Link: Inside the Failing of Tennessee Program Under Botch Jones - Page 5
Page 5 of 13 FirstFirst 123456789101112 ... LastLast
Results 53 to 65 of 165
  1. #53
    BamaNation All-American
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    Vienna, VA
    Posts
    2,794

    Re: Inside the Failing of Tennessee Program Under Butch Jones

    Quote Originally Posted by Go Bama View Post
    High school football, contrary to popular opinion, is very big in Tennessee. Locking down the state would be easy for a good football program. While there are not as many recruits in TN as AL there is no Auburn to compete with.
    I've always heard, can't say if it's true or not, but part of UT's recruiting challenges are based on geography. Memphis and Nashville clearly have good HS football. The problem for UT is that Ole Miss, and Arkansas are far closer geographically, so they lose some recruits there. Historically Alabama recruited very well in Memphis. This success and bitterness over the success contributed to the Means situation. Nashville doesn't have quite the same challenge but Alabama has recruited well there also. My in-laws' view is that HS football in Knoxville is bad. All of this coupled with UT's recent struggles makes for a recruiting challenge.

  2. Advertisement
  3. #54
    BamaNation All-American mikes12's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    Chattanooga, TN
    Posts
    3,510

    Re: Inside the Failing of Tennessee Program Under Butch Jones

    If they were to get a great up-and-comer as HC, they'd have to compete with the NFL to keep him. It's one aspect that getting Saban when we did was such a blessing.
    Last edited by mikes12; December 14th, 2016 at 07:52 AM.

  4. #55
    BamaNation All-American Go Bama's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Milan, TN
    Posts
    4,363

    Re: Inside the Failing of Tennessee Program Under Butch Jones

    Quote Originally Posted by CapitalTider View Post
    I've always heard, can't say if it's true or not, but part of UT's recruiting challenges are based on geography. Memphis and Nashville clearly have good HS football. The problem for UT is that Ole Miss, and Arkansas are far closer geographically, so they lose some recruits there. Historically Alabama recruited very well in Memphis. This success and bitterness over the success contributed to the Means situation. Nashville doesn't have quite the same challenge but Alabama has recruited well there also. My in-laws' view is that HS football in Knoxville is bad. All of this coupled with UT's recent struggles makes for a recruiting challenge.
    Gallatin, Murfreesboro, Jackson, Chattanooga, Oak Ridge, Nashville, and Memphis all have high schools with good football programs year in and year out. The town I live in, Milan, has produced several good athletes one, Avery Williamson, plays linebacker for the Titans. But he went to Kentucky.

    The point is if the Vols do lock down the state, recruit nationally with success, and hire the right coach, perennial success is not out of reach.

    Personally, I think they're on the right track with Botch and should offer him a big raise and an extension.

  5. #56
    BamaNation Hall of Fame cuda.1973's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Allen, Texas
    Posts
    7,042

    Re: Inside the Failing of Tennessee Program Under Butch Jones

    Quote Originally Posted by BamaJama17 View Post
    Does anybody think Tennessee will ever be restored to their former glory???
    Don't keep up with all the latest machinations, but their entire athletic department has been in ruins, financially. Doubt our ol' buddy Dave Hart has solved that issue. Looking forward to more of the same, even with a new regime.
    "I will not be pushed, filed, stamped, indexed, briefed, debriefed, or numbered. My life is my own, to do as I please."

  6. #57
    BamaNation First Team BigAlinKnoxville's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2002
    Location
    Knoxville, TN USA
    Posts
    596

    Re: Inside the Failing of Tennessee Program Under Butch Jones

    Quote Originally Posted by BamaJama17 View Post
    Does anybody think Tennessee will ever be restored to their former glory???
    They already have, because part of their "former glory" is losing to us every year.


  7. #58
    BamaNation All-American
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Posts
    2,317

    Re: Inside the Failing of Tennessee Program Under Butch Jones

    UT appears to be condemned to college football hell or purgatory for the foreseeable future. Their current circumstances will only allow moderate success, and that only sporadically. They, along with 30 other programs, can become a power in cfb but first the BOT, pres, admin and athletic admin must become competent and get on the same page. Secondly, they have to find a great coach. Neither one of those requirements are easy. The first because so many entities are involved, the second because there are few great coaches.

