What would it take for the U.S. to abandon the two-party system?

NationalTitles18

TideFans Legend
May 25, 2003
Mountainous Northern California
I think that would be a great start, but you still have to address the elephant in the room. Unless we take Wall Street/Corporate money out of politics. What you would more than likely see would be a change in the their tactics. Instead of buying politicians on both sides of the isle they would simple lease them and then back/finance their successors campaigns to ensure that their policies keep moving ahead unchanged.
How do we get corporate money out without removing all special interest money, including unions and any other association of like minded people? Remember when forming your answer that we do have an equal protection clause in the constitution.

CrimsonRuss

1st Team
Sep 30, 2015
How do we get corporate money out without removing all special interest money, including unions and any other association of like minded people? Remember when forming your answer that we do have an equal protection clause in the constitution.
Easy! By asking a simple question, does this help to enrich the lives of a minority or a majority of people in this country.

Tidewater

Hall of Fame
Mar 15, 2003
Hooterville, Vir.
I think that would be a great start, but you still have to address the elephant in the room. Unless we take Wall Street/Corporate money out of politics. What you would more than likely see would be a change in the their tactics. Instead of buying politicians on both sides of the isle they would simple lease them and then back/finance their successors campaigns to ensure that their policies keep moving ahead unchanged.
The overwhelming majority of contributions in the Cesspool on the Potomac are campaign contributions. Completely legal, and welcomed because everybody is up for re-election (well, except one guy, and only for the next month) Remove the need for campaign contributions, and K Street would dry up.
Then the only reason to spend money in DC would be out and out bribery. A lot of that could be handled by directing office holders to declare assets & income yearly.
Reform movements, in my view, run afoul of trying to restrict the voters/the public. I'd much rather restrict the office holders. If you don't like the restrictions, don't seek public office.

Tide1986

Suspended
Nov 22, 2008
Birmingham, AL
Until we take corporate money out of American politics it's a moot point. Both parties are addicted to Wall Street/Corporate money and are completely out of touch with 99% of its constituents.
Reducing the size and scope of government is the best way to reduce the influence of money in my opinion.

Bodhisattva

Hall of Fame
Aug 22, 2001
Ponte Vedra Beach, Florida
Reducing the size and scope of government is the best way to reduce the influence of money in my opinion.
Yep. The more government does, the more interested parties lobby to influence what the government does. You have to go to the source to solve the problem. As one colleague of mine put it: The best way to permanently get rid of all the green bottle flies is to get rid of all the (crap).

Last edited:

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.