Does the Bama Defense Take a Step Backwards Next Year?

DrollTide

All-SEC
Oct 18, 2008
Hunts Patch
What team can lose Robinson, Reed, Pettway and Ragland, and have a front 7 that improves?

Alabama does.

I am prepared to accept this does not happen again. It is possible that Pruitt is an upgrade on Kirby, as unlikely as that sounds, which means we got a one-time coordinator kick last year. And we absolutely lucked out with returning seniors.

I'm in the corner that next year we will have an excellent defense, but it would be too much to expect it will be "better". But the offense may be better, and a defense that is not on the field may put up improved numbers with fewer snaps to defend.

Mystical

All-American
Sep 28, 2009
Fairhope, Alabama
J. A. is a special special player. He will be missed. Rueben Foster is playing as well as any linebacker we have had and is probably the fastest. Going to be hard to replace that on defense. If the light comes on for D. Hand maybe we can only take a half step back.

CajunCrimson

Moderator (FB,BB) and Vinyl Enthusiast
Staff member
Mar 13, 2001
Breaux Bridge, La
Plus Jennings, Terrell Hall and Evans will be beasts. Mack Wilson seems like a Foster clone, even in his development.

Payne
Hand
???

Evans
SDH
Hall
Jennings
Wilson

Hamilton
Minkah
Averitt
Brown

Humphrey???

Not too shabby.....

trenda

Hall of Fame
May 17, 2000
Hendersonville, TN USA
What is a step backwards for this defense? Top 5-10 unit instead of a top 1-3 unit?

This is the beauty of what Coach Saban has put together. The pieces for next year are there. It's just a matter of watching it all come together.

So. Much. Fun. to be a Tide fan right now.

teamplayer

Hall of Fame
Jul 31, 2001
cullman, al, usa
Coach Saban and his staff recruit like crazy and coach these young men very well, so I don't think there will ever be a bad defense out on the field as long as Saban remains at Bama. With that said, it is hard to imagine losing some of these guys and still being as good. However, I also wonder if our defense has been as great as some talk about or if we have played several limited offenses, which had no chance against this D. Earlier in the year, we gave up 40 to Ole Miss and 30 to Arkansas, and I wondered if our defense was going to gel or just be a bunch of individuals. There are times our defense has looked absolutely incredible, but I think the playoff will determine how they are remembered. I think Washington has enough weapons to challenge us and a QB who can distribute the ball if their line can hold up. I also think Clemson will beat OSU and will challenge our D once again if we both win and face off. If our D shuts down the Huskies and either the Bucks or Tigers, then we can call them great. Then, we will start really talking about who is coming back or not and which guys are ready to step up and be the studs of next year, and there will be plenty of studs next year.

Last edited:

bamacon

Hall of Fame
Apr 11, 2008
College Football's Mecca, Tuscaloosa
Reuben is great but it took him TIME before he "got it" too. Look for Evans to look like RF next season. You saw the explosiveness on the goal line in the SECCG. The talent is there. Just got to connect all the dots. Ben Davis redshirted for goodness sakes. He's insane talent. Mack Wilson SDH, Raekwon, Payne, and others. Like Coachjeff said, it'll skyrocket in terms of the stats they give up but it'll still be dang good. The secondary will be sick which will help any pass rushing issues. It'll likely be a ball hawking frenzy group too.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

CajunCrimson

Moderator (FB,BB) and Vinyl Enthusiast
Staff member
Mar 13, 2001
Breaux Bridge, La
Coach Saban and his staff recruit like crazy and coach these young men very well, so I don't think there will ever be a bad defense out on the field as long as Saban remains at Bama. With that said, it is hard to imagine losing some of these guys and still being as good. However, I also wonder if our defense has been as great as some talk about or if we have played several limited offenses, which had no chance against this D. Earlier in the year, we gave up 40 to Ole Miss and 30 to Arkansas, and I wondered if our defense was going to gel or just be a bunch of individuals. There are times our defense has looked absolutely incredible, but I think the playoff will determine how they are remembered. I think Washington has enough weapons to challenge us and a QB who can distribute the ball if their line can hold up. I also think Clemson will beat OSU and will challenge our D once again if we both win and face off. If they shut down the Huskies and either the Bucks or Tigers, then we can call them great. Then, we will start really talking about who is coming back or not and which guys are ready to step up and be the studs of next year, and there will be plenty of studs next year.
Keep in mind, a young offense was a big part of the problem at Ole Miss, plus the defense scored in that game on 2 FR and a PR...which kept putting them back on the field. They were gassed at the end.

