News Article: Greg Lake: King Crimson and ELP star dies aged 69

Bamaro

TideFans Legend
Oct 19, 2001
Jacksonville, Md USA
Greg Lake, who fronted both King Crimson and Emerson, Lake and Palmer, has died aged 69.

One of the founding fathers of progressive rock, the British musician is known for songs including In the Court of the Crimson King and his solo hit I Believe in Father Christmas.

He died on Wednesday after "a long and stubborn battle with cancer", said his manager.

The news comes nine months after Lake's band-mate Keith Emerson died.:frown:
http://www.bbc.com/news/entertainment-arts-38251936

crimsonaudio

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 9, 2002
crimsonaudio.net
We lost both Keith Emerson and Greg Lake in 2016. That sucks. I was privileged to work on the remastering of ELP and Tarkus a few years ago - such amazingly talented dudes...

Bodhisattva

Hall of Fame
Aug 22, 2001
Ponte Vedra Beach, Florida
Dang, this year has been brutal on good musicians.

So long, Greg. Thanks for the memories. :(

All of the progressive rock legends are getting up there. Cherish the Robert Fripps and Tony Levins of the world while we still have them.
On one of our first dates, I took my wife to see Tony Levin (in all his funk finger glory) at a small venue here in Northern Virginia. That had to be 13 or 14 years ago. Jeez, time flies. It was a great show.

AUDub

Hall of Fame
Dec 4, 2013
Give me ambiguity or give me something else.
Dang, this year has been brutal on good musicians.

On one of our first dates, I took my wife to see Tony Levin (in all his funk finger glory) at a small venue here in Northern Virginia. That had to be 13 or 14 years ago. Jeez, time flies. It was a great show.
He truly is one of the greatest bassists still with us. A bona fide virtuoso. First heard of him back when he first did that Liquid Tension Experiment supergroup with Rudess, Portnoy and Petrucci of Dream Theater fame. Check out their 2008 LA show. Fun watching him tear up a Chapman stick and pace 3 awesome musicians 20 years his junior.

Bazza

TideFans Legend
Oct 1, 2011
New Smyrna Beach, Florida
Heard the sad news on the radio this morning....couldn't believe it. 69 years old is way too young. Then they said that damn C word... :(

Greg Lake was so incredibly gifted musically and he had an AMAZING voice - probably my favourite male rock vocalist. Such a cool cat and of course the consummate musician. Much respect for a man who never stopped playing his entire life.

Was privileged to see ELP play in Gainesville in early 70's and they blew me (and everyone else in attendance) away.

Well Greg...you and Keith are now reunited....and heaven is surely a more beautiful place.

Godspeed and thank you for bringing so much happiness into the world....

cuda.1973

Hall of Fame
Dec 6, 2009
Allen, Texas
OK, since Carl Palmer is the only one left alive..................who can name the band he started with? (And, no, it was not Atomic Rooster.) (Hint: only weirdos, like me bought that album.) (OK, another hint..................what expression was Beavis banned from saying, after some, uh.............idiots...........took it too seriously.)

Bamaro

TideFans Legend
Oct 19, 2001
Jacksonville, Md USA
OK, since Carl Palmer is the only one left alive..................who can name the band he started with? (And, no, it was not Atomic Rooster.) (Hint: only weirdos, like me bought that album.) (OK, another hint..................what expression was Beavis banned from saying, after some, uh.............idiots...........took it too seriously.)
I am the god of hellfire and I bring you . . . FIRE (?)

Last edited:

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.