CIA: Russia influenced election to help Trump win

Status
Not open for further replies.

bama_wayne1

All-American
Jun 15, 2007
Let's summarize: voters knew BEFORE the election that SOMEBODY who was releasing Clinton's emails had it in for her.

They didn't care.

Voters knew in 1968 and ESPECIALLY 1972 that Richard Nixon was a crook - they didn't care.

Voters knew in 1968 that George Wallace was an avowed racist - they didn't care, and he got almost half of his popular votes in the NORTH.

Voters knew Bill Clinton was lying in 1992 when he promised a middle class tax cut while saying he was going to reduce the deficit - they didn't care.

Voters knew in 1998 that Bill Clinton had committed the crime of perjury - they didn't care (and the Democrats actually did very well in those mid-terms).

Voters knew in 2000 that GW Bush was essentially an empty suit with a name - they didn't care.

Voters knew in 2004 that Iraq never had weapons of mass destruction and even Bush had admitted there was no link between Iraq and Al Qaeda - they didn't care.

Voters knew in 2008 that Barack Obama had no relevant experience to actually be President of the USA - they didn't care. He aslo began his term by insulting anyone he wanted on a whim.

Voters knew in 2016 that the DNC had predetermined who was going to win their so-called competitive primary - they didn't care. (The argument "she won the most votes in the primaries" is completely irrelevant since it wouldn't have mattered if Bernie Sanders had done so).

Voters knew in 2016 that the Republicans had nominated an inexperienced buffoon with no manners and no specifics who insulted whomever he wished at a whim - they didn't care.

Maybe they should but the simple truth is that by and large - they don't.
I agree with one additional point bolded above.

theballguy

Hall of Fame
Nov 5, 2012
Roll Tide Roll, Colorado USA

Bamaro

TideFans Legend
Oct 19, 2001
Jacksonville, Md USA
I don't care either way but honestly wasn't Mexico and Europe interested in seeing Obama win in 08, 12? Traditionally, that can be considered meddling as well. The UK does it all the time for our elections. If they can't prove that Russia hacked our voting systems and gave Trump +2 to Hillary's +1 for each vote, then it's a non-issue as far as I'm concerned.
Its one thing to openly take actions to influence voting. Its quite another thing to covertly take illegal actions (via hacking) to influence voting.

bama_wayne1

All-American
Jun 15, 2007
it never ceases to amaze me the amount of effort folks go through to try to put obama in his place.
I don't believe the POTUS will be reading this so I am obviously not trying to put anyone in his place. I am just noting a fact. I don't disagree with all of his work but I do think he went about it wrong when handling his opponents. For example "Elections have consequences". While true that is intended to insult and put people in their place. I've been managing people since about 1980 and have never felt the need to insult or belittle those people. I think it is detrimental to all future work between the two. I think the last eight years of stagnation is due largely to President Obama's unwillingness to compromise at all.

theballguy

Hall of Fame
Nov 5, 2012
Roll Tide Roll, Colorado USA
Its one thing to openly take actions to influence voting. Its quite another thing to covertly take illegal actions (via hacking) to influence voting.
Agreed. But, there's yet to be any proof. I think Selma said it well though, there can be proof come about and voters won't care really as long as my guy won. If the shoe was on the other foot, it would be the same.

Intl.Aperture

All-American
Aug 12, 2015
Chesapeake, Virginia
Let's take this discussion back to "ground-zero" and clarify some things that may be in dispute.

1: On the first point of contention that there was actual hacking sanctioned by or with the knowledge of the Russian government of Republican or Democratic party emails/servers. Not getting into motive just yet.
If that did indeed happen, then it is a problem and should be examined thoroughly and appropriate countermeasures taken. I'll not theorize what I believe those measures should be since I know not the extent of the breach or the damage of the hacking as we have not discussed motive or the effectiveness of said hackings. But a breach like that should not be ignored or taken lightly by any person of any political persuasion. I'm not convinced much would change with our current situation but it is important.

2: If it is agreed that both parties were hacked then we have to dive into the sticky situation of "motive." Recall however, that this is agreeing that both parties were hacked by a foreign power. That to me is cause enough for concern. The main point of dispute seems to be whether the Russians were attempting to influence the election in favor of Donald Trump. Various intelligence officials have different opinions about this because there is a lot of inference occurring based on the data sets, trends and behaviors of the Russian government after the partisan hackings took place. Motive is important - however, I still maintain the root concern that, regardless of motive, it is egregious and unacceptable for any foreign power to interfere or attempt to manipulate the outcome of any election. And the argument that "this is nothing new for Russia" does not minimize the severity of the transgression. Repeat offenses does not diminish the action, IMO. Serial killers aren't shrugged off because "well killing people isn't exactly new for Jeffrey Dahmer." They shouldn't be tampering, regardless of what goal they were seeking to reach.

3: The validity of the hacking effectiveness. I've seen this argument posited by posters who I often agree with and whose world view I (mostly) share. IF (Hypothetical "IF") we were to agree that the purpose of the Russian hacks was to help elect Donald Trump, many people, including myself, would not suppose that the leaked emails had a large influence on the outcome of the election. HOWEVER, I don't think that this is a valid argument as it, yet again, does not nullify the cardinal sin of the Russian government of attempting to influence the election. Just because an evil plan didn't work is no reason to just shrug it off. "Attempted Murder" is still a serious crime even though they didn't achieve their intended goal of "murder." We still send those people to jail. So while I would agree that it wasn't wholly effective (I think the election was won and lost in other areas) I don't think this is a proper defense or reason to dismiss the actions of the Russians.

