Launch of WGS-8 on Delta IV Rocket from Cape Canaveral

Bazza

TideFans Legend
Oct 1, 2011
New Smyrna Beach, Florida
They just shot another one up - I watched from my front yard - night launches are the best! Skies were partly cloudy so didn't see the whole trajectory but what I did see was a very cool looking deep orange color.

This one's going to put a new communications satellite in orbit that will assist our military operations.

The Wideband Global SATCOM, also known as WGS-8, is the eighth in a series of 10 satellites made by Boeing for troops in war zones.

crimson fan man

Hall of Fame
Aug 12, 2002
Athens Al
Everytime I see a launch it just amazes me the energy it takes to get things in orbit. The cost in itself is the biggest anchor for more space exploration.

Bazza

TideFans Legend
Oct 1, 2011
That would be pretty cool to watch from the front porch.
"Burning 2000 pounds of fuel per second." Holy smokes.
Yeah...talk about putting everything in perspective.....no matter how many launches you have seen....they never fail to leave you in a complete and utter state of amazement....

Elefantman

Hall of Fame
Sep 18, 2007
R Can Saw
I remember reading the main fuel pump in one of the space shuttle engine was powered by a 55,000 horse power turbine engine.

Bazza

TideFans Legend
Oct 1, 2011
Successful launch of the Pegasus XL this morning.....no video of launch yet but this was the takeoff of the Tristar L1011 aircraft carrying the bird....it was cool seeing it deploy :) Will post the actual launch later today...

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.