Link: Little known Bear story, from CF Hall of Fame Dinner with Paterno

tidegrandpa

All-American
Even as women began to attend the dinner annually, it took a while for the decorum of a stag dinner to evolve. In 1978, the foundation invited Bryant and Penn State's Joe Paterno, the coaches of the two teams that would play in the Sugar Bowl for the national championship, to speak at the dinner. Bryant needed to relieve his 65-year-old kidneys. Paterno recalled Bryant fidgeting like a little boy.
When he finally was introduced, Bryant walked to the microphone and said, "It's a great honor to be here. I'm really looking forward to playing Coach Paterno and Penn State. If y'all will excuse me now, I gotta go take a ....." And Bryant walked off the stage, never to be seen again.
Jay Paterno told the story as his father used to tell it to him. His father, the next scheduled speaker, would laugh so hard he had tears in his eyes. "How do you follow that?" he asked.

http://www.espn.com/college-footbal...lege-football-hall-fame-dinner-living-history :BigA:

Chukker Veteran

Hall of Fame
Feb 6, 2001
Jay Paterno in my opinion likes to mention Coach Bryant and Paterno's father in the same breath as if to give his father some credibility.

Last edited:

Con

Hall of Fame
Dec 19, 2006
Northern Hemisphere
I agree with Chukker Veteran, but he (Jay Paterno) has been telling some of these stories since before the whole Sandusky scandal hit. Despite the fact of what he may be trying to do to help his Dad's image, I enjoy hearing Coach Bryant stories from people.

PA Tide Fan

All-American
Dec 11, 2014
Lancaster, PA
Jay Paterno in my opinion likes to mention Coach Bryant and Paterno's father in the same breath as if to give his father some credibility.
Occasionally I will mention Coach Bryant and Joe Paterno in the same breath but only when I'm reminding Penn State fans that Joe Paterno never defeated Coach Bryant going 0-4 against him.

Chukker Veteran

Hall of Fame
Feb 6, 2001
I always enjoy old stories about Coach Bryant, but as someone who loves the game of football, that was a well-written article. Recommended reading in my book.
It was a great article, full of good facts and tidbits about a bunch of football folks.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.