CIA: Russia influenced election to help Trump win

Status
Not open for further replies.

NationalTitles18

TideFans Legend
May 25, 2003
Mountainous Northern California
Not sure why you think this is significant, but okay. In the end, 17 agencies issued a unanimous statement.

What evidence are you citing? The whole point of investigating this is see what Russia attempted, how systems or people were compromised, what effect it had, and what effect it may still have.
To the first point, no, it was not a unanimous statement. It was a consensus statement. Based on what, we'd have to guess.

What evidence are you citing that there was a significant influence? My evidence was presented earlier in the thread and based on the number of hits these website received vs the number of votes. I believe this was related mainly to FB posts by the "fake news" sites. Again, if you are going to say the attempts to influence were successful then you need to present evidence to that effect. Otherwise, you have no case.

A couple of articles I came by tonight:

http://reason.com/blog/2016/12/12/cia-and-fbi-should-make-public-evidence

http://reason.com/blog/2016/12/12/lets-say-russia-did-hack-the-dems-what-w

I may be wrong, but one of the themes here seems to be that Trump voters are simply too stupid to discern which news is true. The evidence seems to be that they voted for Trump. Perhaps you think the "popularity" of the fake news sites proves the point. But who's to say just as many Hillary voters didn't view the "fake news" sites? What evidence is there that it was all or mostly Trump supporters clicking the links? It may be so, and "common sense" would seem to suggest it, but where is the evidence for that?

I guess what I am saying is that you have in no way whatsoever shown any compelling evidence based on hard facts (appeal to authority is not compelling - sorry) that validates any of your claims. If the Russians did the hacking then release the evidence. If that hacking (assuming it is true) influenced voters then release the evidence. If that influence was significant then release the evidence. Release the evidence. Period.

And then, assuming it is all true and the Russians hacked and had a significant influence then what? Does that mean Trump was complicit? Where's the evidence? Shall we overturn a democratic election? What is the outcome you seek?

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000
Let's summarize: voters knew BEFORE the election that SOMEBODY who was releasing Clinton's emails had it in for her.

They didn't care.

Voters knew in 1968 and ESPECIALLY 1972 that Richard Nixon was a crook - they didn't care.

Voters knew in 1968 that George Wallace was an avowed racist - they didn't care, and he got almost half of his popular votes in the NORTH.

Voters knew Bill Clinton was lying in 1992 when he promised a middle class tax cut while saying he was going to reduce the deficit - they didn't care.

Voters knew in 1998 that Bill Clinton had committed the crime of perjury - they didn't care (and the Democrats actually did very well in those mid-terms).

Voters knew in 2000 that GW Bush was essentially an empty suit with a name - they didn't care.

Voters knew in 2004 that Iraq never had weapons of mass destruction and even Bush had admitted there was no link between Iraq and Al Qaeda - they didn't care.

Voters knew in 2008 that Barack Obama had no relevant experience to actually be President of the USA - they didn't care.

Voters knew in 2016 that the DNC had predetermined who was going to win their so-called competitive primary - they didn't care. (The argument "she won the most votes in the primaries" is completely irrelevant since it wouldn't have mattered if Bernie Sanders had done so).

Voters knew in 2016 that the Republicans had nominated an inexperienced buffoon with no manners and no specifics who insulted whomever he wished at a whim - they didn't care.

Maybe they should but the simple truth is that by and large - they don't.

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000
I may be wrong, but one of the themes here seems to be that Trump voters are simply too stupid to discern which news is true. The evidence seems to be that they voted for Trump. Perhaps you think the "popularity" of the fake news sites proves the point. But who's to say just as many Hillary voters didn't view the "fake news" sites? What evidence is there that it was all or mostly Trump supporters clicking the links? It may be so, and "common sense" would seem to suggest it, but where is the evidence for that?
A simple perusal of my Facebook (and Gary Johnson got the most votes from my 150 or so friends who stated anything about it) shows that EVERY politician's supporters was susceptible to fake news. There simply was no 'Trump effect' that supported this nor have I seen it.

Besides - it seems to be almost exclusively Democrats who believe fake news like Reagan stealing the 1980 election by getting Iran to hold the hostages or that Dick Cheney murdered Paul Wellstone via a plane crash prior to the 2002 mid-terms.

I guess what I am saying is that you have in no way whatsoever shown any compelling evidence based on hard facts (appeal to authority is not compelling - sorry) that validates any of your claims. If the Russians did the hacking then release the evidence. If that hacking (assuming it is true) influenced voters then release the evidence. If that influence was significant then release the evidence. Release the evidence. Period.

