CIA: Russia influenced election to help Trump win

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tidewater

Hall of Fame
Mar 15, 2003
Hooterville, Vir.
Indeed. Indeed it does.

Reading between the lines of the CIA briefing, Russia hacked and leaked Democratic secrets to discredit them in favor of their preferred candidate, and are holding hacked Republican secrets hostage. What kind of influence (or blackmail, if you prefer the cynical term) do they have over the ruling party in the U.S. government? I'm honestly surprised that you don't seem to care about this.
Why would you think I don't care about it? Just a hint, "sucks" implies I disapprove. Of both cases.

I do find it amusing that Obama does not know the impropriety of telling foreigners how to vote on their own affairs, but is such a pathetically poor leader, that his improper intervention actually led to the results he opposed.

CharminTide

Hall of Fame
Oct 23, 2005
Why would you think I don't care about it? Just a hint, "sucks" implies I disapprove. Of both cases.

I do find it amusing that Obama does not know the impropriety of telling foreigners how to vote on their own affairs, but is such a pathetically poor leader, that his improper intervention actually led to the results he opposed.
I'm glad that you care. When you shroud your criticism of Trump with your hatred of Obama, it can be hard to tell.

Tide1986

Suspended
Nov 22, 2008
Birmingham, AL
Maybe an investigation will conclude something like the following:

http://www.washingtontimes.com/news/2016/jul/12/obama-admin-sent-taxpayer-money-oust-netanyahu/

“The State Department ignored warnings signs and funded a politically active group in a politically sensitive environment with inadequate safeguards,” said Sen. Rob Portman, chairman of the investigative subcommittee. “It is completely unacceptable that U.S. taxpayer dollars were used to build a political campaign infrastructure that was deployed — immediately after the grant ended — against the leader of our closest ally in the Middle East. American resources should be used to help our allies in the region, not undermine them.”

Tidewater

Hall of Fame
Mar 15, 2003
Hooterville, Vir.
I'm glad that you care. When you shroud your criticism of Trump with your hatred of Obama, it can be hard to tell.
I don't hate Obama. I just think he's an awful president. In some ways the worst president the United States have ever had.

As for the hacking, there is a building international consensus that cyberattack is a casus belli, but it depends on effects of the cyberattack. If country A hacks Country B's air traffic control system causing two planes to collide, most countries would regard that as a casus belli, the same as if country A had launched an anti-aircraft missile.
Breaking into the DNC's emails would probably not rise to that level (unless you can demonstrate which Americans were killed as a result of the hacking, or something of similar gravity).
I get it. You're butt hurt. Your candidate lost and you're grasping at straws to make yourself feel better. I am unconvinced that the leaked DNC emails swayed large numbers of American voters. The FSB (or SVR or GRU) broke into the email server, which is a violation of the law. If we can catch the individuals who did this, I'd be all for prosecuting them. By way of comparison, FSB goons murdered a Russian dissident with polonium. The goons got away and Putin refuses to hand them over to the UK for trial. I don't think the US will ever get their hands on the Russians who broke into the DNC server. That's why I said this is an area in which an ounce of prevention is better than a pound of cure.
I am all for investigating this, but do not be disappointed if either (a) no conclusive evidence will come to light implicating Russia or (b) conclusive evidence will be found, but cannot be released in public because it will reveal sources and methods (the Coventry Conundrum). Either way, you're going to be left unsatisfied.

Jon

Hall of Fame
Feb 22, 2002
Atlanta 'Burbs
I don't hate Obama. I just think he's an awful president. In some ways the worst president the United States have ever had.

As for the hacking, there is a building international consensus that cyberattack is a casus belli, but it depends on effects of the cyberattack. If country A hacks Country B's air traffic control system causing two planes to collide, most countries would regard that as a casus belli, the same as if country A had launched an anti-aircraft missile.
Breaking into the DNC's emails would probably not rise to that level (unless you can demonstrate which Americans were killed as a result of the hacking, or something of similar gravity).
I get it. You're butt hurt. Your candidate lost and you're grasping at straws to make yourself feel better. I am unconvinced that the leaked DNC emails swayed large numbers of American voters. The FSB (or SVR or GRU) broke into the email server, which is a violation of the law. If we can catch the individuals who did this, I'd be all for prosecuting them. By way of comparison, FSB goons murdered a Russian dissident with polonium. The goons got away and Putin refuses to hand them over to the UK for trial. I don't think the US will ever get their hands on the Russians who broke into the DNC server. That's why I said this is an area in which an ounce of prevention is better than a pound of cure.
I am all for investigating this, but do not be disappointed if either (a) no conclusive evidence will come to light implicating Russia or (b) conclusive evidence will be found, but cannot be released in public because it will reveal sources and methods (the Coventry Conundrum). Either way, you're going to be left unsatisfied.
you had me till Butt hurt, stop and realize that those of us that you accuse of being butt hurt because of the results of the election were trying to bring this subject up on nonsports when all of us knew that Trump had no way of winning. Clearly we weren't ok with this even when we thought we'd win

and there is no way I could be satisfied with an antagonistic foreign power affecting our election