There is a lot of nuance and "if's" and "buts" and "well this agency is saying this." One final point. Even as a conservative I don't understand the validity or point being made by the WMD argument. Are you trying to say there is a conspiracy by government intelligence agencies to sway the executive branch into rash decisions or actions such as going to war in Iraq, and that this is just another ploy to cause such a reaction? Or are you saying that because intelligence agencies got it wrong on Iraq that we should never listen to them again? The first would open a whole other can of worms and the second is not an argument.

92tide

TideFans Legend
May 9, 2000
East Point, Ga, USA
Politics is basically ... if your guy does it, it's wrong. If my guy does it, he's right. I'm utterly astonished that most Americans (actually Humans everywhere) are blind to that.
im well aware of that. what i am talking about is the amount that folks go out of their way to interject their disdain for obama (or hillary if it's selma ;) ) in an otherwise non-related discussion.

NationalTitles18

TideFans Legend
May 25, 2003
Mountainous Northern California
Let's take this discussion back to "ground-zero" and clarify some things that may be in dispute.

1: On the first point of contention that there was actual hacking sanctioned by or with the knowledge of the Russian government of Republican or Democratic party emails/servers. Not getting into motive just yet.
If that did indeed happen, then it is a problem and should be examined thoroughly and appropriate countermeasures taken. I'll not theorize what I believe those measures should be since I know not the extent of the breach or the damage of the hacking as we have not discussed motive or the effectiveness of said hackings. But a breach like that should not be ignored or taken lightly by any person of any political persuasion. I'm not convinced much would change with our current situation but it is important.

2: If it is agreed that both parties were hacked then we have to dive into the sticky situation of "motive." Recall however, that this is agreeing that both parties were hacked by a foreign power. That to me is cause enough for concern. The main point of dispute seems to be whether the Russians were attempting to influence the election in favor of Donald Trump. Various intelligence officials have different opinions about this because there is a lot of inference occurring based on the data sets, trends and behaviors of the Russian government after the partisan hackings took place. Motive is important - however, I still maintain the root concern that, regardless of motive, it is egregious and unacceptable for any foreign power to interfere or attempt to manipulate the outcome of any election. And the argument that "this is nothing new for Russia" does not minimize the severity of the transgression. Repeat offenses does not diminish the action, IMO. Serial killers aren't shrugged off because "well killing people isn't exactly new for Jeffrey Dahmer." They shouldn't be tampering, regardless of what goal they were seeking to reach.

3: The validity of the hacking effectiveness. I've seen this argument posited by posters who I often agree with and whose world view I (mostly) share. IF (Hypothetical "IF") we were to agree that the purpose of the Russian hacks was to help elect Donald Trump, many people, including myself, would not suppose that the leaked emails had a large influence on the outcome of the election. HOWEVER, I don't think that this is a valid argument as it, yet again, does not nullify the cardinal sin of the Russian government of attempting to influence the election. Just because an evil plan didn't work is no reason to just shrug it off. "Attempted Murder" is still a serious crime even though they didn't achieve their intended goal of "murder." We still send those people to jail. So while I would agree that it wasn't wholly effective (I think the election was won and lost in other areas) I don't think this is a proper defense or reason to dismiss the actions of the Russians.

There is a lot of nuance and "if's" and "buts" and "well this agency is saying this." One final point. Even as a conservative I don't understand the validity or point being made by the WMD argument. Are you trying to say there is a conspiracy by government intelligence agencies to sway the executive branch into rash decisions or actions such as going to war in Iraq, and that this is just another ploy to cause such a reaction? Or are you saying that because intelligence agencies got it wrong on Iraq that we should never listen to them again? The first would open a whole other can of worms and the second is not an argument.
I'm Pretty Much Onboard With You.WRT the WMD, the point is that if the only evidence you are presenting is an appeal to authority then that authority has been wrong before so why should I believe them now? Maybe I should, but I would do so with a weary eye. One poster at least even claimed above that this entity "massaged" the intel for his buddy, the former president and I'm supposed to believe the current director now, why exactly? Investigate. Release the info. Let the chips fall where they may. And then what? I guess that depends on where the evidence leads.

Intl.Aperture

All-American
Aug 12, 2015
Chesapeake, Virginia
I'm Pretty Much Onboard With You.WRT the WMD, the point is that if the only evidence you are presenting is an appeal to authority then that authority has been wrong before so why should I believe them now? Maybe I should, but I would do so with a weary eye. One poster at least even claimed above that this entity "massaged" the intel for his buddy, the former president and I'm supposed to believe the current director now, why exactly? Investigate. Release the info. Let the chips fall where they may. And then what? I guess that depends on where the evidence leads.
I agree that our intelligence has some credibility to regain. But it's a bit like the weatherman on tv. Bear with me. I think meteorologists are idiots. I remember the 1 time they got it wrong and said it was supposed to be 72 degrees and sunshine but instead it was 56 and raining. I never forget when the screw it up. It's cognitive bias on my part. They are obviously correct more often than they are incorrect. With regards to intelligence we obviously remember the big bungles like Iraq. But it would do us well to notice some of the public triumphs. We did get Bin Laden, after all. And I'd reckon they also get things very right in private, where the public can't see them. All I'm saying is to try and be aware of the areas were cognitive bias may be lurking.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.