CIA: Russia influenced election to help Trump win

Status
Not open for further replies.

MattinBama

Hall of Fame
Jul 31, 2007
What 'dirty play' did they do, though?
Not guessing how much impact it has but it does have some.

For searching purposes: Youtube Full Frontal Russian Thinkfluencers.

There are Americans that do this too but there's a large scale operation out of Russia. PR firms successfully use this tactic as well for various things. Supposedly Casey Anthony's defense lawyers used it once upon a time to help sway the discussion online.

Last edited:

CharminTide

Hall of Fame
Oct 23, 2005
Do you think we don't do the same? It's all a game on the global scale.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk
I don't agree with our past efforts to influence governments in the developing world. It seems to backfire more than help, and only seeds resentment.

That said, I don't believe the US has attempted a large scale, modern espionage operation aimed at manipulating the election of a country as large and powerful as Russia. If we had and Russia learned of it, how do you think they would respond?

Relayer

Hall of Fame
Mar 25, 2001
That said, I don't believe the US has attempted a large scale, modern espionage operation aimed at manipulating the election of a country as large and powerful as Russia. If we had and Russia learned of it, how do you think they would respond?
I have no idea how the Russians would respond, but it's a good question.

How do you think they would respond?

And how should the US respond to them getting Trump elected?

CharminTide

Hall of Fame
Oct 23, 2005
Indeed. Indeed it does.

Reading between the lines of the CIA briefing, Russia hacked and leaked Democratic secrets to discredit them in favor of their preferred candidate, and are holding hacked Republican secrets hostage. What kind of influence (or blackmail, if you prefer the cynical term) do they have over the ruling party in the U.S. government? I'm honestly surprised that you don't seem to care about this.

Tide1986

Suspended
Nov 22, 2008
Birmingham, AL
https://www.washingtonpost.com/worl...d324840106c_story.html?utm_term=.8737521e54c7

The divergent messages from the CIA and the FBI put a spotlight on the difficulty faced by intelligence and law enforcement officials as they try to draw conclusions about the Kremlin’s motives for hacking Democratic Party emails during the 2016 race. Officials are frequently looking at information that is fragmentary. They also face issues assessing the intentions of a country expert at conducting sophisticated “influence” operations that made it hard — if not impossible — to conclusively detect the Kremlin’s elusive fingerprints.

The competing messages, according to officials in attendance, also reflect cultural differences between the FBI and the CIA. The bureau, true to its law enforcement roots, wants facts and tangible evidence to prove something beyond all reasonable doubt. The CIA is more comfortable drawing inferences from behavior.

I wonder if similar inferences gave us weapons of mass destruction in Iraq.

Bamaro

TideFans Legend
Oct 19, 2001
Jacksonville, Md USA
Apparently 17 US intelligence agencies agree that Russia is behind the hacking. I'm not sure whats worse, that we were hacked by Russia or that there are 17 different intelligence agencies.:eek:

NationalTitles18

TideFans Legend
May 25, 2003
Mountainous Northern California
Meanwhile, we have a non-anonymous person speaking on the record:

http://www.katoikos.eu/interview/ic...he-fbi-ogmundur-jonasson-in-an-interview.html

You are “the minister” who refused to cooperate with the FBI because you suspected their agents on mission in Iceland were of trying to frame Julian Assange. Do you confirm this?[FONT=&quot]Yes. What happened was that in June 2011, US authorities made some approaches to us indicating they had knowledge of hackers wanting to destroy software systems in Iceland. I was a minister at the time. They offered help. I was suspicious, well aware that a helping hand might easily become a manipulating hand![/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Later in the summer, in August, they sent a planeload of FBI agents to Iceland seeking our cooperation in what I understood as an operation set up to frame Julian Assange and WikiLeaks.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Since they had not been authorised by the Icelandic authorities to carry out police work in Iceland and since a crack-down on WikiLeakswas not on my agenda, to say the least, I ordered that all cooperation with them be promptly terminated and I also made it clear that they should cease all activities in Iceland immediately.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]If I had to take sides with either WikiLeaks or the FBI or CIA, I would have no difficulty in choosing: I would be on the side of WikiLeaks.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]It was also made clear to them that they were to leave the country. They were unable to get permission to operate in Iceland as police agents, but I believe they went to other countries, at least to Denmark. I also made it clear at the time that if I had to take sides with either WikiLeaks or the FBI or CIA, I would have no difficulty in choosing: I would be on the side of WikiLeaks.[/FONT]
Now, is this fellow trustworthy? I don't know. I would posit, though, that his words compare favorably to anonymous sources supposedly in the CIA citing still secret supposed evidence that can't be viewed by anyone anywhere at any time to this point. The latter sources may well turn out to be correct. If so, that would be concerning. Color me not impressed for the time being.

