Anyone Have Experience with Sling TV?

PacadermaTideUs

All-American
Dec 10, 2009
Navarre, FL
Post promotion you can call the provider and tell them you are cancelling and they'll lower your bill back to (or very close) to the original promotion. Customer acquisition is their biggest cost so they'll do almost anything to keep you..
We did that for a while. Eventually, I guess they decided they didn't want our business any longer, because they refused to lower. We payed their new rate for a few months until we'd had enough and cancelled service. We went without for a month until I set up Sling.

CrimsonForce

Hall of Fame
Dec 20, 2012
We did that for a while. Eventually, I guess they decided they didn't want our business any longer, because they refused to lower. We payed their new rate for a few months until we'd had enough and cancelled service. We went without for a month until I set up Sling.
Ah ok. I haven't run into that problem yet. If I do I'll probably switch to a streaming service. No way I'd pay the post promotion rate over a long period of time..

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
AT&T just stop giving you a better price to stay with them? Geez.

PacadermaTideUs

All-American
Dec 10, 2009
Navarre, FL
AT&T just stop giving you a better price to stay with them? Geez.
Yep. We started with them in 2011. This last spring, after working with us on pricing for 5 years, they refused. I'm not sure why. "This is our price. Take it or leave it." We took it for a couple more months. Then left it.

PacadermaTideUs

All-American
Dec 10, 2009
Navarre, FL
Could have something to do with the fact that we refused to pay for services not received.

There were periods, some up to a week or even two weeks when UVerse service was out. Half a month at times, and they would not credit us for those periods. We would still get the full bill for the entire month and we refused to pay it. As far as we were concerned, they didn't deliver the cable service that they were charging us for. So we wouldn't deliver the money that they were demanding in exchange for the service that they didn't provide. We only paid the pro-rated amount. Two weeks for two weeks received, etc. Their argument was that they still had to "maintain the port and the drop to our account", and that's what they were charging us for. Sorry - no dice. We had no service. So no money.

I guess we earned a "problem client" label. So they stopped working with us on pricing.

Last edited:

CrimsonForce

Hall of Fame
Dec 20, 2012
Could have something to do with the fact that we refused to pay for services not received.

There were periods, some up to a week or even two weeks when UVerse service was out. Half a month at times, and they would not credit us for those periods. We would still get the full bill for the entire month and we refused to pay it. As far as we were concerned, they didn't deliver the cable service that they were charging us for. So we wouldn't deliver the money that they were demanding in exchange for the service that they didn't provide. We only paid the pro-rated amount. Two weeks for two weeks received, etc. Their argument was that they still had to "maintain the port and the drop to our account", and that's what they were charging us for. Sorry - no dice. We had no service. So no money.

I guess we earned a "problem client" label. So they stopped working with us on pricing.
That's strange. Guess every customer service rep is different. I'm assuming you tried more than one rep? I just recently got the AT&T GigaPower internet. Mine was out for 2 days and they credited me for the 2 days no questions asked. Maybe it's because I'm a new account..

PacadermaTideUs

All-American
Dec 10, 2009
Navarre, FL
That's strange. Guess every customer service rep is different. I'm assuming you tried more than one rep? I just recently got the AT&T GigaPower internet. Mine was out for 2 days and they credited me for the 2 days no questions asked. Maybe it's because I'm a new account..
We went through several layers of supervision on the phone. Or at least that's what they were telling us. He could have just been handing the phone to his buddy in the next cubicle. Who knows. But the unpaid amount would roll over to the next bill, and we'd call them again and go through the same argument: "We're not paying for the two weeks of no-service." And it would roll over to the next bill and get compounded with every new outage. I don't know. Maybe they are saturated in this area and don't care if they lose a few clients who, in their minds, owe them money because they kept a port open, even if no data was flowing through it.

TheAccountant

All-SEC
Mar 22, 2011
Birmingham
I finally was able to talk my wife into letting me cut the cord and haven't back. We had Brighthouse/Charter who would negotiate a package but it was still much more than what we could stream for and most the channels we never watched as is. Granted, we were already paying for Netflix and Hulu, plus were Amazon Prime members, so cable was really the added cost to me. I purchased a $15 Amazon HD antenna and get 25 quality OTA channels in Birmingham and subscribed to Sling for $20 for the major cable channels with good programming (+$5 for SEC Net during football season).

I pay $45 all in for TV only services and haven't had a day yet where I wasn't able to watch a show I was interested in. And neither has my wife who was most concerned about giving up her DVR addiction.

PacadermaTideUs

All-American
Dec 10, 2009
Navarre, FL
I'm glad this thread came up - has caused me to look again at my package compared to what we watch, will watch. After football season's over, I'll probably turn off the sports package ($5) and the blue package ($20) and get my bill down to about $48/mo, including the three ESPNs (already on orange), HBO and The Epix/Sundance channels. Most everything we watch is in orange anyway and we rarely watch the blue channels. I'll restart the sports package next August for football season.

MattinBama

Hall of Fame
Jul 31, 2007
We went through several layers of supervision on the phone. Or at least that's what they were telling us. He could have just been handing the phone to his buddy in the next cubicle. Who knows. But the unpaid amount would roll over to the next bill, and we'd call them again and go through the same argument: "We're not paying for the two weeks of no-service." And it would roll over to the next bill and get compounded with every new outage. I don't know. Maybe they are saturated in this area and don't care if they lose a few clients who, in their minds, owe them money because they kept a port open, even if no data was flowing through it.
I had a fight with AT&T for years because they let a third party charge my landline for some service I had never used or asked for & were trying to make me work with that other company that you couldn't get in touch with.

