Link: Inside the Failing of Tennessee Program Under Botch Jones

Con

Hall of Fame
Dec 19, 2006
Northern Hemisphere
Re: Inside the Failing of Tennessee Program Under Butch Jones

Gallatin, Murfreesboro, Jackson, Chattanooga, Oak Ridge, Nashville, and Memphis all have high schools with good football programs year in and year out. The town I live in, Milan, has produced several good athletes one, Avery Williamson, plays linebacker for the Titans. But he went to Kentucky.

The point is if the Vols do lock down the state, recruit nationally with success, and hire the right coach, perennial success is not out of reach.

Personally, I think they're on the right track with Botch and should offer him a big raise and an extension.:wink:
I agree that there are pockets of areas with pretty good athletes up here but I am always amazed at how horrible the football is here. I went to watch Shades Valley play one of the supposedly better teams in 7A football up here and I was shocked that Shades Valley beat them. Shades Valley had a couple of ballers at LB and RB that ran all over the Tennessee team. Tennessee high schools just don't have great athletes at the lineman postions more than anything from what I have seen. I don't believe there are enough good players to sustain a major college at the level that TN would like to be at.

NoNC4Tubs

Hall of Fame
Nov 13, 2010

Well I never said they couldn't. However unlike Alabama, Tennessee has not had any probation or scholarship limitations crippling their program yet they still have been in a black hole.
Not with Roy Kramer watching their back... :cool2:

Redwood Forrest

Hall of Fame
Sep 19, 2003
Boaz, AL USA

Music to my ears. I wonder how Phil Fulmar feels watching the Vols flounder. Hahaha.

How far has Tennessee football fallen? There is a thread on Vol Nation asking "do we pull for Bama and Vandy?" Hahahaha. Never thought I would see the day when Tennessee was worried about Vanderbilt.

Last edited:

bama2112

All-American
Nov 19, 2006
Cobb County, Ga.

Crimson1967

Hall of Fame
Nov 22, 2011

Music to my ears. I wonder how Phil Fulmar feels watching the Vols flounder. Hahaha.

How far has Tennessee football fallen? There is a thread on Vol Nation asking "do we pull for Bama and Vandy?" Hahahaha. Never thought I would see the day when Tennessee was worried about Vanderbilt.
I lived in Knoxville for eight years. You would be surprised how seriously they take the Vandy game as well as Kentucky. They really hate them. I get Vandy is in the same state but it isn't like they are on the same level.

Yes, Vandy won this year but it was an upset. But they get really pumped for these two games. The Kentucky game used to be the Beer Barrel game. But about 20 years ago Kentucky had a player get killed in a drunken driving accident right before the game and asked that it be dropped. They are mad about that as well. Not sure why you'd get excited over a "rivalry" you win 95% of the time. Especially if the other team isn't really a football school.

I lived there for all of Peyton's years and the next four. So they were at their peak then. But beating the Dynamic Duo of Kentucky and Vandy was really a big moment for them. Which struck me as dumber than throwing toilet paper in trees after beating someone.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Crimson1967

Hall of Fame
Nov 22, 2011

UTC could throw away the 500k check Bama writes them each time we play. Dont think if Phat Phil got the job we would reschedule them.
They hired someone else, but I think everyone on here would love to beat Coach Fullofmanure 60-0.

Crimson1967

Hall of Fame
Nov 22, 2011

I saw this on my Facebook feed today. This is from a game against Tennessee Tech, an FCS school.

This is not an official UT page, but it is still pretty sad.

I didn't think this deserved its own thread so I bumped this one. Getting excited about beating TTU fits in with their Life Championship.

Elefantman

Hall of Fame
Sep 18, 2007
R Can Saw

I saw this on my Facebook feed today. This is from a game against Tennessee Tech, an FCS school.

I didn't think this deserved its own thread so I bumped this one. Getting excited about beating TTU fits in with their Life Championship.

That game alone is worth giving Butch a 15 year extension to his contract.

Bodhisattva

Hall of Fame
Aug 22, 2001
Ponte Vedra Beach, Florida

When I first glanced at the picture I thought that was LSU, and I said to myself, "That's not true; Tennessee fans are so pathetic." Then I realized it was Tenn Tech, and I said to my self, "While that's true, Tennessee fans are so pathetic."

Redwood Forrest

Hall of Fame
Sep 19, 2003
Boaz, AL USA

Just a few years ago Tennessee was a power in the SEC and their HC was talking about how Bama was irrelevant now and going down. Now Tennessee is irrelevant and in dire financial straits (one reason for the el cheapo Butch Jones hire) and Bama is flying high and rolling in the cash. How Wonderful. Remembering all the lies Fulmer told on us and then their financial difficulties reminds me of a verse in the Bible saying "you have much money but you have nothing because you have holes in your pockets," implying they were thieves and liars. LOL, go Viles.:cool:,

Last edited:

Elefantman

Hall of Fame
Sep 18, 2007
R Can Saw

Just a few years ago Tennessee was a power in the SEC and their HC was talking about how Bama was irrelevant now and going down. Now Tennessee is irrelevant and in dire financial straits (one reason for the el cheapo Butch Jones hire) and Bama is flying high and rolling in the cash. How Wonderful. Remembering all the lies Fulmer told on us and then their financial difficulties reminds me of a verse in the Bible saying "you have much money but you have nothing because you have holes in your pockets," implying they were thieves and liars. LOL, go Viles.:cool:,
Once again proving what karma is.

PitMaster

Suspended
Aug 24, 2015

Life championships are invaluable

In blue font

BamaJama17

Hall of Fame
Sep 17, 2006
Hoover, AL

Well if they decide to fire CBJ, then who are they going to get that's better?? I'm not sure if there are any big name coaches that would take that job. As Selma said in the thread of "Most tortured fan bases", I too feel like it's hard to imagine them having a run like they did back in the 90's. They don't get Manning W/O Ole Siss being on probation, Alabama, UGA, LSU, Clemson, the Miss schools, and even South Carolina are getting recruits now that the viles would have gotten 20 years ago. It seems like the best they can hope for is a one year wonder type run. They like Nebraska and Notre Dame are products of a bygone era.

TideMan09

Hall of Fame
Jan 17, 2009
Anniston, Alabama

When I first glanced at the picture I thought that was LSU, and I said to myself, "That's not true; Tennessee fans are so pathetic." Then I realized it was Tenn Tech, and I said to my self, "While that's true, Tennessee fans are so pathetic."
They had to make a day of celebration for "Phat Phil" somehow..LOL

drwho

Suspended
Dec 11, 2013

55 points is what you get with 11 5* hearts working together . . .

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.