bamacon

Hall of Fame
Apr 11, 2008
College Football's Mecca, Tuscaloosa
DT/E9 Da’Shawn Hand90 Jamar King
NG94 Daron Payne69 Josh Frazier91 O.J. Smith
E Johnny Dwight
JACK33 Anfernee Jennings24 Terrell Hall
WLB20 Shaun Dion Hamilton42 Keith Holcombe31 Keaton Anderson
MLB32 Rashaan Evans3 Mack Wilson
SLB47 Christian Miller16 Jamey Mosley
RCB. 28 Anthony Averrett. 29 Minkah Fitzpatrick5 2 Jared Mayden
FS15 Ronnie Harrison14 Deionte Thompson39 Levi Wallace
SS29 Minkah Fitzpatrick 6 Hootie Jones23 Aaron Robinson
LCBTony Brown Shyheim Carter

Pretty safe to assume Marlon declares so I took him out. Minkah got put in two spots for versatility purposes.

Last edited:

bigjue24

Suspended
Dec 2, 2009
Okeechobee, FL
A step back for this defense will be from in the discussion of greatest of all time to wow these guys are one of the best defenses in college football this year. I think they will be good because history tells me they will be. Saban has lost great player after great player and still puts good defenses on the field, and there is no reason to think he won't do the same this next year. The talent is there, and they will perform.

teamplayer

Hall of Fame
Jul 31, 2001
cullman, al, usa
DT/E9 Da’Shawn Hand90 Jamar King
NG94 Daron Payne69 Josh Frazier91 O.J. Smith
E Johnny Dwight
JACK33 Anfernee Jennings24 Terrell Hall
WLB20 Shaun Dion Hamilton42 Keith Holcombe31 Keaton Anderson
MLB32 Rashaan Evans3 Mack Wilson
SLB47 Christian Miller16 Jamey Mosley
RCB. 28 Anthony Averrett. 29 Minkah Fitzpatrick5 2 Jared Mayden
FS15 Ronnie Harrison14 Deionte Thompson39 Levi Wallace
SS29 Minkah Fitzpatrick 6 Hootie Jones23 Aaron Robinson
LCBTony Brown Shyheim Carter

Pretty safe to assume Marlon declares so I took him out. Minkah got put in two spots for versatility purposes.

I'm pretty sure a lot of coaches would love our "problems." As good, probably not. Good? I would guess we will be good.

teamplayer

Hall of Fame
Jul 31, 2001
cullman, al, usa
Keep in mind, a young offense was a big part of the problem at Ole Miss, plus the defense scored in that game on 2 FR and a PR...which kept putting them back on the field. They were gassed at the end.
These are also valid and fair points, but I still want another title before I call them great. I'm so spoiled.

Matt0424

All-American
Jan 16, 2010
Hoover, Al
Will the D take a step back? Yes..

Will the D still be better than 95% of the rest of football? Yes...

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

teamplayer

Hall of Fame
Jul 31, 2001
cullman, al, usa
If we don't win this year's playoff, it won't be because the defense was lacking.
We said that last year, too, and it took every big play our offense and special teams could muster in order to beat Clemson. Football is great because it is such a team sport. There are times in these modern times of offense when some teams can get on a roll and no defense can shut them down, especially if certain officials are calling the games. However, I am hoping to see all phases of our game clicking come 12/31.

PA Tide Fan

All-American
Dec 11, 2014
Lancaster, PA
If we don't win this year's playoff, it won't be because the defense was lacking.
There's no doubt that our defense got us to this point but I think our D could still lose it for us. I think we are vulnerable in the secondary. So far this season our pass rush has been so awesome that opposing QB's were unable to exploit this. We are going to face some very good QB's here in the playoff, so if any team can somehow slow down our pass rush we could get beat.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.