Link: Inside the Failing of Tennessee Program Under Botch Jones

UntouchableCrew

All-SEC
Nov 30, 2015
I don't know if I buy the "UT is in a black hole abyss and nobody can dig them out" narrative. Butch, for all his faults, recruited well, at least in the rankings. His problems were more about discipline, accountability, and toughness, IMO. I think a good coach could turn them around in relatively short order.

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama
I don't know if I buy the "UT is in a black hole abyss and nobody can dig them out" narrative. Butch, for all his faults, recruited well, at least in the rankings. His problems were more about discipline, accountability, and toughness, IMO. I think a good coach could turn them around in relatively short order.
No one is saying that they can’t recover, only that it will take someone who is an elite recruiter and a great ingame coach to do it. There aren’t that many out there. So with the horrible instate recruiting it’s hard to expect the programs like Nebraska and Tennessee to achieve anything better than Mike Shula did at Alabama.

UntouchableCrew

All-SEC
Nov 30, 2015
No one is saying that they can’t recover, only that it will take someone who is an elite recruiter and a great ingame coach to do it. There aren’t that many out there. So with the horrible instate recruiting it’s hard to expect the programs like Nebraska and Tennessee to achieve anything better than Mike Shula did at Alabama.
I'm very curious to see how Frost does at Nebraska. He's an ace recruiter and seems to be pulling talent form Florida already.

Redwood Forrest

Hall of Fame
Sep 19, 2003
Boaz, AL USA
Not really. Phatlock prevented it by getting Bama put on probation and Kiffin gave them hope with a decent recruiting class. Dooley is where this thing started because he is the first non national recruiter to be there. The truth is that Mississippi St is a better job than Tennessee and Nebraska because of the lack of expectations and the far superior instate talent. It will take someone that is a national recruiter or a big splash hire to flip the script
Well, Phatlock's last team went 5-7. Then follows 7-6, 6-7, 5-7, 5-7, 5-7, 7-6, 9-4, 9-4, and 4-8 so I give Phil credit for setting the trend.

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama
Well, Phatlock's last team went 5-7. Then follows 7-6, 6-7, 5-7, 5-7, 5-7, 7-6, 9-4, 9-4, and 4-8 so I give Phil credit for setting the trend.
I don’t think there is a better 10 year run in Vols history than 97-07. The truth is the Vols need serious outside help and inside consistency to be competitive. They need 2 of their 3 rivals to be down and take advantage of those teams recruits. Phatlock achieved this through the 95 and 00 sanctions.

rgw

Suspended
Sep 15, 2003
Tuscaloosa
I don’t think there is a better 10 year run in Vols history than 97-07. The truth is the Vols need serious outside help and inside consistency to be competitive. They need 2 of their 3 rivals to be down and take advantage of those teams recruits. Phatlock achieved this through the 95 and 00 sanctions.
I think Saban killed Phillip Fulmer's career trajectory well before coming to Alabama. That 2001 SECCG was a watershed moment because UT was legitimately the only college team talented enough to beat Miami but they never even got their shot due to that flop against a backup LSU quarterback.

NationalTitles18

TideFans Legend
May 25, 2003
Mountainous Northern California
I think 08-17 is probably the best 10 year run in their history from my viewpoint. :biggrin2:

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama
I think Saban killed Phillip Fulmer's career trajectory well before coming to Alabama. That 2001 SECCG was a watershed moment because UT was legitimately the only college team talented enough to beat Miami but they never even got their shot due to that flop against a backup LSU quarterback.
I don’t think anyone was beating Miami in 2001 but I do think Tennessee was the best team to compete with them.

Tennessee’s 01 and was 04 teams were pretty loaded but got donkey punched once and couldn’t recover. Phatlock had a problem beating good coaches and equally loaded teams. Manning never beat Florida is a great example.

mikes12

All-American
Nov 10, 2005
Chattanooga, TN
Phil’s days were numbered when Roy Kramer stepped down. Saban was just the final nail.

BamaInBham

All-American
Feb 14, 2007
Not really. Phatlock prevented it by getting Bama put on probation and Kiffin gave them hope with a decent recruiting class. Dooley is where this thing started because he is the first non national recruiter to be there. The truth is that Mississippi St is a better job than Tennessee and Nebraska because of the lack of expectations and the far superior instate talent. It will take someone that is a national recruiter or a big splash hire to flip the script
It's true that Neb's instate recruiting is still very poor, but the state of Tennessee has been having a stunning surge in producing Div 1 recruits. Primarily because of the massive recent growth in the Nashville area (over 2 mil now, Bham 1 mil). This year is a great year in Alabama with 2 5 star and 12 4 star recruits, Tenn has 14 4 star recruits. Tenn has 120 recruits listed by 247 sports, 4th in the SEC behind Texas 400+, Fla 250+, Ga 200+, Alabama is 5th behind Tenn with 113, Miss with 85... So, Tenn has 120-85 edge over Miss with no instate competition like OM. As well, even though Bama usually gets most of whom they want instate, AU still gets a few. i.e., UT already or will have an instate recruiting advantage over Bama since it has little instate competition. One new drawback to UT instate recruiting is that since most of the top recruits are now coming from the Nashville area with it's inordinate number of new and transient residents, they don't have the loyalty that most instate residents normally would. That issue is intensified by the fact that UT has been bad most of the new players' lives. Of course, they still have the problems posed by the odd geography of the state, especially regarding Memphis. It's bad fortune for UT that the state's 2 hotbeds for talent (8 of their 14 4 stars are from Nash alone, 5 of the other 6 are from Memphis) are not as easy to pick from as one would ordinarily think. But Tenn's dearth of instate talent is a thing of the past. It will only get better for the foreseeable future. (OTOH, Bama has historically had some success in the Nashville and Memphis areas.) UT does well in the Atlanta area. Pruitt has already had success there this year.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.