CajunCrimson

Moderator (FB,BB) and Vinyl Enthusiast
Staff member
Mar 13, 2001
Breaux Bridge, La
so....in summary. The various intelligent agencies who Trump has vowed to fire and replace after his inauguration, have agreed that the Russians hacked and released TRUE and FACTUAL damning emails to the media, who scarcely reported on them outside of Fox, Drudge and other right-wing whacko-bird websites in order to get Trump elected.

The left is upset because these far right websites that reported these leaked true and factual emails that very few people heard about and even fewer read and even fewer understood. And they believe that these leaked true and factual emails tipped the balance in Florida, Ohio, Wisconsin, PA and Michigan.

The left is also upset that the Russians did NOT release true and factual communications about the RNC that they believe would have damaged the republicans chances of winning the WH and retaining the Senate.

Yet these intelligence agencies that Trump has vowed to fire and replace could not locate this same set of TRUE and FACTUAL emails on their own and are only now made aware of the situation many weeks later

I'm sure I'm missing something. But does that bring me up to date?

Jon

Hall of Fame
Feb 22, 2002
Atlanta 'Burbs
Indeed. Indeed it does.

Reading between the lines of the CIA briefing, Russia hacked and leaked Democratic secrets to discredit them in favor of their preferred candidate, and are holding hacked Republican secrets hostage. What kind of influence (or blackmail, if you prefer the cynical term) do they have over the ruling party in the U.S. government? I'm honestly surprised that you don't seem to care about this.
ends justify the means apparently

I find that pathetic

seebell

Hall of Fame
Mar 12, 2012
Gurley, Al
The leaked Clinton emails were reported nightly by MSNBC, CNN and other MSM. I saw it with my own beady little eyes. Don't recall seeing any leaked emails about the Republicans.

Glad to set the record straight.

CajunCrimson

Moderator (FB,BB) and Vinyl Enthusiast
Staff member
Mar 13, 2001
Breaux Bridge, La
The leaked Clinton emails were reported nightly by MSNBC, CNN and other MSM. I saw it with my own beady little eyes. Don't recall seeing any leaked emails about the Republicans.

Reported how? As a good thing ? Or a bad thing?

TheAccountant

All-SEC
Mar 22, 2011
Birmingham

Maybe the Russians released the stolen Trump tax return and grab her by the vagina tape? Lack of dirt on Trump certainly wasn't (or shouldn't have been) an issue for the Democrats.

Tide1986

Suspended
Nov 22, 2008
Birmingham, AL
For some reason the FBI seems to think th RNC was not hacked:

http://abcnews.go.com/Politics/reince-priebus-rnc-hacked/story?id=44110357

"We contacted the FBI months ago when the [alleged hacking of the Democratic National Committee] issue came about. They reviewed all of our systems. We have hacking-detection systems in place, and the conclusion was then, as it was again two days ago when we went back to the FBI to ask them about this, that the RNC was not hacked," Priebus said today on ABC News' "This Week."

Last edited:

CharminTide

Hall of Fame
Oct 23, 2005
Conway said there is no evidence that Russia had interfered to get Trump elected, and that the Post story had no on-the-record sources. "He thinks that people are trying to re-litigate the election."

Conway said Trump does respect the intelligence community, adding that Trump did not divulge top-secret briefings he has received as president-elect.

But Dickerson pressed further. "How can he both respect the intelligence community and then think that what they're saying to him is laughable?" he asked. "There seems to be a disconnect."

Conway said respecting intelligence agencies and calling their own findings laughable are "completely compatible. He absolutely respects the intelligence community," she said. "He's made it very clear, he's going to put his own people in there as well."
Comforting.

Kellyanne Conway calls CIA report on Russian election meddling ‘laughable and ridiculous’

Wilson Monroe

1st Team
Jul 19, 2016
to which emails are you referring?

Sorry for the late response. The article talked about the hacked emails that the Russian government assisted in releasing and coordinating with WikiLeaks in a timely manner to affect the election. I was talking about that.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.