Tide1986

Suspended
Nov 22, 2008
Birmingham, AL
you had me till Butt hurt, stop and realize that those of us that you accuse of being butt hurt because of the results of the election were trying to bring this subject up on nonsports when all of us knew that Trump had no way of winning. Clearly we weren't ok with this even when we thought we'd win

and there is no way I could be satisfied with an antagonistic foreign power affecting our election
"Affecting"? What's your evidence?

Tidewater

Hall of Fame
Mar 15, 2003
Hooterville, Vir.
I thought you did not a Democrat. So who is "we?"
I have not seen any evidence that this had any effect on the election?
So, were there millions of Clinton supporters a few weeks before the election who read the DNC emails and said to themselves, "Shazam. That does it. I'm voting for Trump." I just don't see any evidence of that.

crimson fan man

Hall of Fame
Aug 12, 2002
Athens Al
It comes down to who trust what the government tells them about what really went on. To be honest I don't believe anything what this government tells us.

Jon

Hall of Fame
Feb 22, 2002
Atlanta 'Burbs
I thought you did not a Democrat. So who is "we?"

I have not seen any evidence that this had any effect on the election?
So, were there millions of Clinton supporters a few weeks before the election who read the DNC emails and said to themselves, "Shazam. That does it. I'm voting for Trump." I just don't see any evidence of that.
We as in us as in those of us that voted for Hilary Clinton

yes I did that, first time I've ever voted Democrat because I find Putin's puppet to be too dangerous to risk voting for Gary Johnson on the off chance that GA would be close

and I never made that claim, not once though I know a lot of people who said "I just can't vote for Her either so I just won't vote" plenty of them

Tide1986

Suspended
Nov 22, 2008
Birmingham, AL

yes I did that, first time I've ever voted Democrat because I find Putin's puppet to be too dangerous to risk voting for Gary Johnson on the off chance that GA would be close

and I never made that claim, not once though I know a lot of people who said "I just can't vote for Her either so I just won't vote" plenty of them
Are you saying that it would've been better for all the dirty tricks to have remained secret so all those who didn't vote would've come out and voted for Hillary?

Jon

Hall of Fame
Feb 22, 2002
Atlanta 'Burbs
Are you saying that it would've been better for all the dirty tricks to have remained secret so all those who didn't vote would've come out and voted for Hillary?
I think Hillary is a far less dangerous person than Trump for the short and long term health of our Country. Basically I agree with Putin that he is far, far worse for us

Tidewater

Hall of Fame
Mar 15, 2003
Hooterville, Vir.

Your reading of recent history is a bit creative. Did you call Trump "Putin's puppet" before the election?
Yet you did write this, on this very thread.
Jon said:
I don't want Hillary as President, never did, still don't.
And yet, you voted for her.
I, on the other hand, did not vote for Trump.
I just don't see that the DNC revelations swayed a lot of voters. Maybe, but I have yet to see it. Heck the off/on-again/off-again FBI investigation probably swayed more voters. That and running a very unsympathetic candidate.

Tide1986

Suspended
Nov 22, 2008
Birmingham, AL
Your reading of recent history is a bit creative. Did you call Trump "Putin's puppet" before the election?

Yet you did write this, on this very thread.
And yet, you voted for her.
I, on the other hand, did not vote for Trump.
I just don't see that the DNC revelations swayed a lot of voters. Maybe, but I have yet to see it. Heck the off/on-again/off-again FBI investigation probably swayed more voters. That and running a very unsympathetic candidate.
The "Putin's puppet" line is quite hypocritical given the left's support of the Obama/Hillary Russia reset, which was intended to create friendlier relations. Now they don't want more cordial relations with Russia because the opposition is in power? Schizophrenic to say the least.

Tidewater

Hall of Fame
Mar 15, 2003
Hooterville, Vir.
And this gem...
What's really precious about that episode was Obama talking to Medvedev like Medvedev was really in charge of something. Obama would have been better served going directly to Putin.
Once again, Obama treats the world as he wants it to be, not as it is. What a horrible president he has been. An eight-year kay-tas-trophy.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.