Link: Inside the Failing of Tennessee Program Under Botch Jones - Page 8
Page 8 of 13 FirstFirst 12345678910111213 LastLast
    BamaNation Hall of Fame

Re: Inside the Failing of Tennessee Program Under Butch Jones

Quote Originally Posted by TIDE-HSV View Post
    This is John Adams' take on playing Bama every year. I didn't see it in Allie's thread -

LINK
    Nothing lasts forever in college football. These people seem so short sighted.

I honestly don't remember anyone bemoaning us having to play Tennessee every year when we lost 7 in a row. I don't remember anyone within the Alabama camp openly pining for a move to the East division when Auburn won 6 in a row.

2. Advertisement

Quote Originally Posted by TideEngineer08 View Post
    Nothing lasts forever in college football. These people seem so short sighted.

I honestly don't remember anyone bemoaning us having to play Tennessee every year when we lost 7 in a row. I don't remember anyone within the Alabama camp openly pining for a move to the East division when Auburn won 6 in a row.
    Never heard Auburn claiming they fit in better with the East then either...... just now that they are on the losing end.
    Bama 918-319-44 73.4% On the field

26 SEC CHAMPIONSHIPS

BamaNation Hall of Fame GrayTide's Avatar

I like the idea of dropping cross division rivals and playing 2 East division teams on a rotating basis.
    "My momma always said you got to put the past behind you before you can move on." Forrest Gump

"The past is never dead. It's not even past." William Faulkner

BamaNation All-SEC

What's worse for Tennessee, I wonder: losers of 10 straight to Alabama, or losers of three out of five to Vanderbilt?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Isaiah 63:1 View Post
    What's worse for Tennessee, I wonder: losers of 10 straight to Alabama, or losers of three out of five to Vanderbilt?
    Yes.

Hahahahahaha
    “Namath is still Namath, but I must say that our guys were nice to him. I noticed when they knocked him down, they helped him to his feet. That was gentlemanly. I thought one stood around long enough to get his autograph.” - John McKay

FB|BB Moderator

Ouch! That's going to leave a mark.
    You can't reason a man out of a position he didn't reason himself into.

BamaNation Hall of Fame TideMan09's Avatar

When Coach Saban said he wanted to make those we play a** quit..He meant it & did it..

FB | BB Moderator

Vols fan: "somebody get the number on that truck!"
    I owe it to the people to have a signature...so here goes nothing!

Quote Originally Posted by crimsonaudio View Post
    Hey RTR91, you spelled 'Botch' wrong in the thread title.
    Thanks. My spelling is bad these days. I fixed it.
    "I don't know what class is but I can tell when one has it, you can tell from a mile away"
    -- Coach Bryant

"We always talk about playing 60 minutes but this is a 60-10 game: the 60 minutes of the game and the 10 minutes in the locker room after the game that you remember for the rest of your life."
    -- Nick Saban day after beating Clemson

FB|BB Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by crimsonaudio View Post
    Hey RTR91, you spelled 'Botch' wrong in the thread title.
    So many options that could work....it's hard to know exactly which vowel to choose.
    You can't reason a man out of a position he didn't reason himself into.

Quote Originally Posted by RTR91 View Post
    Thanks. My spelling is bad these days. I fixed it.
    Full Banjeaux to you, sir.
    “Namath is still Namath, but I must say that our guys were nice to him. I noticed when they knocked him down, they helped him to his feet. That was gentlemanly. I thought one stood around long enough to get his autograph.” - John McKay

BamaNation Hall of Fame 2003TIDE's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by GrayTide View Post
    I like the idea of dropping cross division rivals and playing 2 East division teams on a rotating basis.
    Agreed.

BamaNation All-SEC

I did a little research, and now think it must be the latter. Tennessee fans hate Vanderbilt the way we would hate Auburn if Auburn were a selective, private school in Birmingham with predominantly out-of-state students who cheered, "That's alright; that's okay; your gonna work for us someday" near the end of a more or less perennial football loss to us. Traditionally, Tennessee fans have used their football dominance over Vanderbilt to soothe their academic, demographic, and orthodontic inferiority complex; but in the last five years, the Vols have played football on par with Vanderbilt and better than only UK. Let these stats sink in awhile:

SEC East teams whose five-year records versus Vanderbilt are:
    Worse than Tennessee's (1-4 or 0-5) - Crickets.
    Same as Tennessee's (2-3) - UK.
    Better than Tennessee's (3-2 or better) - UGa, Mizzou (3-2); UF (4-1); USCe (5-0).

SEC Wins 2012-2016 (Most to fewest):
    27 - UF, UGa
    19 - (Mizzou, USCe)
    15 - UT
    14 - Vanderbilt
    8 - UK

Sure, they're 0-10 versus Alabama, but they can console themselves with history - three times in my lifetime so far, Alabama has had substantial streaks (six or more in a row without a loss) versus Tennessee. When each ended, the Vols went on at least a four game winning streak of their own. Vol fans can hope Saban retires, that we subsequently go into a slump, and they knock out four or more wins in a row, as has happened before.

There is no modern precedent for Tennessee's losing 3 out of 5 to Vanderbilt. The last time they failed to win at least three of five was 1925-1929, when they went 2-2-1, and that streak included the first four years of Neyland's tenure and a 2-1-1 record. Their current 2-3 span includes not only two losses to James Franklin on the front end, but a double-digit loss last season to Derek Mason's team that subsequently got pasted by perennial ACC powerhouse NC State.

Sure, it's always darkest before the dawn. I just don't know that Vol fans can have any confidence that dawn is approaching.