TiderJack

Hall of Fame
Jul 9, 2010
Inverness, AL

TiderJack

Hall of Fame
Jul 9, 2010
Inverness, AL
I believe Coach Saban has to sign off on both their releases and I would imagine he has told both they have to stick around through the play-off. I know there is a grace period at all schools for registering late and being able to attend class.

EscaTider

Hall of Fame
Oct 2, 2008
Flomaton, AL
It is what it is. Shouldn't come as a big surprise. We all knew this was a possibility once Jalen nailed down the starting job. It was obvious after the Ole Miss game that he wouldn't be letting go of it.

bodiddle

All-SEC
May 14, 2006
I believe Coach Saban has to sign off on both their releases and I would imagine he has told both they have to stick around through the play-off. I know there is a grace period at all schools for registering late and being able to attend class.
Yeah, I kept wondering why CNS would grant releases and leave us with no QB.

BamaMoon

Hall of Fame
Apr 1, 2004
Boone, NC
We just had a true freshman become SEC Offensive Player of the Year, Freshman of the Yeare, 1st Team QB All SEC Team, get in the Heisman conversation and break some qb records.

I don't see how anyone can blame Cornwell. He's got two years and the only way he continues in football at the next level is to play somewhere. He seems to love Alabama and Coach Saban, but he needs to get on the field somewhere.

Good luck Mr. Cornwell and RTR and best wishes where ever you land!!!

bamafaninOhiO

All-American
May 11, 2010
Dayton, Ohio
Get use to this. This is the future of college football. The youth these days expect to be immediate contributors. At Alabama it is going to be worse because of the talent we are recruiting out of high school.
That's not the case for either of them. They've both been at Bama for at least 2 years (Cornwell is set to graduate), and they've been team players throughout their time on campus. Now that a TRUE Freshman won the starting job, they know that if they want to play while they still have any eligibility left, their only option is to transfer.

I personally wish them both MUCH success, and appreciate everything they've done for the team

BamaGreek

All-American
Jan 6, 2007
Brentwood, TN
Such is life with college quarterbacks, especially when every QB on the roster gets beat out by a freshman sensation. We will get through the playoffs and then Saban will regroup. I would think Saban has been thinking all along that he would lose quarterbacks once Jalen took over and how he played.

FThomas

1st Team
Oct 18, 2011
Eh, I would say rather than it being "kids these days being immediate contributors", it is about rule changes that permit these transfers. 2 out of 3 are transferring after graduating from university after sticking it out for several years. The players Go to school with big dreams and love the game. The two transferring QBs Stuck it out even though they largely only played mop up duty if that. They Want one last chance to play college football as a starter. I understand it and empathize.

Last edited:

Alasippi

Suspended
Aug 31, 2007
Ocean Springs, MS
I thank David for his contributions and wish him well. However, that being said, I'll disagree with him and the statement he released. He said, "Although I never got that opportunity at Alabama". Well, I disagree. From the first moment he stepped into the Bama locker room he had every opportunity to learn, work out, practice, and get good enough to win the job.
The fact that he couldn't do it doesn't mean he didn't have an opportunity.
Still, he seems to be a great kid and I wish him well.
sip

day-day

Hall of Fame
Jan 2, 2005
Bartlett, TN (Memphis area)
I thank David for his contributions and wish him well. However, that being said, I'll disagree with him and the statement he released. He said, "Although I never got that opportunity at Alabama". Well, I disagree. From the first moment he stepped into the Bama locker room he had every opportunity to learn, work out, practice, and get good enough to win the job.
sip
The use of the word "opportunity" caught my attention as well but I don't think Cornwell meant it in a negative fashion. I think he meant it as he simply never made it to the field of play. I would feel worse about it if he had said something like the coaches never gave him the opportunity. All semantics I guess..

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
sip
IIRC, he's been injured every season since he's been on campus. While he's practiced and gone through spring practice, I'm not sure he's ever been 100% throughout an entire offseason. If that is the case, he really hasn't had the opportunity.

I'm not sure he's necessarily trying to kindly say "the coaches didn't let me show my skills."

Matt0424

All-American
Jan 16, 2010
Hoover, Al
I hope most of you realize these guys aren't chasing NFL dreams at this point, as a competitor you just want to be out on the field in that atmosphere.

I have no problem with either transferring as I have heard both (as the report above says) are staying through the playoffs.

I do hate that it leaves us with zero depth, but as much of a team player as these guys have been (and for CNS to give their release), I'm assuming that there is already a plan in place to bolster depth.

As for someone mentioning Morris, I have a better shot of backing up Hurts than he does. He's not leaving UM to sit behind a Sophomore here at UA. I highly doubt we'll see a transfer QB, unless it's a kid who just wants a chance at a title with no expectations of playing.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

CRMSNtide

1st Team
Jul 4, 2011
It's great to have a star true freshman QB, we could have him for 3 more years unless he goes pro, he can grow into a vet and take care of the QB position for awhile.

The fallout of that is the other QBs on the roster know they won't get a chance to play, its time to leave.
At least Tua seems fully committed, he can come in and sit on the bench and be ready if Hurts has an injury over the next few years.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.