    Alabama lay in ruins primarily because of her own incompetence mixed with arrogance - a toxic mixture. This led to a perfect storm of na´vetÚ, neglect, arrogance and incompetence at the high levels, as well as arrogance, incomptence, recklessness and corruption at the low levels (boosters and coaches), along with envy, jealousy, fear, hatred, corruption and petulance by her enemies and the NCAA, which resulted in long and crippling penalties with a malicious 10 year overhanging cloud.

    Thus, humbled, Alabama become wise, leading to its recovery. The BOT hired the right Pres, who hired the right AD who got the physical infrastructure in place and ultimately hired the right coach. They paid him, got out of his way and gave him free rein. The boosters gave him the funds he needed and lessened their time demands, the fans gave unconditional and enthusiastic support. Alabama was also fortunate, very fortunate that the best fit and best coach in college football was available and wanted to come.

    The reason almost no one else will be able to do what Bama s doing is that there is no one else like Nick Saban. That is the delimma that all other programs except a tiny few face. And even they will unlikely be able to match what this marriage made in heaven is producing. It's never been done before.

    He is squeezing the life out of the SEC and making it much more difficult for any program in the SEC, including UT, to have any consistent national success.
    Last edited by BamaInBham; December 13th, 2016 at 09:48 PM.

  8. #59
    BamaNation All-SEC bama2112's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Peach State
    Posts
    1,726

    Re: Inside the Failing of Tennessee Program Under Butch Jones

    Quote Originally Posted by BamaInBham View Post
    UT appears to be condemned to college football hell or purgatory for the foreseeable future. Their current circumstances will only allow moderate success, and that only sporadically. They, along with 30 other programs, can become a power in cfb but first the BOT, pres, admin and athletic admin must become competent and get on the same page. Secondly, they have to find a great coach. Neither one of those requirements are easy. The first because so many entities are involved, the second because there are few great coaches.

    Alabama lay in ruins primarily because of her own incompetence mixed with arrogance - a toxic mixture. This led to a perfect storm of na´vetÚ, neglect, arrogance and incompetence at the high levels, as well as arrogance, incomptence, recklessness and corruption at the low levels (boosters and coaches), along with envy, jealousy, fear, hatred, corruption and petulance by her enemies and the NCAA, which resulted in long and crippling penalties with a malicious 10 year overhanging cloud.

    Thus, humbled, Alabama become wise, leading to its recovery. The BOT hired the right Pres, who hired the right AD who got the physical infrastructure in place and ultimately hired the right coach. They paid him, got out of his way and gave him free rein. The boosters gave him the funds he needed and lessened their time demands, the fans gave unconditional and enthusiastic support. Alabama was also fortunate, very fortunate that the best fit and best coach in college football was available and wanted to come.

    The reason almost no one else will be able to do what Bama s doing is that there is no one else like Nick Saban. That is the delimma that all other programs except a tiny few face. And even they will unlikely be able to match what this marriage made in heaven is producing. It's never been done before.

    He is squeezing the life out of the SEC and making it much more difficult for any program in the SEC, including UT, to have any consistent national success.
    Iagreewithyoucomments,butyoudidleaveoutMalMoore.Wi thoutMalthiswouldhavenothappened.Atonetimewewereca llinghimMalfunction.Herightedtheship.Thatsgreat.Ih opeyoualllikehowthewebsitedoenstallowmetospacebetw eenwords..........oh...I...could...have....used... .periods......To....the....Owner.....of...the....B est...get....this......fixed,,,,please.

  9. #60
    BamaNation Hall of Fame
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Posts
    5,941

    Re: Inside the Failing of Tennessee Program Under Butch Jones

    Quote Originally Posted by BamaInBham View Post
    UT appears to be condemned to college football hell or purgatory for the foreseeable future. Their current circumstances will only allow moderate success, and that only sporadically. They, along with 30 other programs, can become a power in cfb but first the BOT, pres, admin and athletic admin must become competent and get on the same page. Secondly, they have to find a great coach. Neither one of those requirements are easy. The first because so many entities are involved, the second because there are few great coaches.