And then, assuming it is all true and the Russians hacked and had a significant influence then what? Does that mean Trump was complicit? Where's the evidence? Shall we overturn a democratic election? What is the outcome you seek?
What one REALLY has to explain in terms of ELECTORAL OUTCOME is this: how did the Russians manage to make enough two-time Obama voters in three key states vote for Trump?

Better yet.....how did they hijack Hillary Clinton and force her to NOT campaign in Wisconsin?

CharminTide

Hall of Fame
Oct 23, 2005
To the first point, no, it was not a unanimous statement. It was a consensus statement. Based on what, we'd have to guess.
Again, no idea what point you're making, but okay.

What evidence are you citing that there was a significant influence?
I don't think I've ever quantified the degree of Russian influence, because the general public does not know this. And again, it's is a question that can only be answered by an investigation. Personally, I find it horrifying that the president-elect (1) refuses to believe multiple intelligence agencies telling him Russia underwent a campaign to influence our election, and (2) opposes investigating this issue so very ardently, as if doing so would somehow lessen his authority. This seems to be the mindset of a man who values his own power over the prospect of compromised sovereign elections or national security. Fortunately, most in the GOP seem to be breaking against him on this issue.

I may be wrong, but one of the themes here seems to be that Trump voters are simply too stupid to discern which news is true. The evidence seems to be that they voted for Trump.
You seem to think I'm projecting my own judgement here. The claim that the right was more susceptible to fake news comes from multiple interviews with multiple owners of fake news empires during the election, which I've posted at least three times in the last month. They have all stated that fake news on the left was far less profitable, because a much higher proportion of that target audience will fact check and not share falsehoods. The same thing did not happen on the right.

If the Russians did the hacking then release the evidence. If that hacking (assuming it is true) influenced voters then release the evidence. If that influence was significant then release the evidence. Release the evidence. Period.
I agree. The CIA (and very likely FBI) seems to have the evidence. They seem confident enough in it to brief the highest government officials. There have been calls for Obama to declassify this information, but that's more likely to occur in the course of a congressional investigation. You seem to be pushing back against this idea -- do you oppose the investigation that has been called?

That depends entirely on what (if anything) we learn. Like much of 2016, we're in uncharted territory.

CharminTide

Hall of Fame
Oct 23, 2005
Voters knew in 1968 and ESPECIALLY 1972 that Richard Nixon was a crook - they didn't care.

Voters knew in 1968 that George Wallace was an avowed racist - they didn't care, and he got almost half of his popular votes in the NORTH.

Voters knew Bill Clinton was lying in 1992 when he promised a middle class tax cut while saying he was going to reduce the deficit - they didn't care.

Voters knew in 1998 that Bill Clinton had committed the crime of perjury - they didn't care (and the Democrats actually did very well in those mid-terms).

Voters knew in 2000 that GW Bush was essentially an empty suit with a name - they didn't care.

Voters knew in 2004 that Iraq never had weapons of mass destruction and even Bush had admitted there was no link between Iraq and Al Qaeda - they didn't care.

Voters knew in 2008 that Barack Obama had no relevant experience to actually be President of the USA - they didn't care.

Voters knew in 2016 that the DNC had predetermined who was going to win their so-called competitive primary - they didn't care. (The argument "she won the most votes in the primaries" is completely irrelevant since it wouldn't have mattered if Bernie Sanders had done so).

Voters knew in 2016 that the Republicans had nominated an inexperienced buffoon with no manners and no specifics who insulted whomever he wished at a whim - they didn't care.

Maybe they should but the simple truth is that by and large - they don't.
Thank you for that ray of sunshine this morning. ;)

Tidewater

Hall of Fame
Mar 15, 2003
Hooterville, Vir.
It appears Charmin is unaware of how NIEs work.
What evidence are you citing that there was a significant influence? My evidence was presented earlier in the thread and based on the number of hits these website received vs the number of votes. I believe this was related mainly to FB posts by the "fake news" sites. Again, if you are going to say the attempts to influence were successful then you need to present evidence to that effect. Otherwise, you have no case.

A couple of articles I came by tonight:

http://reason.com/blog/2016/12/12/cia-and-fbi-should-make-public-evidence

http://reason.com/blog/2016/12/12/lets-say-russia-did-hack-the-dems-what-w

My father, a Hillary supporter and fanatical MSNBC watcher, told me that the emails had been modified. That was a fake news story, planted by MSNBC, to help Hillary's campaign, that that voter bought hook, line and sinker.

I think that all those Trump and Hillary voters, if not for the Russians hacking the election, would have voted for Gary Johnson. All of them. (My evidence? My assertion of the fact.) So what I demand is the inauguration of Gary Johnson. My guy really won the election, so only an anti-democratic nazi would oppose Johnson's inauguration.

