What is wrong with Gator recuriting?

Redwood Forrest

Hall of Fame
Sep 19, 2003
Boaz, AL USA
Do any of you guys who follow recruiting closely have any idea why McElwain can't recruit so well? Florida is supposed to be at least a top ten recruiting school. So far his two classes have been #21 and #13. Currently Florida is #20.

CoolBreeze

Hall of Fame
Sep 18, 2002
Hoover
Do any of you guys who follow recruiting closely have any idea why McElwain can't recruit so well? Florida is supposed to be at least a top ten recruiting school. So far his two classes have been #21 and #13. Currently Florida is #20.
Agreed, very curious indeed. I mean, our coach does everything first class and emphasizes the details but the number one thing he did when he came to the Capstone is put us squarely in the sights of every top recruit in the area. Surely Coach Mac knows that. Maybe he needs to adjust his staff accordingly.

BAMAVILLE

Moderator (FB,BB,REC)
Staff member
Jan 9, 2014
Agreed, very curious indeed. I mean, our coach does everything first class and emphasizes the details but the number one thing he did when he came to the Capstone is put us squarely in the sights of every top recruit in the area. Surely Coach Mac knows that. Maybe he needs to adjust his staff accordingly.
I think the coaching/recruiting staff does play a part in in ... also its the fact he's behind the race in recruiting the top kids out of Florida right now. he's going against FSU, USF, Miami, Georgia, Auburn, LSU, Alabama, Clemson, and OSU right now for recruits. I'm just thinking they are not making the strides with recruits to say to them Florida is the place to play.

bodiddle

All-SEC
May 14, 2006
The state of Florida will be in the top three states every year in the number of top recruits. As the flagship university in the state, the University of Florida should by accident do better in recruiting than is being done.

TideWatcher

All-SEC
Dec 11, 2006
newton county, ms
Correct. He cannot stay if he doesn't pick up recruiting. Florida is a very easy school to recruit to relative to other schools. He has done a better job coaching than recruiting; better get him some recruiters quick.
The state of Florida will be in the top three states every year in the number of top recruits. As the flagship university in the state, the University of Florida should by accident do better in recruiting than is being done.

CrimsonForce

Hall of Fame
Dec 20, 2012
I've read that UF is far behind the other top programs in facilities and such. Wonder if that's starting to finally have an impact with recruits?

Last edited:

CoolBreeze

Hall of Fame
Sep 18, 2002
Hoover
I e read that UF is far behind the other top programs in facilities and such. Wonder if that's starting to finally have an impact with recruits?
Didn't think of that. Well, they need to get with the program. Coach has transformed us in 9 years facilities-wise that's for sure.

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
I've read that UF is far behind the other top programs in facilities and such. Wonder if that's starting to finally have an impact with recruits?
Think there's a reason Mac emphasizes the commitment Alabama gives Saban anytime he talks about Saban's success.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BamaInBham

All-American
Feb 14, 2007
McElwain has stated he does not like recruiting. My impression was that he meant recruiting SEC style and that he hated it. This was an interview, while at Bama, with his home state media and he volunteered the recruiting comments, which likely means that it was heavy on his mind. It's cutthroat and some are not cut out for it. Not surprised he appears to be struggling. The only way he can overcome it somewhat is through superior evaluation and development. That might give him success against the rest of the SEC, but will give him very little against Alabama. That means only UGA MAY (I seriously wonder about CKS) pose a real threat to Bama from the East. A&M and AU might provide an occasional threat every few years, but LSU is the only real consistent threat from the West and they have Coach Oeaux.

Last edited:

Moro Creek

All-SEC
Jan 21, 2014
Equine country
I went to the Florida Kentucky game this year and The Swamp looked like it could use a facelift. I think they are just now slated to build an indoor practice facility.

Redwood Forrest

Hall of Fame
Sep 19, 2003
Boaz, AL USA
I went to the Florida Kentucky game this year and The Swamp looked like it could use a facelift. I think they are just now slated to build an indoor practice facility.
The thought just hit me when I read the facelift part: Most recruits had rather go with a supermodel than a drab housewife.:) Bling vs dust cloth and mop.

Last edited:

CoolBreeze

Hall of Fame
Sep 18, 2002
Hoover
McElwain has stated he does not like recruiting. My impression was that he meant recruiting SEC style and that he hated it. This was an interview, while at Bama, with his home state media and he volunteered the recruiting comments, which likely means that it was heavy on his mind. It's cutthroat and some are not cut out for it. Not surprised he appears to be struggling. The only way he can overcome it somewhat is through superior evaluation and development. That might give him success against the rest of the SEC, but will give him very little against Alabama. That means only UGA MAY (I seriously wonder about CKS) pose a real threat to Bama from the East. A&M and AU might provide an occasional threat every few years, but LSU is the only real consistent threat from the West and they have Coach Oeaux.
Tell you what, the life blood of any program is recruiting. That is the key to Saban's success. You have to have good players. Urban knows it. Dabo is doing a great job at it. Mac will only have marginal success at UF if he does not learn the lesson that elite recruiting AND player development/coaching is the only way to solidify an elite program.

Redwood Forrest

Hall of Fame
Sep 19, 2003
Boaz, AL USA
Tell you what, the life blood of any program is recruiting. That is the key to Saban's success. You have to have good players. Urban knows it. Dabo is doing a great job at it. Mac will only have marginal success at UF if he does not learn the lesson that elite recruiting AND player development/coaching is the only way to solidify an elite program.
Absolutely true. I laugh when I see the media pumping up Houston and Louisville for the playoff. Hahaha. They do not have the talent to win back to back games against the Five and Four star teams.

Louisville has only recruited 10 four stars on their team and ZERO five stars in the past five years. Bama, OTH, has recruited 23 5's and 71 4's. Wow. What a difference. Ohio State and Clemson clearly have loads more talent that Louisville.

runtheoption22

News|BB|FB|REC Moderator
Staff member
Nov 10, 2003
Cleveland
I am of the opinion that UF should recruit itself, but for some reason, that is no longer happening. I think some of it may be because McElwain is just so darn nice- very "Florida dad" like (for those of you who don't know, that IS a thing in Florida). However, that may not be what some of these players want to play for- they need a "hook" it seems these days.

That said, with UFs current commitments and who they are currently in good with....it will be a disappointing class and UGA- on paper- will be much more talented.

CHATTBRIT

Hall of Fame
Dec 3, 2003
Falling Water, TN
I think CSN gets great recruiters in his staff as well as being former HC's. Certainly makes the recruiting picture a lot sunnier. Of course, CSN also loves to recruit.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.