    Alabama lay in ruins primarily because of her own incompetence mixed with arrogance - a toxic mixture. This led to a perfect storm of na´vetÚ, neglect, arrogance and incompetence at the high levels, as well as arrogance, incomptence, recklessness and corruption at the low levels (boosters and coaches), along with envy, jealousy, fear, hatred, corruption and petulance by her enemies and the NCAA, which resulted in long and crippling penalties with a malicious 10 year overhanging cloud.

    Thus, humbled, Alabama become wise, leading to its recovery. The BOT hired the right Pres, who hired the right AD who got the physical infrastructure in place and ultimately hired the right coach. They paid him, got out of his way and gave him free rein. The boosters gave him the funds he needed and lessened their time demands, the fans gave unconditional and enthusiastic support. Alabama was also fortunate, very fortunate that the best fit and best coach in college football was available and wanted to come.

    The reason almost no one else will be able to do what Bama s doing is that there is no one else like Nick Saban. That is the delimma that all other programs except a tiny few face. And even they will unlikely be able to match what this marriage made in heaven is producing. It's never been done before.

    He is squeezing the life out of the SEC and making it much more difficult for any program in the SEC, including UT, to have any consistent national success.
    This is a post of Biblical proportion. Preach it Bro.

  10. #61
    BamaNation All-American Con's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    TN
    Posts
    2,789

    Re: Inside the Failing of Tennessee Program Under Butch Jones

    Quote Originally Posted by Go Bama View Post
    Gallatin, Murfreesboro, Jackson, Chattanooga, Oak Ridge, Nashville, and Memphis all have high schools with good football programs year in and year out. The town I live in, Milan, has produced several good athletes one, Avery Williamson, plays linebacker for the Titans. But he went to Kentucky.

    The point is if the Vols do lock down the state, recruit nationally with success, and hire the right coach, perennial success is not out of reach.

    Personally, I think they're on the right track with Botch and should offer him a big raise and an extension.
    I agree that there are pockets of areas with pretty good athletes up here but I am always amazed at how horrible the football is here. I went to watch Shades Valley play one of the supposedly better teams in 7A football up here and I was shocked that Shades Valley beat them. Shades Valley had a couple of ballers at LB and RB that ran all over the Tennessee team. Tennessee high schools just don't have great athletes at the lineman postions more than anything from what I have seen. I don't believe there are enough good players to sustain a major college at the level that TN would like to be at.

  11. #62
    BamaNation All-American
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Posts
    3,132

    Re: Inside the Failing of Tennessee Program Under Butch Jones

    Quote Originally Posted by BamaJama17 View Post
    Well I never said they couldn't. However unlike Alabama, Tennessee has not had any probation or scholarship limitations crippling their program yet they still have been in a black hole.
    Not with Roy Kramer watching their back...

  12. #63

    Re: Inside the Failing of Tennessee Program Under Butch Jones

    https://orangeandwhitereport.com/for...968#.cy192z4vf


    This was too funny not to share. A former Congressman says he has heard Fat Phil wants the UTC job.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  13. #64
    BamaNation Hall of Fame Redwood Forrest's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Location
    Boaz, AL USA
    Posts
    9,240

    Re: Inside the Failing of Tennessee Program Under Butch Jones

    Music to my ears. I wonder how Phil Fulmar feels watching the Vols flounder. Hahaha.

    How far has Tennessee football fallen? There is a thread on Vol Nation asking "do we pull for Bama and Vandy?" Hahahaha. Never thought I would see the day when Tennessee was worried about Vanderbilt.
    Last edited by Redwood Forrest; December 21st, 2016 at 06:13 AM.
    I do not believe in atheists, therefore they do not exist.

  14. #65
    BamaNation All-SEC bama2112's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Peach State
    Posts
    1,726

    Re: Inside the Failing of Tennessee Program Under Butch Jones

    UTC could throw away the 500k check Bama writes them each time we play. Dont think if Phat Phil got the job we would reschedule them.

    Quote Originally Posted by Crimson1967 View Post
    https://orangeandwhitereport.com/for...968#.cy192z4vf


    This was too funny not to share. A former Congressman says he has heard Fat Phil wants the UTC job.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bookmarks

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

 

TideFansStore.com: Get YOUR gear!