Of All People, Joel Klatt Vehemently Stands Up For Nick Saban(Good watch)

Alasippi

Suspended
Aug 31, 2007
Ocean Springs, MS
because he drew the short straw and had to take alabama in the yell match
Maybe, but for him to say..."Hey Bama fans, I was WRONG about Nick Saban", I thought it was pretty cool.
A guy that will walk up and tell you, "I'm sorry, I was wrong", is normally a pretty decent guy. At least in my experience.

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
Maybe, but for him to say..."Hey Bama fans, I was WRONG about Nick Saban", I thought it was pretty cool.
A guy that will walk up and tell you, "I'm sorry, I was wrong", is normally a pretty decent guy. At least in my experience.
Gotta give him credit. He admitted he was wrong last year. Not many analysts do that.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

gtowntide

All-American
Mar 1, 2011
Memphis,TN.
I'll give Klatt props for saying he was wrong, but I don't trust him. All these guys need "click bait" and FS1 is full of these blowhards. They'll pretty much say anything to get passionate fan bases stirred up.

BamaDMD

Hall of Fame
Sep 10, 2007
Rainsville Al
I'll give Klatt props for saying he was wrong, but I don't trust him. All these guys need "click bait" and FS1 is full of these blowhards. They'll pretty much say anything to get passionate fan bases stirred up.
Yep. How does it go with Don Henley, "Kick em when they're up, kick when they're down".

Intl.Aperture

All-American
Aug 12, 2015
Chesapeake, Virginia
These were semi-assigned roles but Klatt is defending his point genuinely. Take all their views and edge them a little more to the middle and you have where they really stand on this issue but they are produced to go to the extreme to increase drama/viewer outrage/engagement.

While Skip Bayless IS and ALWAYS will be an utter dolt he understands how ludicrous his position is here. He's the guy who's supposed to give a voice to all the people who loathe Bama (and they are legion). They just like to know/think that there is someone on tv who hates them and is as tired of Bama as they are. It helps that Skip doesn't like Bama that much but it's being overplayed for the drama.

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
Okay, so I watched it. It clearly comes in in the middle of a discussion in which Bayless recognizes Saban as a great head coach, but questions his credentials as a great defensive guy. He does this by pointing out a list of games in a 4 season span in which Alabama had less than stellar defensive performances - most of which they won anyway.

The response by the others was stupid. You don't win that debate by citing season long stats. Instead, you ask the obvious question. What team has had fewer than 12 games over the last 4 seasons in which their defense had less than stellar performances? If he can run off a list of greater coaches, he wins. He can't, because no defense has fewer.

If perfection is Bayless' standard for greatness, let's see that perfection elsewhere? He won't find it, because it is not possible to achieve. And comparing Harbaugh's success over a season or two in which he has won exactly NOTHING is silly. Saban's greatest accomplishment is his ability to do this again and again over an extended period of time. Let's talk about Harbaugh in a few years, if he is still around and has at least one ring.

As for Klatt - he recognizes Alabama's greatness right now, and has said so many times over the course of this season. I was okay when he didn't. He was and is entitled to his opinion. Just back them up with facts.

Last edited:

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
I wish they'd have Troy Aikman as a guest on "Undisputed" to debate Skip. It would be Jim Everett/Jim Rome 2.0 and hopefully this time a punch or two is thrown at the weasel's face.
You just can't answer his propped up hyperbole with propped up hyperbole of your own. That's what that show does, and it frustrates intelligent viewers. I don't even want to hear arguments that support my point of view on these shows with Bayless because of the way that they debate one another. It is pure idiocy.

They have straw men fighting straw men, layer after layer throughout the show. By the end of a segment, you forgot what the original question was.

bigjue24

Suspended
Dec 2, 2009
Okeechobee, FL
I used to enjoy these shows when they first came out. I liked PTI, and around the horn, but it has gotten to a place I just don't have any interest anymore. I watch a little bit of Gameday here and there, and some SEC nation. I have tuned out of most ESPN programming except for actual games, and even then I turn off the half time shows and never watch pregame. ESPN is losing viewers left and right, and losing money like _______ through a tin horn, thank you CNS for giving me this fun phrase. I think it is a result of these kinds of shows and political views being spouted when people just want to watch a sports show as escapism. I know Bayless is on Fox, but they are just running with the same model and it won't work well there either.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.