Conditioning

AJDawg

Dec 7, 2016
Just looked at the video you supplied. Very, very impressive stuff. Seems like the Tide has physical preparation down to a science.

Lots of prognosticators say that your defense gradually overwhelms people in the 4th quarter due to depth and conditioning.

So my question is: Have any of you seen the movie "Junction Boys"? I bet everyone has. It basically outlines how Bear Bryant started out at Texas A&M. I know it's a movie but I think it's pretty close to accurate in how hard the practices were for those kids in blistering hot conditions. Near the end of the movie you get a good insight into how good a coach Bear turned out to be.
=> Did Bear take those same practice attitudes to Alabama? Do they still run heavy conditioning during fall camp? From playing myself in HS I can relate to how much it sucks but it seems to pay off in actual games.

Any insights into what goes on now for practice? Any former players ever talk about what they went through?

Thanks.

AJD

We wear teams down offensively in the second half. Most teams are overwhelmed by the defense almost instantly. The defense isn't just well conditioned, they are extremely well coached.

Conditioning overall is top notch and I'll say second to none.

Practice will be gradual leading up. They'll practice indoors because of the field. Start off in shells then go up to full contact while implementing the game plan. They'll start though with fundamentals.

[emoji208]Sent from my iPhone [emoji336]using Tapatalk Pro

NationalTitles18

TideFans Legend
May 25, 2003
Mountainous Northern California
Just looked at the video you supplied. Very, very impressive stuff. Seems like the Tide has physical preparation down to a science.

Lots of prognosticators say that your defense gradually overwhelms people in the 4th quarter due to depth and conditioning.

So my question is: Have any of you seen the movie "Junction Boys"? I bet everyone has. It basically outlines how Bear Bryant started out at Texas A&M. I know it's a movie but I think it's pretty close to accurate in how hard the practices were for those kids in blistering hot conditions. Near the end of the movie you get a good insight into how good a coach Bear turned out to be.
=> Did Bear take those same practice attitudes to Alabama? Do they still run heavy conditioning during fall camp? From playing myself in HS I can relate to how much it sucks but it seems to pay off in actual games.

Any insights into what goes on now for practice? Any former players ever talk about what they went through?

Thanks.

AJD
Man, even Coach Bryant expressed regret for what he put those Junction Boys through. Times were way different back then. Of course, he had already coached at Maryland and won an SEC championship prior to taking aTm job so he wasn't exactly starting out. That 1950 KY team was the only one to ever win the SEC outright, went 11-1 and beat #1 Oklahoma in the Sugar Bowl. IOW, Coach was already a very proven commodity by then.

Training never stops. Ever. These guys don't need to get into playing shape during fall camp.

I'd agree that this defense becomes overwhelming on the first snap of the game.

Not sure why we needed a new thread. This would have fit nicely in the other. That's how we Roll around here.

gtgilbert

All-American
Aug 12, 2011
We wear teams down offensively in the second half. Most teams are overwhelmed by the defense almost instantly. The defense isn't just well conditioned, they are extremely well coached.

Conditioning overall is top notch and I'll say second to none.

Practice will be gradual leading up. They'll practice indoors because of the field. Start off in shells then go up to full contact while implementing the game plan. They'll start though with fundamentals.

agree with the assessment of offense and defense. I've always though the offense was like a python - it just keeps squeezing tighter and tighter. Every time the opponent exhales, it gets a little tighter and harder to breathe, till there's just nothing to be done and we can have our way with them. The defense is an anaconda. So big, fast and powerful it blacks the other team out and eats them while they're still wiggling around.

agree with the assessment of offense and defense. I've always though the offense was like a python - it just keeps squeezing tighter and tighter. Every time the opponent exhales, it gets a little tighter and harder to breathe, till there's just nothing to be done and we can have our way with them. The defense is an anaconda. So big, fast and powerful it blacks the other team out and eats them while they're still wiggling around.
That's the kind of analogy that someone should use in books. Perfect.

4Q Basket Case

FB|BB Moderator
Staff member
Nov 8, 2004
Tuscaloosa
To answer the opening question: Sort of. Bryant took those techniques to Tuscaloosa. BUT there was not, to my knowledge, anything like the Junction camp during his time here.

The main difference is that, during the 1960s, there was a tradeoff -- if you were big (and 250 pounds was really big for the day), you were slow. That started to evolve during the 1970s, and by the mid-80s, it was simply no longer true.

My point is this: in 1954 or so, you'd run a fat guy off. In the late 70s, you'd destroy a highly effective athlete with that same regimen.