Tide1986

Suspended
Nov 22, 2008
Birmingham, AL
You seem to think I'm projecting my own judgement here. The claim that the right was more susceptible to fake news comes from multiple interviews with multiple owners of fake news empires during the election, which I've posted at least three times in the last month. They have all stated that fake news on the left was far less profitable, because a much higher proportion of that target audience will fact check and not share falsehoods. The same thing did not happen on the right.
Out of curiosity, how did the owners of fake news sites determine the rightness or leftness of its readers?

CharminTide

Hall of Fame
Oct 23, 2005
Out of curiosity, how did the owners of fake news sites determine the rightness or leftness of its readers?
Since they clearly would know the target audience of the fake news being written, is it your contention that a significant number of readers on the left share and propagate fake news aimed at the right, and vice versa?

Tide1986

Suspended
Nov 22, 2008
Birmingham, AL
Personally, I find it horrifying that the president-elect (1) refuses to believe multiple intelligence agencies telling him Russia underwent a campaign to influence our election, and (2) opposes investigating this issue so very ardently, as if doing so would somehow lessen his authority. This seems to be the mindset of a man who values his own power over the prospect of compromised sovereign elections or national security. Fortunately, most in the GOP seem to be breaking against him on this issue.
The FBI doesn't seem to be on the same page with respect to the inferences being drawn by the intelligence agencies. Maybe Trump is listening to his buddy, Jim Comey, instead.

CharminTide

Hall of Fame
Oct 23, 2005
The FBI doesn't seem to be on the same page with respect to the inferences being drawn by the intelligence agencies. Maybe Trump is listening to his buddy, Jim Comey, instead.
The FBI believes Russia interfered in the election. Last I checked, they hadn't reached the same conclusion regarding their motivation as the CIA. This isn't too surprising, given that the FBI is tasked with mounting a prosecutable case, and the CIA compiles actionable intelligence that will never reach a courtroom. Seems like more reason to investigate what is known, what is suspected, and what is neither.

Tide1986

Suspended
Nov 22, 2008
Birmingham, AL
Since they clearly would know the target audience of the fake news being written, is it your contention that a significant number of readers on the left share and propagate fake news aimed at the right, and vice versa?
Could lefties be alarmed by a news headline and click on it to see the details? Once the ridiculousness of an article is ascertained, could lefties share it as an example of conservative campaign tactics? I bet both scenarios happened regularly.

You probably don't agree with my inference. Is an investigation warranted to ascertain its accuracy?

Tide1986

Suspended
Nov 22, 2008
Birmingham, AL
The FBI believes Russia interfered in the election. Last I checked, they hadn't reached the same conclusion regarding their motivation as the CIA. This isn't too surprising, given that the FBI is tasked with mounting a prosecutable case, and the CIA compiles actionable intelligence that will never reach a courtroom. Seems like more reason to investigate what is known, what is suspected, and what is neither.
The FBI has been investigating the various hacking incidents for months now. The "interference in the election" meme is the inference I believe the FBI is not willing to make...at least not yet.

Russians involved in cyber espionage? This is new to you? Interesting that it is now of special concern to you. Nevertheless, the investigation continues. No need to act outraged as if it is not.

Edit: As a note, congress has also been investigating Russian hacking for months as well.

Last edited:

Tide1986

Suspended
Nov 22, 2008
Birmingham, AL
Maybe this is fake news:

http://www.reuters.com/article/us-usa-trump-intelligence-idUSKBN14204E

The overseers of the U.S. intelligence community have not embraced a CIA assessment that Russian cyber attacks were aimed at helping Republican President-elect Donald Trump win the 2016 election, three American officials said on Monday.

While the Office of the Director of National Intelligence (ODNI) does not dispute the CIA's analysis of Russian hacking operations, it has not endorsed their assessment because of a lack of conclusive evidence that Moscow intended to boost Trump over Democratic opponent Hillary Clinton, said the officials, who declined to be named.

TheAccountant

All-SEC
Mar 22, 2011
Birmingham
1)
3) The hacking campaign was originally presented as Russia leaking emails and setting up propaganda news outlets to merely disrupt the election. It was believed that these fake news sites (some were set up by Russian assets, others by random people looking to profit off Facebook clicks) were overwhelmingly aimed at the right not because of some anti-Clinton agenda, but because the right fell for the narrative-fitting lies more readily.
One 'journalist' for the WaPo and a 'media critic' for CNN endorising this unhinged screed. But it fits with their narrative.
https://docs.google.com/document/d/125nwxptXyYSH3hiCW7hObeo86xFOvo_1UwNUgWL4E2I/edit

MattinBama

Hall of Fame
Jul 31, 2007
All this bickering is doing (here and nationally) is further driving a wedge through our country. The left and the right both need a time out and then we can see if they can behave afterwards.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.