Alabama Recruiting/Strength Program

AJDawg

Dec 7, 2016
Two other questions I thought of:

=> Regarding recruiting. I know the Tide recruits nationally but do they usually have a "fence" around Alabama and get most of the top instate talent? Are there any private school programs in Alabama that are very strong and produce top talent?

=> Is there anything special about the strength program at UA that sets it apart from other schools? Seems like you guys, as apart from the rest of the SEC, have especially powerful linemen.

NationalTitles18

TideFans Legend
May 25, 2003
Mountainous Northern California
Alabama has always competed with that other school for state recruits, usually getting the best in state players. That still holds true. Alabama has always (as long as I've been alive and remember) had a national recruiting base. Currently Alabama typically gets most, but not all, the in state talent it wants and benefits from a very strong national recruiting effort. Most are recruited from public schools. Mobile, Birmingham, Tuscaloosa, and sometimes Montgomery are recruiting hotbeds but talent comes from every area of the state. IMHO, other in state schools and some out of state have benefitted somewhat from Alabama passing on some in state players due to the strong national recruiting.

As for the strength and conditioning (and nutrition) program at UA - it is the best in college football, bar none, under the direction of Scott Cochran. Many fans (count me among them) attribute a large portion of our team's success to this program. Coach Cochran is beloved by the fans and players alike.

ETA: Should be obvious with the strong national recruiting, but Alabama very often gets top talent from surrounding states as well. Since Saban arrived the "wall" around Louisiana has been breached, which may have played a part in Miles' recent departure. Alabama often gets the top recruits from the state of Mississippi as well.

Last edited:

TrueCrimson7

All-American
Sep 21, 2014
USA
The importance of being physically and mentally stronger than the other team in the 4th quarter is well-discussed in that video. Alabama usually dominates the last 15 minutes of the game, including outscoring its opponents 65-0 in its last seven 4th quarters dating back to October 8th.

tattooguy21

Suspended
Aug 14, 2012
Every now and again a recruit will get away. It happens, such as auburns current kicker, who's from a third generation Alabama family. We didn't have a scholarship for him and he went there. I'm pretty sure there were a lot of sad people during the iron bowl when they heard of his story for the first time.

It's funny you mention the S&C, because this is a conversation I've had with my co-workers (each of which is from a different state and follows different teams). I asked then who their guy was, and no one could answer me. Scott Cochran is respected and known by bama fans line he was a regular coach or one of the top 3 (some would argue he is.)

Here's an example; last year, in this forum and others, people congratulated Kirby Smart (our prior defensive coordinator) on getting the Georgia head coaching job. They had no issue with him moving on. Then he tried to take Cochran with him and the collective state of Alabama lost its mind.

People's fondness of Smart evaluated real quick. I'll put it this way. Losing Cochran at this point would be second only to losing Saban IMO. He's way more than just the S&C coach

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
Just a glance at our roster can be a little deceiving. Our scout team is almost all Alabama boys, which makes it look like we recruit the state heavily. However, when one looks at the starters, there is only a sprinkling of Alabama natives...

TrampLineman

Hall of Fame
Jul 21, 2010
Alabama
Like those above me have said, we generally just cherry pick in state talent now and we have always recruited nationally. Here lately most of our playmakers have been from other states. Our in state talent this year that are making an impact is Bo Scarbrough (Tuscaloosa, AL), our #1 and #3 receivers (in terms of yardage) are ArDarius Stewart (Fultondale, AL near Birmingham) and O.J. Howard (Prattville, AL near Montgomery). Our starting Center is also from Alabama (Bradley Bozeman, Roanoke, AL).

On defense it has been Da'Ron Payne (Irondale, AL near Birmingham), LB Shaun-Dion Hamilton (Montgomery, AL but will be out against U-Dub), LB and Butkus Award Winner Reuben Foster (Auburn, AL but only spent his Senior year there) and CB prospect and starter Marlon Humphrey (Hoover, AL near Birmingham) rounds out our starters and major contributors. All those I listed were top recruits other than Bozeman and Hamilton and Hamilton was still a 4-star LB out of h.s.

As for powerhouse private schools we had Edgewood Academy (they only play other private schools here, they cannot play public schools) had a 71 games winning streak which I think was the longest current streak in the nation until their opener this year, but the level of play at that level is not really high when compared to public schools here. They lost their coach and quite a few good players from last years team with the coach leaving just before the season started. They are not in a big city but are basically between Birmingham and Montgomery and pulled a lot from Prattville/Millbrook areas which are the suburbs now of Montgomery basically. In the public school division you have McGill-Toolen Catholic out of Mobile who are always good and Madison Academy which is a smaller private school and they just sent 2 running backs to auBARN in the past 2 years, and I should say those two private schools play in the public school division but they are penalized by the 10-12th grade student count including the 9th grade holdbacks. That is basically it in this state as far as private school powers year in and year out.

