Link: Inside the Failing of Tennessee Program Under Botch Jones

MattinBama

Hall of Fame
Jul 31, 2007
I always enjoy this thread getting bumped with hopes of something else bad happens to the vols besides just a bad year in football.
Every day something bad happens to them. They wake up and they're Tennessee.

4Q Basket Case

FB|BB Moderator
Staff member
Nov 8, 2004
Tuscaloosa
Sankey also seemed a little slow to deal with the UF/LSU weather game fiasco.
I felt a little bad for him on that one.

Conference rules didn't give him the power to dictate, and the ADs were playing to fanbases and their own egos.

Still, if Sankey had acted on Monday or Tuesday, it might have been worked out. Or maybe not. The LSU AD was being a first class jerk, and I'm not sure he would have cooperated under any circumstances.

Did the conference ever pass the rule that would allow the commissioner to dictate in situations like this?

PitMaster

Suspended
Aug 24, 2015
Not defending Sankey, I've no idea if he's good or bad, but for all we know he was working like crazy behind the scenes dealing with that situation...
Sankey twiddled his thumbs during the whole Mo SmithSaga and let Alabama and Coach Saban take the heat for merely following an SEC rule

The Florida LSU mess look like the inmates were running the league

He allowed the league to vote to allow Florida to break another rule by allowing the Malik Zaire transfer

I think sankey's leadership has been flaccid and ineffectual

Chukker Veteran

Hall of Fame
Feb 6, 2001
Re: Inside the Failing of Tennessee Program Under Butch Jones

Phillip Fulmer is back at Tennessee.

The school announced Tuesday that Fulmer will serve as a special adviser to the president for community, athletics and university relations. Fulmer will basically be an ambassador at community and athletic events.

"This is a special opportunity for me. I've had the chance to work with [Tennessee president] Dr. [Joe] DiPietro for a couple of years in a volunteer capacity, and I was excited when he approached me with this position," Fulmer said via a release from the school. "I look forward to serving UT campuses statewide, our communities, and UT athletics for the greater good for our great state and the university."

http://www.cbssports.com/college-fo...er-as-special-advisor-to-tennessee-president/

So I can still hate the Viles. Fulmar, the gift that keeps on giving. :)
Update:

https://www.al.com/alabamafootball/index.ssf/2018/05/phil_fulmer_reaches_out_to_for.html

Here's an article about how Bill Battle has been helpful to Fulmer in Fulmer's role as AD.

If I were Battle I would say in a public fashion that his good relationship with Fulmer was destroyed when Fulmer decided to lie about Alabama while acting as a secret informant for the NCAA.

Evil Crimson Dragon

Hall of Fame
Feb 4, 2018
Marietta, GA

Update:

https://www.al.com/alabamafootball/index.ssf/2018/05/phil_fulmer_reaches_out_to_for.html

Here's an article about how Bill Battle has been helpful to Fulmer in Fulmer's role as AD.

If I were Battle I would say in a public fashion that his good relationship with Fulmer was destroyed when Fulmer decided to lie about Alabama while acting as a secret informant for the NCAA.
I just wouldn't help the Great Pumpkin at all

UAH

All-American
Nov 27, 2017

Bill Battle is a class act.
I lived in Knoxville during part of Bill Battle's tenure as head coach and attended Johnny Major's first spring game there. My recollection of that era is that Tennessee was a recruiting powerhouse under Doug Dickey representing a major challenge to the Tide. Dickey handed over the reins to Bill Battle (Recommended by Coach Bryant) in 1970 when he returned to Florida.

To say that Battle wasn't prepared for the job I believe would be a kind statement. At the end of the Battle era Tennessee fans had become convinced that they would never beat Alabama as long as Coach Bryant was there.

This is a way to say that my attitude toward Coach Battle is informed from that era.

Chukker Veteran

Hall of Fame
Feb 6, 2001

Back when the NCAA was picking members to be on that committee to decide who gets in the national championship game, as best as I recall, Battle was the AD at Bama and actually recommended Roy Kramer. :eek: Apologies if I am mis-remembering it.

crimsonaudio

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 9, 2002
crimsonaudio.net

TideMan09

Hall of Fame
Jan 17, 2009
Anniston, Alabama

It sure gives me that "warm n fuzzy" feeling anytime I see "failing" & "Tennessee Program" in a article headline..

deliveryman35

Hall of Fame
Jul 26, 2003
Gadsden, AL
I’ll always respect Coach Battle. While I don’t like his involvement with Fulmer, I DO understand it to some degree. Coaches have a special bond with their former players that often seems to transcend everything else.

Tidewater

Hall of Fame
Mar 15, 2003
Hooterville, Vir.

Back when the NCAA was picking members to be on that committee to decide who gets in the national championship game, as best as I recall, Battle was the AD at Bama and actually recommended Roy Kramer. :eek:
Because Tennessee Stud was not available?
OMG.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.