That, to me, was Bryant's greatest genius -- the ability to adapt with the times, yet never let go of his basic philosophy.

Saban has done exactly the same thing. The 2009 and 2011 defenses wouldn't be as effective today as they were in their time. Too big. Too slow sideline to sideline. Couldn't deal with today's full exploitation of OL three yards downfield.

To me, that was when Saban transitioned from a great coach into all-time territory. He didn't agree with or like the changes in the rules. He just adapted to them while maintaining his basic philosophy, which is eerily similar to Bryant's. And once again, we're debating which of a half-dozen defenses are his best.

I am blessed to have seen this twice. When this run is over, I expect I'll be off the earth before it happens again.

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA

Thanks.

AJD
I was actually on campus as a freshman when Coach Bryant returned. (You won't hear any of us OFs refer to him as "Bear"). Yes, he did bring some conditioning practices with him which would seem extreme today, and, as 4Q says, he did later say that he wouldn't have done them again. There was one tackle, Carl Valletto, with whom I had a night class. Carl was a big hulking guy from the PA coal country. He probably weighed 240 or so under Whitworth, huge for the day. I think he was conditioned down to something like 215, far too thin for his frame. Our class was on the 2nd floor and he could barely climb the stairs.

Now, for the other side of the coin - the game was far different then. Once a player left the game, he couldn't return until the next quarter, so guys had to play both ways and they had to be conditioned to do it. You had a 1st and 2nd string, usually called "platoons," and, at Bama, they were the Red (1st) and White (2nd). However, they all had to play two ways. This has to be kept in mind when the conditioning requirements of the day are discussed...

Alasippi

Suspended
Aug 31, 2007
Ocean Springs, MS
I was actually on campus as a freshman when Coach Bryant returned. (You won't hear any of us OFs refer to him as "Bear"). Yes, he did bring some conditioning practices with him which would seem extreme today, and, as 4Q says, he did later say that he wouldn't have done them again. There was one tackle, Carl Valletto, with whom I had a night class. Carl was a big hulking guy from the PA coal country. He probably weighed 240 or so under Whitworth, huge for the day. I think he was conditioned down to something like 215, far too thin for his frame. Our class was on the 2nd floor and he could barely climb the stairs.

Now, for the other side of the coin - the game was far different then. Once a player left the game, he couldn't return until the next quarter, so guys had to play both ways and they had to be conditioned to do it. You had a 1st and 2nd string, usually called "platoons," and, at Bama, they were the Red (1st) and White (2nd). However, they all had to play two ways. This has to be kept in mind when the conditioning requirements of the day are discussed...
That's pretty awesome Earle. I attended my first game in 1961. Billy Richardson, from my hometown (Jasper), was a senior starting RB and Pat Trammel was the QB. Most of all though, there was a band member named Peggy Hoobler.
Her Mom was my day care provider, and I loved her til her dying day..
She cooked us pinto beans with corn bread........YUM...and then she made us take a nap..
We slept well. We were soooo full
I was six years old and we won the national title. Bryant's first title.
And thus, my introduction to Bama football. And why I treasure it so much.
I'll never forget it.
Like yesterday.

Last edited:

OreBama

All-American
Sep 26, 2005
Portland, OR
I know that in Seattle everyone eats lots of Salmon and gluten free, non-GMO, organic foods. We don't have that in Alabama, or, at least, not when I was there. Our players get by, though.

dvldog

Hall of Fame
Sep 20, 2005
Virginia
I know that in Seattle everyone eats lots of Salmon and gluten free, non-GMO, organic foods. We don't have that in Alabama, or, at least, not when I was there. Our players get by, though.
Salmon and gluten free. UW's secret weapons. Those sneaky you know what's. We will simply have no answer.

92tide

TideFans Legend
May 9, 2000
East Point, Ga, USA

Thanks.

AJD
you must be new here

runtheoption22

News|BB|FB|REC Moderator
Staff member
Nov 10, 2003
Cleveland

Thanks.

AJD
there is an interview out there somewhere with Stallings and some other guys that were there. They said it was extremely rough but the film did not accurately portray Coach Bryant.... seems like one person said "Coach would've never said 'I am God'" like the film said.

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
LOL! I was reminded of the Lewis and Clark's expedition and their description of their overwinter with the Indians, eating only salmon. The natives even lighted with dried salmon which they stuck into walls and set alight. In the description, they say everything reeked of salmon. Some of the men got desperate enough to leave for red meat hunting excursions. I think it's safe to say none of them ever ate another salmon... :D

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.