"A Christmas Story": Low-Budget Fluke to American Tradition

Tide1986

Suspended
Nov 22, 2008
Birmingham, AL
Great column about the movie.

http://www.vanityfair.com/hollywood/2016/11/how-a-christmas-story-became-an-american-tradition

Bergmann noticed that Clark uses as Ralphie’s target on Christmas morning an old metal sign, partially obscured, that says, GOLDEN AGE. “It’s the GOLDEN AGE sign that ricochets that BB back at him and [knocks off] his glasses and almost shoots his eye out,” Bergmann explains. “Talk about irony. You only see that sign, and it’s partly covered, but I’ve seen uncovered versions of it—somebody was selling one on eBay.”

But even if our golden age is rusty and obscured and being sold on eBay,
A Christmas Story nonetheless reflects a golden age. Zack Ward sums it up: “I’ve seen five-year-old kids squat down in front of the TV and not talk while they’re watching it. There’s no song from Frozen, there’s no dancing, no talking reindeer or snowman. It’s kids, in a time when that five-year-old doesn’t care if it’s a little white boy or girl, little black boy or girl, Hispanic, Asian, Jewish—it doesn’t matter: they don’t care. They’re watching it because that’s their family.”

Last edited:

Jessica4Bama

Hall of Fame
Nov 7, 2009
Alabama
My absolute most favorite Christmas movie. I will binge watch it every Christmas Eve and Christmas Day during the 24 hour marathon.

MDBSnare

All-SEC
Nov 5, 2007
My absolute most favorite Christmas movie. I will binge watch it every Christmas Eve and Christmas Day during the 24 hour marathon.

You and me both!! All day long on Christmas, only thing on TV the whole day...BIL has an actual leg lamp!

Displaced Bama Fan

Hall of Fame
Jun 5, 2000
Shiner, TX
"Only I didn't say fudge."
---------------------------------------------------
"Mrs. Schwartz do you know what my son said?"

"No, not that!"

"Do you know where he heard it from?"

"His father?"

"No, you're son."

"What!?! What?!?"

"Ow mom, what's I do, what'd I do?!" (As Schwartz is getting beat in the background.)

That may be my favorite scene...demented, I know.

DzynKingRTR

TideFans Legend
Dec 17, 2003
Vinings, ga., usa
Great article--gave me some things to look for next time we watch it. Thanks for posting.
I have never actually thought about it but the one person who gets him the coveted Red Ryder BB gun was the one person he didn’t ask. I never really thought about it until this article points it out. The old man just knew.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.