Public wise we have Hoover (which had a tv show on MTV and are always on tv) who almost always plays 1 or 2 out of state games a year and has been very successful over the years, they are a big suburb of Birmingham and the city of Hoover actually hosts the SEC Baseball Tournament every year. Hoover now owns the most playoff victories in this state and has the most state titles with 12 now.

As for Scott Cochran our S&C Coach, how many schools do you see feature their S&C Coach on their jumbo-tron throughout the game at every home game? That should tell you about enough alone. He is without a doubt the best. It's rare we lose a top player anymore (knock on wood)

Last edited:

gtgilbert

All-American
Aug 12, 2011
Alabama has always competed with that other school for state recruits, usually getting the best in state players. That still holds true. Alabama has always (as long as I've been alive and remember) had a national recruiting base. Currently Alabama typically gets most, but not all, the in state talent it wants and benefits from a very strong national recruiting effort. Most are recruited from public schools. Mobile, Birmingham, Tuscaloosa, and sometimes Montgomery are recruiting hotbeds but talent comes from every area of the state. IMHO, other in state schools and some out of state have benefitted somewhat from Alabama passing on some in state players due to the strong national recruiting.

As for the strength and conditioning (and nutrition) program at UA - it is the best in college football, bar none, under the direction of Scott Cochran. Many fans (count me among them) attribute a large portion of our team's success to this program. Coach Cochran is beloved by the fans and players alike.

ETA: Should be obvious with the strong national recruiting, but Alabama very often gets top talent from surrounding states as well. Since Saban arrived the "wall" around Louisiana has been breached, which may have played a part in Miles' recent departure. Alabama often gets the top recruits from the state of Mississippi as well.
related to recruiting the surrounding states. We've pulled guys who are now in the NFL from MS, GA, TN, LA, FL, TX and of course AL. That covers most of the SEC except SC, KY, MO and AR. There are guys on roster from AR and KY that will probably make the league when their time comes.

bamabelle1991

All-American
Jan 1, 2009
South Alabama
Like those above me have said, we generally just cherry pick in state talent now and we have always recruited nationally. Here lately most of our playmakers have been from other states. Our in state talent this year that are making an impact is Bo Scarbrough (Tuscaloosa, AL), our #1 and #3 receivers (in terms of yardage) are ArDarius Stewart (Fultondale, AL near Birmingham) and O.J. Howard (Prattville, AL near Montgomery). Our starting Center is also from Alabama (Bradley Bozeman, Roanoke, AL).

On defense it has been Da'Ron Payne (Irondale, AL near Birmingham), LB Shaun-Dion Hamilton (Montgomery, AL but will be out against U-Dub), LB and Butkus Award Winner Reuben Foster (Auburn, AL but only spent his Senior year there) and CB prospect and starter Marlon Humphrey (Hoover, AL near Birmingham) rounds out our starters and major contributors. All those I listed were top recruits other than Bozeman and Hamilton and Hamilton was still a 4-star LB out of h.s.

As for powerhouse private schools we had Edgewood Academy (they only play other private schools here, they cannot play public schools) had a 71 games winning streak which I think was the longest current streak in the nation until their opener this year, but the level of play at that level is not really high when compared to public schools here. They lost their coach and quite a few good players from last years team with the coach leaving just before the season started. They are not in a big city but are basically between Birmingham and Montgomery and pulled a lot from Prattville/Millbrook areas which are the suburbs now of Montgomery basically. In the public school division you have McGill-Toolen Catholic out of Mobile who are always good and Madison Academy which is a smaller private school and they just sent 2 running backs to auBARN in the past 2 years, and I should say those two private schools play in the public school division but they are penalized by the 10-12th grade student count including the 9th grade holdbacks. That is basically it in this state as far as private school powers year in and year out.

Public wise we have Hoover (which had a tv show on MTV and are always on tv) who almost always plays 1 or 2 out of state games a year and has been very successful over the years, they are a big suburb of Birmingham and the city of Hoover actually hosts the SEC Baseball Tournament every year. Hoover now owns the most playoff victories in this state and has the most state titles with 12 now.

As for Scott Cochran our S&C Coach, how many schools do you see feature their S&C Coach on their jumbo-tron throughout the game at every home game? That should tell you about enough alone. He is without a doubt the best. It's rare we lose a top player anymore (knock on wood)
You left out St. Paul's Episcopal School (private but plays in the public system) out of Mobile, AL, which gave us two National Championship QB's in AJ McCarron and Jake Coker, and Mark Barron, I think?

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.