Has your auto insurance gone up?

GreatMarch

All-SEC
Dec 10, 2010
Birmingham, AL
Our State Farm auto has risen slightly as well over the last year. It may have to do with State Farm losing an appeal in regards to claims not being paid from Hurricane Katrina. I say sarcastically, that State Farm has to find a way to pay those claims and legal fees.

2003TIDE

Hall of Fame
Jul 10, 2007
ATL
My insurance went up for no reason at all. I have/had American Family. They suck.
There is a reason. Auto accident rates in the US are increasing for various reasons including distracted driving and the insurance companies are losing money. So rates are going to rise.

CrimsonForce

Hall of Fame
Dec 20, 2012
I have auto and home with State Farm. My home insurance has gone up significantly the past 3 years. I haven't filed any claims or had any changes to my home. I looked into switching to all State. All State was a lot lower on home insurance but higher on auto. I would have saved $20 by switching. Not worth the hassle to me..

RollTideMang

All-American
Oct 16, 2009
St. Louis, MO
Yeah mine has gone up (State Farm). Last January, my car insurance was $455. In July it went up to $488. Now this January, it went up again to $552. I haven't had any accidents or claims, but it just keeps going up.

Really annoys me too that it keeps rising.

Jessica4Bama

Hall of Fame
Nov 7, 2009
Alabama
Sorry to bump this thread, but I got my statement in for my insurance that is due in July. My Subaru went up $76 in six months. My Jeep went up $17. This is getting ridiculous.

DzynKingRTR

TideFans Legend
Dec 17, 2003
Vinings, ga., usa
Sorry to bump this thread, but I got my statement in for my insurance that is due in July. My Subaru went up $76 in six months. My Jeep went up $17. This is getting ridiculous.
mine went up as well. apparently it doesn't matter that I am a good driver with no accidents, I suffer because of everyone else.

Bamabuzzard

FB Moderator
Staff member
Aug 15, 2004
Where ever there's BBQ, Bourbon & Football
My insurance agent got "offended"/"mad" at me when I told him that "Uninsured motorist" insurance was nothing more than welfare insurance and was a crock of crappola. Ours has steadily gone up. But I quit trying to figure out why. I just assume I'm absorbing cost for someone else not having it. That's usually what it is.

DzynKingRTR

TideFans Legend
Dec 17, 2003
Vinings, ga., usa
My insurance agent got "offended"/"mad" at me when I told him that "Uninsured motorist" insurance was nothing more than welfare insurance and was a crock of crappola. Ours has steadily gone up. But I quit trying to figure out why. I just assume I'm absorbing cost for someone else not having it. That's usually what it is.
The person that hit me had crappy insurance so I pursued a claim through my "uninsured motorist" insurance. They have offered next to nothing. I don't know why I have bothered to pay my premiums.

Bamabuzzard

FB Moderator
Staff member
Aug 15, 2004
Where ever there's BBQ, Bourbon & Football
The person that hit me had crappy insurance so I pursued a claim through my "uninsured motorist" insurance. They have offered next to nothing. I don't know why I have bothered to pay my premiums.
Yeah, my wife was in a horrific wreck back in 2011 where she was hit by a guy who went into a diabetic coma doing 70 mph down the interstate. Guy had liability coverage only. Long story short, the most important thing was my family survived and I still have them. On the business aspect of it we learned you can't get blood out of turnip and it cost us $18,000 in savings when it was all said and done. I have no problem giving the middle finger to as many insurance agents as I can..... with a smile though....and in Jesus name... and with as much love as possible. :biggrin:

CajunCrimson

Moderator (FB,BB) and Vinyl Enthusiast
Staff member
Mar 13, 2001
Breaux Bridge, La
We have 4 cars insured.....3 are paid for, all minimal coverage. 1 still paying on - full coverage. No accidents (knock on wood) -- 2 are 19 years old. One is my wife, one is me.....$756/month. Welcome to Louisiana.