I continued to pay just my bill & refused the rest. Years later I complained to the BBB and got them to finally back down even though the person was still trying to scold me for my actions while agreeing to remove the charges.

92tide

TideFans Legend
May 9, 2000
East Point, Ga, USA
I finally was able to talk my wife into letting me cut the cord and haven't back. We had Brighthouse/Charter who would negotiate a package but it was still much more than what we could stream for and most the channels we never watched as is. Granted, we were already paying for Netflix and Hulu, plus were Amazon Prime members, so cable was really the added cost to me. I purchased a $15 Amazon HD antenna and get 25 quality OTA channels in Birmingham and subscribed to Sling for $20 for the major cable channels with good programming (+$5 for SEC Net during football season).

I pay $45 all in for TV only services and haven't had a day yet where I wasn't able to watch a show I was interested in. And neither has my wife who was most concerned about giving up her DVR addiction.
is your hd antenna an indoor or outdoor antenna? this is the only thing we haven't done, because honestly we never watch broadcast channels and the only time i watch cbs is when bama is playing.

TheAccountant

All-SEC
Mar 22, 2011
Birmingham

Intl.Aperture

All-American
Aug 12, 2015
Chesapeake, Virginia
I've done Sling coupled with a digital antenna for a few years now. Sling has come a long way since it was first launched. I pay $25 a month for basic plus the added sports package which I turn off after college football season - so it's $20 for a majority of the year. We have good internet speed so I don't have problems with artifacting - not clear as a stream from Verizon or AT&T would be - but it's like most other streams at this point. I run it on an Amazon Firestick. It's all about how you use tv. I don't record or use the DVR that often so it doesn't matter to me - but they are working on expanding that option. They make a surprising amount of improvements and package expansions while maintaining the same price. I like it for our current lifestyle.

Jon

Hall of Fame
Feb 22, 2002
Atlanta 'Burbs
thanks. i may give that a try next season. i didn't realize until today that an indoor antenna was an option
grab a pair of old rabbit ears and see what you can get. I'm 30 milesish north of you and get 16/18 channels here depending on conditions with old rabbit ears. Many of the channels are useless but I do get them. you can go to antennaweb.org and it will show you based on zipcode or address exactly what you can get with what kind of antenna. For me it says I can get 4 channels so it appears to be overly conservative

92tide

TideFans Legend
May 9, 2000
East Point, Ga, USA
grab a pair of old rabbit ears and see what you can get. I'm 30 milesish north of you and get 16/18 channels here depending on conditions with old rabbit ears. Many of the channels are useless but I do get them. you can go to antennaweb.org and it will show you based on zipcode or address exactly what you can get with what kind of antenna. For me it says I can get 4 channels so it appears to be overly conservative
i used to have old ones laying around, but they didn't survive the great basement purge of 2016. our location should be good to go for all of the local channels according to that website

MattinBama

Hall of Fame
Jul 31, 2007
We get about 16 channels roughly 25 miles out from Montgomery using the white square RCA antenna. We actually recently tried a 50-mile rated antenna to see if things would come in a bit sharper/more consistent and it did worse than the little RCA one.

We were using an on the roof antenna that DirecTV put in before we cancelled but lightning got a hold of it and my previous tv.

CharminTide

Hall of Fame
Oct 23, 2005
So Comcast bumped my internet/TV bill by 40% and I finally cut the cord. An internet-only plan is still $80, but I'm saving over $100/month compared to my previous bill.

I'm taking both Hulu and SlingTV for test drives, and I'm liking Hulu a lot right now. Hulu's ads are annoying (you can't skip them on recordings unless you pay for the "premium" DVR service) and they don't offer the SEC Network yet, which will be an issue come Fall. But SlingTV and DirectTV Now do. If Sling improves their cloud DVR offering and DirectTV finally rolls theirs out, I'll consider switching. It's so nice to have that flexibility and not be tied into contracts or equipment.

Last edited:

crimsonaudio

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 9, 2002
crimsonaudio.net
they don't offer the SEC Network yet, which will be an issue come Fall. But SlingTV and DirectTV Now do. If Sling improves their cloud DVR offering and DirectTV finally rolls theirs out, I'll consider switching. It's so nice to have that flexibility and not be tied into contracts or equipment.
Make sure you watch some sports - especially something like football with lots of action on the screen - and make sure you don't see any compression artifacts. I've not tried all the services, but while my connection easily exceeds what's needed to stream HD at 60 FPS (several times over, in fact) I still haven't found a streaming service that wasn't visually degraded from cable.

I know I'm more sensitive to data compression artifacts than most, so it might not be an issue. Or these streaming services might have (rather drastically) improved.

CharminTide

Hall of Fame
Oct 23, 2005
Make sure you watch some sports - especially something like football with lots of action on the screen - and make sure you don't see any compression artifacts. I've not tried all the services, but while my connection easily exceeds what's needed to stream HD at 60 FPS (several times over, in fact) I still haven't found a streaming service that wasn't visually degraded from cable.

I know I'm more sensitive to data compression artifacts than most, so it might not be an issue. Or these streaming services might have (rather drastically) improved.
Yup, I plan to do that with some of the Olympic coverage. Not all services stream at 60FPS at the moment, but they all seem to be moving in that direction. I know from watching online streams of Bama games that the connection quality can be quite variable, but I haven't evaluated that yet.

Also, correction: Hulu does have the SEC Network. So far I'm liking their service the best, but it's still early.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.