Ridley vs Stewart (NFL Stocks)

Loam

All-SEC
Oct 20, 2014
Which of these guys do you all think has the brightest NFL future? As a Dallas Cowboys fan, I want Dallas to draft Stewart. But I have to wonder where Stewarts stock is. Late 1st? 2nd rounder? I guess it all depends on the combine. But I want Stewart in Dallas across from Dez. I'm tired of Terrence "Body Catcher" Williams.

rolltide_21

Hall of Fame
Dec 9, 2007
NW AL
Ridley is a true sophomore so he has another year before being draft eligible. Stewart could enter the draft but I hope he returns. I think he could use another year for development but it would not surprise me if he chose to enter the draft. He is a phenomenal athlete and a great receiver. Solid route runner. He would be a 2nd rounder at best right now, imo. Some others may have better info about his draft status.

Ridley reminds me of Amari Cooper. Great route running. Blocks well. Very fast. Reads defenses and adjust his route accordingly. If he has another great year I think he will be a for sure first-rounder. Barring injury he will be a three and done player.

ETA: Looked at a couple mock drafts, this is a WR heavy class. Had several Bama players as 1st rounders of which Stewart is not one of them. I think he should wait another year but he might get a better grade than projected now. Also, mock drafts this early are rarely accurate.

Last edited:

CoolBreeze

Hall of Fame
Sep 18, 2002
Hoover
I just finished watching the Nick Saban Show and Stewart was the highlighted player this week. I get the impression from the interview that he really looks up to coach and extremely happy to be at Alabama. If coach wants him to stay I think he stays.

LA4Bama

All-SEC
Jan 5, 2015
Los Angeles, CA
Allen came back to work on technique, but linemen also benefit from more lifting and I think Allen looks even more physically intimidating this year. If Stewart has technique to work on, he could stay. If his technique is there, he should probably go as it's doubtful another year of weight lifting will make much difference to a receiver's stock. I hope he stays though; he sure seems to be Jalen's favorite target.

Ridley is the most elusive receiver we've had since Saban arrived. He is so quick and deceptive I think he's a difficult target for Jalen to hit. I think in the NFL with an NFL accurate passer he will be an extremely dangerous target.

Last edited:

tusks_n_raider

Hall of Fame
May 13, 2009
Mobile, AL
Which of these guys do you all think has the brightest NFL future? As a Dallas Cowboys fan, I want Dallas to draft Stewart. But I have to wonder where Stewarts stock is. Late 1st? 2nd rounder? I guess it all depends on the combine. But I want Stewart in Dallas across from Dez. I'm tired of Terrence "Body Catcher" Williams.
That's a pretty good question. Before this year I may have said Ridley but their stats are really really close right now. Plus if I'm honest Stewart has had more memorable catches in critical moments in his career. Several leaping TD's in the endzone in BIG games.

Here are their Stats:

Ridley - 28 games(154 Recs,1,779 Yrds, 11.6 Ypc, 14 TD's)( 6 Rushes, 23 yrds, 3.8 Ypc 1 TD)
160 Touches, 1802 Yrds, 11.3 Ypt 15TD's

Stewart -31 games(127 Recs,1,665 Yrds, 13.1 Ypc, 11 TD's)(11 Rushes, 76 yrgs, 6.9 Ypc 1 TD)
138 Touches, 1741 Yrds, 12.6 Ypt 12TD's

Alasippi

Suspended
Aug 31, 2007
Ocean Springs, MS
Very hard to determine because Adarius is many times the isolated receiver where Ridley has man coverage with a safety over the top.
It will ultimately come down to 40 speed at the combine. I do think Adarius is the more physical receiver.
I do think he should come back for another year however.

rgw

Suspended
Sep 15, 2003
Tuscaloosa
He seems to be prone to some odd reads on option routes at times...I think he's still learning his craft as a receiver but he's already good enough that the athlete in him really shines at the college level. Ridley runs better routes on a consistent basis.

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
Ridley is a better route runner and adjusts better to the ball when it is in the air. Stewart adds another dimension as a special teams player (Ridley really struggled here), and Stewart high points the ball better. Both do well when fighting a DB for the ball in the air, but Stewart probably has the edge there.

Both will get a shot, but Ridley probably goes higher in the draft without further development.

rgw

Suspended
Sep 15, 2003
Tuscaloosa
Stewart is a little bit better with the ball in his hands but it is a close comparison in that regard.

Bamabuzzard

FB Moderator
Staff member
Aug 15, 2004
Where ever there's BBQ, Bourbon & Football
Stewart is a more versatile WR at this stage in their careers. Stewart has a physical side to his game (Steve Smith type) that enables him to play in the middle of the field. He also is fast enough to beat you deep. Ridley doesn't have that physical element to his game right now.

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
Stewart is a more versatile WR at this stage in their careers. Stewart has a physical side to his game (Steve Smith type) that enables him to play in the middle of the field. He also is fast enough to beat you deep. Ridley doesn't have that physical element to his game right now.
He needs to become a better route runner. Precise routes are a requirement in the NFL.

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
Stewart was a HS QB and is still a work in progress to some degree. Ridley, IIRC, was a pure WR. It does make a difference for the first couple of years at least. With the ball in his hands, Stewart reminds me a bit of Julio, who was a running back until his junior year. He's just used to carrying the ball more. I'm happy to have them both...

Special K

All-American
Feb 8, 2008
Ridley has better hands overall IMO (not that Stewart is bad) - very few drops. Also less prone to fumbling it seems, but prob. part of that is that Stewart is more inclined to lower his pads and stick his nose in the middle of things so to speak. Both seem to block pretty well for receivers too.

bamacon

Hall of Fame
Apr 11, 2008
College Football's Mecca, Tuscaloosa
Ridley is much better today for the NFL simply because of his route running. That said, they both are quick twitch runners, great with the ball, blocking, and are super fast. They are also fast off the LOS which is huge in the NFL. They'll both play on Sunday.

I also think next year they will see a LOT more targets with Hurts growth as a passer. I hope AS stays but the injury bug probably will give him a lot to think about.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Loam

All-SEC
Oct 20, 2014
Dang, all these comments remind me that our offensive firepower sans Howard will remain basically intact next season.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.