TrampLineman

Hall of Fame
Jul 21, 2010
Alabama
When I was 19 I bought a Ram 4x4 and was paying $172 a month in full coverage insurance. Only time it went down is when I traded it in 4 years later. It's the only time mine has went down my whole life and I have had no wrecks and no tickets. It's nothing but a legal racket.

seebell

Hall of Fame
Mar 12, 2012
Gurley, Al
I have had State Farm for 40 years as well. No complaints except rates are too high. After reading some posts here I went to Amica online and filled out the online quote form which included my phone #. I didn't get an online quote but I have already gotten 6 phone calls from insurance agents. WTH? :mad:

I pay State Farm $358 every 6 months for full coverage on a 2008 F150 XLT. Limits of 100000/300000.

Last edited:

sabanball

All-American
Jan 4, 2006
High Cotton
For those that have recently filed accident claims, did your insurance company try and balk at using OE parts for the repairs? I have come to know that normally the insurance company's "preferred list" of auto repair shops is just a list of body shops that will do things like use junkyard or substandard (read: cheaper parts) parts for repairs or use body filler on body panels instead of replacing body panels.

Just curious if anyone has encountered that...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

TrampLineman

Hall of Fame
Jul 21, 2010
Alabama
For those that have recently filed accident claims, did your insurance company try and balk at using OE parts for the repairs? I have come to know that normally the insurance company's "preferred list" of auto repair shops is just a list of body shops that will do things like use junkyard or substandard (read: cheaper parts) parts for repairs or use body filler on body panels instead of replacing body panels.

Just make sure when you talk to those body shops to ask if they use OE parts or junkyard. If junk, stay away. If the insurance company gives you flak start talking about a lawyer. Their list is "preferred" which means you can take it where you want eventually.

Bondo is not bad when it's actually used in moderation. If it's a pretty big impact then yes it can be bad.

If you can't tell I have a brother in the business as he paints. I used to work for them in the summers when I was still in h.s. The good shops will use OE parts unless you tell them otherwise. You have the right to know when you get the estimate.

Bama Reb

Suspended
Nov 2, 2005
On the lake and in the woods, AL
I got my new insurance cards in the mail today along with the bill. Mine through State Farm has been going up ever so steadily the last year. My 2002 Jeep is only $60 less with the same coverage I might add as my 2016 Subaru. Wonder why that is and why it just keeps going up with no accidents or tickets?

just curious if everyone else's insurance has went up?
Yes, I'm with State Farm and mine has been going up also.

Jon

Hall of Fame
Feb 22, 2002
Atlanta 'Burbs

yup, went through this in December and ultimately they ended up totally the car, which sucked cause we loved it, it was paid off and cost far more to replace than what the Ins company was willing to give us

CaliforniaTide

All-American
Aug 9, 2006
Huntsville, AL
A couple of things I've learned from working for State Farm:

- If SF's rates are going up, chances are very good that other competing companies' rates are going up as well. SF tends to be ahead of the curve in regards to rate increases. The local SF office is almost never told about a particular client's rate increase - those are decided at the corporate level. Some rate increases are due to changes in state laws or policy in regards to insurance companies.

- Always talk to your agent, and try to get a face-to-face meeting. Some agents will work harder for you if you come in; others won't.

- In regards to switching companies, we found that GEICO didn't particularly have the best practices. If you threaten leave GEICO for anyone, they'll promise to reduce your payments. To me, if I'm that important of a customer, you should be looking to reduce my payment without me threatening to leave. That's just me; I know some people are more price-sensitive.

- Somethings to consider for vehicle rate increases: yearly mileage change, safety ratings of the vehicle (which can change over time), policy bundles. If you know you're driving less miles/year than when you started the policy with your agent, get it revised and see if that changes it. Most vehicles covered by SF are rated at 10,000/year if the customer doesn't say anything or isn't sure about their yearly mileage. If you're only paying for auto with SF, they do offer discounts for bundling homeowners and certain life insurance policies.

I no longer work for SF, but keep my policies there. My rates have increased, but not to the point that I will look elsewhere. Ultimately, I've found that if you own multiple vehicles (3 or more), you're going to paying a bit for the coverage. Just trying to be honest.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.