David Cornwell Transferring

tidefanbeezer

All-American
Sep 25, 2006
Atlanta, GA
With QB, you can only have one on the field at a time, so with a young guy taking the reigns I'm not surprised that the guys behind him are moving on to other opportunities. I can't say I fault them.

I will give both Cornwell and Bateman credit. They have watched multiple guys line up in front of them for a few years and they are waiting until the end of the season the move one. Tip of the hat to both for sticking it out and best of luck to both.

GrayTide

Hall of Fame
Nov 15, 2005
Greenbow, Alabama
I hope most of you realize these guys aren't chasing NFL dreams at this point, as a competitor you just want to be out on the field in that atmosphere.

I have no problem with either transferring as I have heard both (as the report above says) are staying through the playoffs.

I do hate that it leaves us with zero depth, but as much of a team player as these guys have been (and for CNS to give their release), I'm assuming that there is already a plan in place to bolster depth.

As for someone mentioning Morris, I have a better shot of backing up Hurts than he does. He's not leaving UM to sit behind a Sophomore here at UA. I highly doubt we'll see a transfer QB, unless it's a kid who just wants a chance at a title with no expectations of playing.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk
I did not say Morris was coming to Alabama. I saw where he was leaving Michigan and was an experienced QB and meant say he would be someone to approach, that's all. If Tua is all he is suppose to be I don't see him sitting behind Hurts for 3 years unless he is redshirted.

uaintn

All-American
Aug 2, 2000
franklin, tennessee, usa
I don't take his "opportunity" remark badly. The alternative is "sucks that I was never healthy/good enough to win the starting job". I do not harbor any ill will toward either of these two. My thoughts on our third departure are for another thread.

Last edited:

Matt0424

All-American
Jan 16, 2010
Hoover, Al
I did not say Morris was coming to Alabama. I saw where he was leaving Michigan and was an experienced QB and meant say he would be someone to approach, that's all. If Tua is all he is suppose to be I don't see him sitting behind Hurts for 3 years unless he is redshirted.
He won't have to. Hurts only has two years left, if he grows as a QB at all. He's a 3 and done guy, which leaved Tua 2 years without Redshirt.

ccc2259

All-American
Oct 29, 2010
Lower Alabama
I certainly don't like seeing all the transfers, but it's a by-product of the talent and success Bama is having under CNS. I can live with that, wish the kids well in all future endeavors, and look forward to the next round of competition for our QB spot. Roll Tide!

bama2112

All-American
Nov 19, 2006
Cobb County, Ga.
I thank David for his contributions and wish him well. However, that being said, I'll disagree with him and the statement he released. He said, "Although I never got that opportunity at Alabama". Well, I disagree. From the first moment he stepped into the Bama locker room he had every opportunity to learn, work out, practice, and get good enough to win the job.
The fact that he couldn't do it doesn't mean he didn't have an opportunity.
Still, he seems to be a great kid and I wish him well.

I agree with what you say, kids need to proof read the crap they post. One word, I never earned that opportunity is what he should have said. I have a 17 year old and there are days I wish we did have an EMP and go back to car phones and fax machines.

Last edited by a moderator:

bamacpa

All-American
Jul 19, 2006
I can't fault either of one of them for pursuing some PT elsewhere. They handled it much better than that other kid who left.

Alasippi

Suspended
Aug 31, 2007
Ocean Springs, MS
IIRC, he's been injured every season since he's been on campus. While he's practiced and gone through spring practice, I'm not sure he's ever been 100% throughout an entire offseason. If that is the case, he really hasn't had the opportunity.

I'm not sure he's necessarily trying to kindly say "the coaches didn't let me show my skills."
Possibly so....I wasn't trying to be negative. Just saying that everybody who signs with Bama has "the opportunity".
Things happen, circumstances occur, but, at least, on day one, it's a level playing field with everyone having the same chance.

Alasippi

Suspended
Aug 31, 2007
Ocean Springs, MS
He won't have to. Hurts only has two years left, if he grows as a QB at all. He's a 3 and done guy, which leaved Tua 2 years without Redshirt.

Jalen, as great as he's been as a true freshman, doesn't resemble an NFL Quarterback. He resembles a very athletic Quarterback who uses his legs very well to get out of trouble, and to make some great plays.
Were he in the N.F.L., that "asset" would get him killed. Ask RG3.

LA4Bama

All-SEC
Jan 5, 2015
Los Angeles, CA

This has been a wide spread assumption, but I think at this point we have to face the real likelihood that Hurts will not develop as a passer fast enough to be a sure thing. He might. I would never say it's not possible. But he has a long way to go. Would he leave early without being a high draft pick? Probably not as a qb. QB have long shelf life but few opportunities. He'll be better off being as close to ready as possibly when drafted. All of this suggests he's just as likely to stay as go after 3.

I believe Tua absolutely needs to be able to redshirt so he can reasonably expect to have a chance to play two years; barring an injury to Hurts I would expect neither true frosh to play next year. But this means that we need to bring in a guy who is willing to be a full time back up, willing to take end of the game snaps. I suspect that person exists as a grad transfer from a lower division school who would be glad to just get some big game exposure and maybe a ring. I sure hope so.

RammerJammer14

Hall of Fame
Aug 18, 2007
UA
You know what they say. The most popular guy on campus is the backup qua.... oh wait

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
Jalen, as great as he's been as a true freshman, doesn't resemble an NFL Quarterback. He resembles a very athletic Quarterback who uses his legs very well to get out of trouble, and to make some great plays.
Russell Wilson would like a word.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
His dad wanted him to come to Bama, hoping our staff would teach him passing skills to prepare him for the NFL. I'd say that's still a work in progress...

TideMan09

Hall of Fame
Jan 17, 2009
Anniston, Alabama
His dad wanted him to come to Bama, hoping our staff would teach him passing skills to prepare him for the NFL. I'd say that's still a work in progress...
Exactly..Jalen has at times passed the ball with Joe Montana accuracy, then turns around, leaves ya scratching your head as to what he was doing while passing the ball..Pretty much a "Work In Progress" with True Freshmen growing pains..

crimsonaudio

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 9, 2002
crimsonaudio.net
As long as they finish the season I have zero problem with any player transferring.

Come up with an excuse to quit the team before the games are over? Quitter.

Hopefully both Bateman and Cornwell are better people than the quitter playing for the mighty Sun Devils next year...

Padreruf

Hall of Fame
Feb 12, 2001
Charleston, South Carolina
Sip...I respectfully disagree. As another poster noted, Russell Wilson uses his legs well. What RG3 did not do is use his to get out of trouble and to the sidelines. He tried to play RB as well as QB. RW slides if anyone comes close...he has learned that the DB's & LB's are really fast up there -- which is to what you were alluding. If JH continues to learn that his legs are for escaping to the sidelines, he can have a long career -- provided he learns how to throw accurately and deeply, etc.

What did surprise me in the SEC Champ. was that JH tried to spin out of trouble instead of throwing the ball away. He cost UA about 30 yards in losses...something he had avoided in the regular games. UF's speed may have surprised him.

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
Until/unless Jalen improves dramatically as a passer, the NFL will never happen for him. Remember the record holder for passing yardage at Alabama? Sims barely got a look and he is an infinitely better passer than Jalen right now.

I know that he will work as hard as anyone on the planet to improve. I really hope that he employees an off-season QB coach to help him in that part of his game. If he is able to get there with his arm, you guys might not lose a game for a long while.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.