Does the Bama Defense Take a Step Backwards Next Year?

GrayTide

Hall of Fame
Nov 15, 2005
Greenbow, Alabama
There's no doubt that our defense got us to this point but I think our D could still lose it for us. I think we are vulnerable in the secondary. So far this season our pass rush has been so awesome that opposing QB's were unable to exploit this. We are going to face some very good QB's here in the playoff, so if any team can somehow slow down our pass rush we could get beat.
Totally agree both Watson and Barrett could torch our secondary running and throwing. Browning as a runner isn't a threat, but he is an excellent passer. I don't expect any of our games to be like Michigan State last year.

Tideflyer

Hall of Fame
Dec 14, 2011
Savannah, GA
There's no doubt that our defense got us to this point but I think our D could still lose it for us. I think we are vulnerable in the secondary. So far this season our pass rush has been so awesome that opposing QB's were unable to exploit this. We are going to face some very good QB's here in the playoff, so if any team can somehow slow down our pass rush we could get beat.
Absolutely. The secret to any great pass defense, IMO, is what happens up front. How many secondary's can totally blanket and shut down even a reasonably good receiver corps if any half way decent QB can stand back there for 3-5 seconds totally unmolested?

JustinT256

1st Team
Sep 21, 2015
Dayton, Ohio
Totally agree both Watson and Barrett could torch our secondary running and throwing. Browning as a runner isn't a threat, but he is an excellent passer. I don't expect any of our games to be like Michigan State last year.
Barrett doesn't really "torch" anybody. Browning is an excellent passer only when he has a clean pocket. He's not very good at improvising and can be very erratic when under pressure. Watson can and will do some damage if we play them. They're the only team that can get it done, IMO.

IMALOYAL1

All-American
Oct 28, 2000
Birmingham AL
Even if we did, would it really impact us that much when it comes wins and losses? I really don't think so.
If our offense steps up as I expect it to we could have bigger margins of victory than this year. Many say the SEC is down this year besides Alabama. Maybe so but several teams have players capable of winning 9 or 11 game in another conference. If we control the clock more next year our defense could have some stats that are better but I really like this years defense. Hate Shaun Hamilton and Eddie Jackson went down. Two more game will also help cement this years defense.

I thought we'd have a drop-off this year. Some said we wouldn't, but like many that just look at who is leaving, it's hard to imagine a backup outperforming top NFL picks like happened this year. So while BigTide has a good point that we lose some amazing players. After what we lost last year and still getting better, I just can't bet against Sabans defense.

He went on a mission a few years back to recruit a faster player without losing size and strength. As these kids go thru our training program and get 3 years under their belt they are better than they were when they were considered 5 stars. We also get a couple of JuCo's along with an under the radar kid or two. Lucky with injuries and more experience, I wouldn't be surprised if next year is similar to this years defense.

The main question may be will our offense get better. I think it will at least be more unpredictable under a different OC.

bamanix

1st Team
Mar 24, 2010
I think the offense will be better, and that will give our young defense time to develop early in the season. we just lose to much talent, and most of all leadership from this team. our defense will be competitive, but, they will need to stary off the field more next year.

bamacon

Hall of Fame
Apr 11, 2008
College Football's Mecca, Tuscaloosa
Another great question is about other schools in the conference...what are they losing vs. bringing back. UK will return a lot. Really not certain about everyone else. I told my OM friends that they would struggle with what they lost but I could never convince them. Granted, I didn't think they'd be 4-8 bad.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BamaHoosier

All-American
Jan 17, 2011
Noblesville Indiana
I think it would be naïve not to assume that we will step back a bit. Not to rehash all we are losing, it's been stated before a dozen times, but we are losing a lot in both quantity and quality. The thing I've learned under Saban though is to never assume the defense will be our weak point. I like the simplification of what Pruitt has been doing, and we've still recruited the heck out of that side of the ball. If the coaching staff can adjust the scheme to fit our talent, which they will, then it will be another strong year.

To me, the strength of next year's team will boil down less to talent than it does to leadership. Every year we lose talent, and see other talented guys step up. However the years we've struggled defensively more than others are the years that we don't see someone step up as the unquestioned leader. This year has been an anomaly in the sense that Allen, Eddie, and Reuben have all stepped up very strongly into that roll, but they've all worked together perfectly as alpha's. I think their leadership will be missed far more than their talents.

