QB recruiting for this class

TrampLineman

Hall of Fame
Jul 21, 2010
Alabama
With Saban's desire to play the best player, I doubt that he would redshirt both. That said, he didn't put AJ on the field when he was clearly your second best QB in 2009, so who knows?
He could redshirt both as long as Hurts stays healthy and we have a decent walk-on that can take a snap and hand it off. Tua/Mac could still be the "official backup" if need be and we can burn the shirt just like I'm sure Coach would have done in Pasadena if McElroy couldn't go or was put out the game.

BamaMoon

Hall of Fame
Apr 1, 2004
Boone, NC
He could redshirt both as long as Hurts stays healthy and we have a decent walk-on that can take a snap and hand it off. Tua/Mac could still be the "official backup" if need be and we can burn the shirt just like I'm sure Coach would have done in Pasadena if McElroy couldn't go or was put out the game.
One thing to consider is our OL and RB depth should be very good next year too. We could probably win most of our games just going straight vanilla and 3 yards and cloud of dust with a guy who can get the snap under center and hand it off.

FThomas

1st Team
Oct 18, 2011
Alabama's been left in a difficult situation to manage. I partially blame the rise of recruiting services. Though five star ratings are rare they give four star ratings to a wide swath of players. Truth is that there are hundreds of factors that cause one player be successful and go to the NFL vs someone who is only a roll player in college. They all arrive with the expectation that they are due something and when that something doesn't happen they assume it's somehow not their fault and a different situation will resolve it. I am actually OK with the senior transfer thing. I think it's nice that a kid who has been loyal to his school but hasn't been able to play can go take a shot. But what they are going to find are more players who are D1 recruits fighting for playing time. Alec Morris went to North Texas and started the first game, they lost, he was benched, and that was it. Not everybody is going to be Aaron Rogers and do insurance commercials.
Just to be accurate. Alec Morris, was benched in the second game, and then came back at the end of the year to play most of the final three games, including a North Texas victory over Southern Miss. Basically, he still had to compete as you mentioned, but he did get some significant playing time in the last year he will ever play competitive football in his life.

CMPATTYDSCMP%YPALNGTDINTSACKRATRAW QBRADJ QBR

day-day

Hall of Fame
Jan 2, 2005
Bartlett, TN (Memphis area)
Just to be accurate. Alec Morris, was benched in the second game, and then came back at the end of the year to play most of the final three games, including a North Texas victory over Southern Miss. Basically, he still had to compete as you mentioned, but he did get some significant playing time in the last year he will ever play competitive football in his life.

CMPATTYDSCMP%YPALNGTDINTSACKRATRAW QBRADJ QBR
Looked like 55 TD's with 6 INT's...not bad!:)

TiderJack

Hall of Fame
Jul 9, 2010
Inverness, AL
We do have walk on qbs that's pretty good. I think We'll see three of them getting enough reps in the spring to see if Saban feel confident with them. It's not a sure thing Tua will be a back up next year because saban might redshirt him and Jones as well.
Unless we get a graduate transfer or JUCO QB, Tua or Jones is going to be the back-up. Who are the three walk-on QB's you are talking about? Walk-ons don't get schollies for a reason at this level and I can't see us ever going into a season with a walk-on as the back-up.

Edit: I just saw your other posts about the walk-ons that are on the roster. I stand by my comment.

Last edited:

JustNeedMe81

Hall of Fame
Sep 30, 2011
Huntsville, Al
Unless we get a graduate transfer or JUCO QB, Tua or Jones is going to be the back-up. Who are the three walk-on QB's you are talking about? Walk-ons don't get schollies for a reason at this level and I can't see us ever going into a season with a walk-on as the back-up.

Edit: I just saw your other posts about the walk-ons that are on the roster. I stand by my comment.
I think there's a difference between walk on and preferred walk on. All I'm saying is just don't count them out. This isn't like any other college program that anyone can walk on at Alabama. There is reason why I included the tape of them from high school. Josh Palet and Montana Murphy: Don't count them out just yet. I seriously doubt we'll take in JUCO QB or take a third qb in this class. I'm not saying they will be a starter, but they will get a chance to compete in the spring. That's all you can ask for if you were the recruits. It does make sense to redshirt Tua and Mac to buy the coaching staff time and allow them to develop properly way.

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
I think there's a difference between walk on and preferred walk on. All I'm saying is just don't count them out. This isn't like any other college program that anyone can walk on at Alabama. There is reason why I included the tape of them from high school. Josh Palet and Montana Murphy: Don't count them out just yet. I seriously doubt we'll take in JUCO QB or take a third qb in this class. I'm not saying they will be a starter, but they will get a chance to compete in the spring. That's all you can ask for if you were the recruits. It does make sense to redshirt Tua and Mac to buy the coaching staff time and allow them to develop properly way.
Of course they're going to get a chance to compete in the Spring. There aren't many other options, so the coaches will be forced to let them compete.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.