Minnesota Players Boycotting All Football Activities After 10 Players Suspended...

Go Bama

Hall of Fame
Dec 6, 2009
16outa17essee
No, but the school may have destroyed their lives. When a man is found guilty of sexual assault, and that is what happened here, it tends to follow him around for a long, long time.

Punish them if you have to, and I believe that they had to, but keep their names and the accusations out of the press. That may be the worst thing to come of this. Their friends, in trying to help these guys, have raised awareness of their accusations to a whole new level.
How are they supposed to keep it out of the press? Maybe I'm missing something here, but once I read the report it was obvious the school had to suspend these guys. They're football players and someone is going to notice they're missing,right? Title IX, the school's code of ethics, and common decency all required the school to take action. The school had no choice.

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
How are they supposed to keep it out of the press? Maybe I'm missing something here, but once I read the report it was obvious the school had to suspend these guys. They're football players and someone is going to notice they're missing,right? Title IX, the school's code of ethics, and common decency all required the school to take action. The school had no choice.
I agree that they had to take action, but they had choices. One very clear choice - they could have waited two more weeks to do this. They waited all season. If this happens after their bowl season is over, no one notices and no one cares.

Go Bama

Hall of Fame
Dec 6, 2009
16outa17essee
I agree that they had to take action, but they had choices. One very clear choice - they could have waited two more weeks to do this. They waited all season. If this happens after their bowl season is over, no one notices and no one cares.
Ok, I see your point. However, even if the two weeks are waited, the guys still get burned, just not as badly. I don't know how long the school took to complete the investigation.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk

Last edited:

drwho

Suspended
Dec 11, 2013
I want to note I'm no MRA, there is just something unsettling about universities punishing students for criminal actions that law enforcement declined to prosecute.
So universities should ignore student conduct violations?

PitMaster

Suspended
Aug 24, 2015
The police and DA have a lot to do with it because they're the ones that should be deciding to prosecute them on the behalf of the people. As far as I'm concerned - without any evidence that this investigation was corrupted by the DA, law enforcement, or university - these people are innocent and should still be enrolled, scholarship students at Minnesota.

It isn't a public university's job to play court.
Is the job of someone to do the right thing though, and in this case the university did it

drwho

Suspended
Dec 11, 2013
No, but the school may have destroyed their lives. When a man is found guilty of sexual assault, and that is what happened here, it tends to follow him around for a long, long time.
If they are guilty of sexual assault, they are the ones that destroyed the lives-theirs and hers.

CrimsonNagus

Hall of Fame
Jun 6, 2007
Montgomery, Alabama, United States
Universities punish students all the time for things that law enforcement would decline to prosecute. I don't understand why that is even an issue here.

Title IX does not require due process and it doesn't even require proof beyond a reasonable doubt. I work on a college campus and we have Title IX "training" twice a year. According to our Title IX coordinator, regarding sexual misconduct, all that is require is a conclusion that the accused more then likely did something wrong and the school can kick the student out. It is all on the accused to prove his/her innocence, at universities guilt is assumed first. I don't agree with these policies, it gives way to much power to someone falsely accusing a student, but I've been in these meeting for 3 years and this stuff is explained every time.

Minnesota doesn't have to prove anything, they just have to suspect something. We may not like that but, it's what Title IX allows right now.

drwho

Suspended
Dec 11, 2013
Like I've said earlier, this investigation was handled on the up and up...no shady business where the university protected the players. The prosecutor declined to prosecute so there was clearly a murky picture on what happened. This action by the university is about PR. Pure and simple. The players are hitting them where it hurts by screwing them out of money.
The picture isn't necessarily murky. There are many reasons why the DA declined to prosecute at this point, and that doesn't mean that they won't do so in the future.

Perhaps it's less about PR and actually about trying to do the right thing.

Mystical

All-American
Sep 28, 2009
Fairhope, Alabama
Is the reason why the DA refuses to press charges against the players just insufficient data or are there other reason?

[emoji208]Sent from my iPhone [emoji336]using Tapatalk Pro
What I read is they looked at the video and it looked like she was an active participant. My only thing is even if true. What if this were your daughter?

PaulD

All-SEC
Dec 29, 2006
near Perry, Georgia, United States
Is the reason why the DA refuses to press charges against the players just insufficient data or are there other reason?

That is what was said at the time. As I said in an earlier post, based on my experience as a military and state prosecutor, the prosecuting attorney's decision not to prosecute is not a finding of innocence.

What I read is they looked at the video and it looked like she was an active participant. My only thing is even if true. What if this were your daughter?
I think I'd be more disappointed in my daughter than mad at the guys, that's if she was a willing partner in this. That is NOT sexual assault. That's two consenting adults, in this case several. You cannot punish the guys on that and to me that would mean Minnesota is overstepping their bounds.

That is what was said at the time. As I said in an earlier post, based on my experience as a military and state prosecutor, the prosecuting attorney's decision not to prosecute is not a finding of innocence.
Yeah, just wanted to know. Lack of evidence is killer because sometimes the victim covers the tracks too well and I hate that for the girl in this case if it is truly sexual assault. I have people that I know personally who were rape victims and nothing happened to the perp.

PaulD

All-SEC
Dec 29, 2006
Another perspective:

Minnesota football players have chosen the wrong issue on which to make a stand

Trying to move this back to football, apparently UM faces a noon deadline to confirm to the Holiday Bowl whether or not they will play. Based on the refusal of the administration to reinstate the players (and I don't see how they could), UM will withdraw. NIU is next up on the last of 5-7 teams that can be called on (don't get me started on the too many bowl games subject) and they say they'll recall the players from home and show up if needed.

Mystical

All-American
Sep 28, 2009
Fairhope, Alabama
I think I'd be more disappointed in my daughter than mad at the guys, that's if she was a willing partner in this. That is NOT sexual assault. That's two consenting adults, in this case several. You cannot punish the guys on that and to me that would mean Minnesota is overstepping their bounds.

I am not saying they should necessarily go to jail, if she was completely willing, but they at the minimum violated the code of conduct. The peer pressure these athletes can exert is extraordinary. With that power comes responsibility. Reading her account she felt pressure each step of the way. I am saying they should get the punishment handed down.

PaulD

All-SEC
Dec 29, 2006

The university looked at much more than just the video to reach the conclusion that her ability to consent was impaired.

I am not saying they should necessarily go to jail, if she was completely willing, but they at the minimum violated the code of conduct. The peer pressure these athletes can exert is extraordinary. With that power comes responsibility. Reading her account she felt pressure each step of the way. I am saying they should get the punishment handed down.
Ok, I didn't know there was a guideline for how one should have sex. Very strange. But yeah if she felt pressured, I believe that is wrong. Still, did she at any point say no?

drwho

Suspended
Dec 11, 2013
Ok, I didn't know there was a guideline for how one should have sex. Very strange. But yeah if she felt pressured, I believe that is wrong. Still, did she at any point say no?
\
There is. And it involves not being coerced or pressured into doing it.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.