ADMIN NOTE: Software problems in interfacing with Tidefans...

uafan4life

Hall of Fame
Mar 30, 2001
Florence, AL
Re: Kiffin's future...

I had lots of trouble with the calendar when it was initially introduced a while back, so I blocked it.

We really need threads like this occasionally in order to determine what's causing issues for people so we can have the tech guys address it - the ads need registered page views in order to help offset the operational costs of a forum this large. If ANYONE is having issues, please post here so we can point the tech guys to this thread - it's far better to refine the operation of the site than to simply block the ads.

I believe I mentioned this to Brett before but I'm not sure whether he looked into it.

I wouldn't mind - actually would rather like - having a "subscription" option for Tidefans which would enable an ad-free display of the site. I don't know what issues there might be with advertisers regarding such a setup but I wouldn't mind paying a few bucks to have an ad-free option. Ad blockers tend to interfere with too many things to work for me, unfortunately.

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA

I believe I mentioned this to Brett before but I'm not sure whether he looked into it.

I wouldn't mind - actually would rather like - having a "subscription" option for Tidefans which would enable an ad-free display of the site. I don't know what issues there might be with advertisers regarding such a setup but I wouldn't mind paying a few bucks to have an ad-free option. Ad blockers tend to interfere with too many things to work for me, unfortunately.
Large sites - Atlantic, USA Today come to mind - now deny reading privileges, unless you turn off your adblocker...

MattinBama

Hall of Fame
Jul 31, 2007

Using Chrome my Tidefans tabs have been constantly loading and slowing things down for about a week, maybe two. Essentially it stops me from doing anything while I have TF open in other tabs and I have to shut it down to do my work or other tasks. It'll sit normally for a bit and then tabs will start reloading on their own after a few minutes (I generally open multiple tabs and then go back and forth between them as I'm reading). This started maybe a week ago about the same time I started getting some audio ads popping up in the background from time to time when I was using a different tab.

For example I had to shut down all of my open tabs other than this one just now to be able to upload an image of the tabs on Imgur. Granted I probably shouldn't have so many tabs open but that's just the way I've always done my browsing.

Image of the different tabs loading on their own. Hadn't been to three out of the four for probably 10-15 minutes.

rgw

Suspended
Sep 15, 2003
Tuscaloosa

gonna keep the dev console open with this page up for a minute and see what request come across the wire.

NationalTitles18

TideFans Legend
May 25, 2003
Mountainous Northern California

I am also having problems posting pictures using the "insert image" tab. It will just hang there until I refresh the page. The workaround is to copy and paste the image directly into the text box where I can type something as well. Been going on for roughly the same 4-6 week span. The box to paste the image never appears no matter how long I wait. It is intermittent and since I have a workaround and just use that method now I don't have a pattern for you other than that it was more often than not.

My most used setup is AMD APU, 8GB RAM, Win 10, Chrome browser. It has happened on the i7 I use mostly for work as well (16Gb, Radeon graphics, Win 10, chrome). Both are laptops. I attempt to keep all drivers up to date with whql drivers, auto updates for windows and chrome. All worked fine until a short time ago as mentioned.

NBF_Bama_Cavalry

All-American
Dec 2, 2002
Titus, Al, US
www.dixiebikers.com

I've had many of these issues as well. I typically use Internet Explorer on a Win 7 desktop but have issues on Win 10 laptop as well as on Android tablet. If I don't wait for the page to fully load (as noted by the "only secure content" notice at bottom of screen), the page won't scroll and occasionally locks the browser. I don't typically use Firefox or Chrome, but have tried them with Tidefans and gotten the same result. Also, on occasion, when I click the next page in a thread Norton will sometimes block it with a "malicious webpage" warning. This all started a couple of weeks ago when I noticed the audio ads. If you view the source after the page is fully loaded, it's overloaded with scripts which tend to overload a browser, no matter which browser it is.

drwho

Suspended
Dec 11, 2013

Well since we are discussing this. At work I have a new computer but whenever I quote something here I can't space between words until I go in and edit my post. This just started happening too.
I've had the same problem, with both IE and Chrome. I've also had issues with scrolling up and down the page (using the arrow keys), which also only happens on this site.

Last edited:

NBF_Bama_Cavalry

All-American
Dec 2, 2002
Titus, Al, US
www.dixiebikers.com
Little off topic here but can anybody recommend a good anti-virus software for HP laptop that I'm giving my wife for Christmas? First laptop purchase in 8 years!!

