub, who is going to get benched, after 4 games, because someone promised his daddy that he would get to play, after his 4-game "suspension" runs out.

Hope that kid plays his butt off, and spoiled surfer boy has to look for another party college to transfer to. I'm sure his daddy will come to his rescue, again. I bet daddy will even give him a job, in his company, whenever he finally manages to get his degree.

On top of that.......the guy he plays for....................well, we never won a State championship here, until he left. No use for him, either. They deserve each other.

BamaMoon

Hall of Fame
Apr 1, 2004
Boone, NC
Hate to disagree with you but................

The timing stinks, on multiple levels. Imagine the poor dumb schlub, who is going to get benched, after 4 games, because someone promised his daddy that he would get to play, after his 4-game "suspension" runs out.

Hope that kid plays his butt off, and spoiled surfer boy has to look for another party college to transfer to. I'm sure his daddy will come to his rescue, again. I bet daddy will even give him a job, in his company, whenever he finally manages to get his degree.

On top of that.......the guy he plays for....................well, we never won a State championship here, until he left. No use for him, either. They deserve each other.
No problem. :wink: I'm a big boy and I realize I have a minority view.

It stinks for BB that his parents didn't help him with these things and tried to intervene with the Bama coaching staff.

Again, my perspective is that it's hard to be objective about this because we aren't in his shoes.

Snuffy Smith

All-American
Sep 12, 2012
Huntsville, AL
I wish Blake the best. He committed when we basically ran a pro style offense, which suited him very well.
He can't help it if we changed philosophy.
Yes, he quit, but at least it was at the beginning of the season, and not what Cooper Bateman is doing.
http://alabama.247sports.com/Bolt/Report-Cooper-Bateman-to-remain-with-Tide-through-CFP-49632571

It is being reported that Bateman will remain with Alabama through the playoffs. Given that, I don't have any issue with his decision and announcement.

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
Barnett tweeted a few minutes ago he's been cleared to play in the first game of the season. Not sure how he is, but he's been ruled eligible to play without waiting four games.

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
Barnett tweeted a few minutes ago he's been cleared to play in the first game of the season. Not sure how he is, but he's been ruled eligible to play without waiting four games.
Hope he never wins a game.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.