Wilson Monroe

1st Team
Jul 19, 2016
I think it would be naïve not to assume that we will step back a bit. Not to rehash all we are losing, it's been stated before a dozen times, but we are losing a lot in both quantity and quality. The thing I've learned under Saban though is to never assume the defense will be our weak point. I like the simplification of what Pruitt has been doing, and we've still recruited the heck out of that side of the ball. If the coaching staff can adjust the scheme to fit our talent, which they will, then it will be another strong year.

To me, the strength of next year's team will boil down less to talent than it does to leadership. Every year we lose talent, and see other talented guys step up. However the years we've struggled defensively more than others are the years that we don't see someone step up as the unquestioned leader. This year has been an anomaly in the sense that Allen, Eddie, and Reuben have all stepped up very strongly into that roll, but they've all worked together perfectly as alpha's. I think their leadership will be missed far more than their talents.

I think Minkah is well respected enough to provide top defensive leadership. Jalen is well respected enough to provide it on the offensive side. Others should step up as well. We sure are losing a lot of leaders, but the guys behind them have picked up the slack in years past. With Jalen and Minkah having such business-like attitudes, there will probably be a calmer demeanor among next year's team if it turns out that they are the two most respected leaders, as I think will happen. I see the team coming into a focused, "just do your job", type of attitude.

I think we can rest easy that motivation and leadership will continue in much the same way as past leaders have passed the torch.

ALA2262

All-American
Aug 4, 2007
Cumming, GA
Another great question is about other schools in the conference...what are they losing vs. bringing back. UK will return a lot. Really not certain about everyone else. I told my OM friends that they would struggle with what they lost but I could never convince them. Granted, I didn't think they'd be 4-8 bad.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I picked Ole Mi$$ to go 5-7. They exceeded my expectations. :biggrin:

BamaJama17

Hall of Fame
Sep 17, 2006
Hoover, AL
It's hard to say. There are so many 4 and 5 star underclassmen players sitting behind 4 and 5 star upperclassmen. Maybe a little bit but not too much.

Ole Man Dan

Hall of Fame
Apr 21, 2008
Gadsden, Al.
Defense next year may not equal this year's Defense, but it will be good enough...
If our Defense continues to be ball Hawks... Look out SEC.

I see a possibility of us having an outstanding Offense next year.
If Hurts, Harris, Jacobs and Bo improve as much as they already have we will contend again next year. This part of the Offense ought to free up some of our receivers...

TideMan09

Hall of Fame
Jan 17, 2009
Anniston, Alabama
It's hard to say. There are so many 4 and 5 star underclassmen players sitting behind 4 and 5 star upperclassmen. Maybe a little bit but not too much.
Exactly..Our 2nd & 3rd team Player's are as good as any starting D-Line in college football near bouts, they're just biding their time, cause there's only so much playing time for them to get while waiting their turn in the rotation..Once the Player's in front of them leaves, "The Process" will go on, in the same dominating way it has the last 8-10yrs under Coach Saban..

It's a fun time for us Bama Fans cause our D will continually be at the "Top Of The Hill" in college football as long as "The Process" continues to roll along on yearly NC Runs with our D being of our Football Program at Bama..

gtgilbert

All-American
Aug 12, 2011
I think Minkah is well respected enough to provide top defensive leadership. Jalen is well respected enough to provide it on the offensive side. Others should step up as well. We sure are losing a lot of leaders, but the guys behind them have picked up the slack in years past. With Jalen and Minkah having such business-like attitudes, there will probably be a calmer demeanor among next year's team if it turns out that they are the two most respected leaders, as I think will happen. I see the team coming into a focused, "just do your job", type of attitude.

I think we can rest easy that motivation and leadership will continue in much the same way as past leaders have passed the torch.
minkah is great, but I think what makes our best defenses tick is that there's a leader (or two) at every level or every position group. in 2011, we had Baron, Hightower, Upshaw and Square/Dial all setting the tone. This year it was clearly Allen, Foster and Ryan Anderson as the "savages" with Eddie guiding the back. In 14 it was Robinson/Reed, Ragland and Jones. Minkah can handle the back end part and I think we'll get a lot of leadership from Harrison also, but will SDH or Evans be an alpha in the middle? Who on the DL; Hand, Payne? Do we have an OLB who'll do what Upshaw and Anderson have done? Is Jennings that guy?

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.