Sent from my SM-G925V using Tapatalk
Norton, McAfee, BitDefender, Kaspersky, Avast. If you google "Top 10 Antivirus" you'll get pretty much the same 10, just in a different order of effectiveness. I'm in IT and I generally recommend Norton to all of my clients, but it's mostly a matter of preference among the top sellers. Also, don't automatically go to the company's website to purchase whichever you choose. Check with Amazon 1st. For instance, I get Norton with a 5-device license from Amazon for sometimes as little as $20 as opposed to $80 if I purchase directly from Norton. On Amazon, it may be $40 today and $20 tomorrow.

Also, depending on your ISP, you may be entitled to free antivirus. I use Brighthouse and they provide free McAfee for up to 3 machines.

Jessica4Bama

Hall of Fame
Nov 7, 2009
Alabama

getting rid of windows 10....i can't stand it
I hate anything windows based. I love Mac products, but the machine I have to run on it I was afraid wouldn't work on a Mac since it's an older machine so I had to end up getting an HP. I like it better than Windows 8. That was the worse.

Redwood Forrest

Hall of Fame
Sep 19, 2003
Boaz, AL USA

I did not read the entire thread because it would take three days to view all the pages. I only have this problem on TideFans. I have not been on much lately because it is just not worth it. Hopefully someone can find out what is wrong.

Sometimes it takes so long to load I think it is locked up and just reboot.

Last edited:

TrampLineman

Hall of Fame
Jul 21, 2010
Alabama

I still have issues on Firefox where I will quote a post and if I stop typing for one second the line jumps above what I'm typing and I have to delete everything or it will continue to type on a separate line no matter how many times I correct it. It's done that since the board had the last problems a while back and it seems like it was never fixed. It could be Firefox altogether for all I know. Tidefans is the ONLY site it does this at as I post on other message boards too with never having that issue anywhere else.

TrampLineman

Hall of Fame
Jul 21, 2010
Alabama
Little off topic here but can anybody recommend a good anti-virus software for HP laptop that I'm giving my wife for Christmas? First laptop purchase in 8 years!!

Sent from my SM-G925V using Tapatalk
I use AVG and it's free for the basic protection which has worked well for me.

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
Norton, McAfee, BitDefender, Kaspersky, Avast. If you google "Top 10 Antivirus" you'll get pretty much the same 10, just in a different order of effectiveness. I'm in IT and I generally recommend Norton to all of my clients, but it's mostly a matter of preference among the top sellers. Also, don't automatically go to the company's website to purchase whichever you choose. Check with Amazon 1st. For instance, I get Norton with a 5-device license from Amazon for sometimes as little as $20 as opposed to $80 if I purchase directly from Norton. On Amazon, it may be $40 today and $20 tomorrow.

Also, depending on your ISP, you may be entitled to free antivirus. I use Brighthouse and they provide free McAfee for up to 3 machines.
I get Norton free from Comcast. I overlay it with Malwarebytes and Hitman Pro. I'm not going to try to guess the problem, but I do have a hunch...

Bazza

TideFans Legend
Oct 1, 2011
New Smyrna Beach, Florida

Thank you! Never knew my provider offers free anti-virus protection! I have BH too and will contact them to confirm. Currently I am using Avast without any issues. It's not the free version - I paid about $50/yr.

CraigD

All-American
Aug 8, 2006
Columbus, GA
The problems I've observed are:-

- text (in a quoted post, I think) being inserted in front of existing/previously typed text. It's hard to explain and I'm going from memory at the moment. It's as if the text is filling in from right to left instead of from left to right.
- Space bar not working. When that happens I save the post, then edit it and add the spaces.

I typically post at home, where I use Windows 10 and Chrome.

EDIT: Oh, and slow loading / ads loading indefinitely.

Last edited:

TrampLineman

Hall of Fame
Jul 21, 2010
Alabama
The problems I've observed are:-

- text (in a quoted post, I think) being inserted in front of existing/previously typed text. It's hard to explain and I'm going from memory at the moment. It's as if the text is filling in from right to left instead of from left to right.
- Space bar not working. When that happens I save the post, then edit it and add the spaces.

I typically post at home, where I use Windows 10 and Chrome.
Sounds like me kind of except mine jumps above a line and even if you bring it back to the line you was typing in it will jump back above no matter what once you type.

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.