Anyone Have Experience with Sling TV?

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
Was talking to some friends last night, and they mentioned how they only have Hulu and Sling TV along with their HD Antenna. I started looking into it today to see if we could cut our bill enough to make it worth it.

Anyone use Sling? Complaints? Praises?

Jon

Hall of Fame
Feb 22, 2002
Atlanta 'Burbs
Was talking to some friends last night, and they mentioned how they only have Hulu and Sling TV along with their HD Antenna. I started looking into it today to see if we could cut our bill enough to make it worth it.

Anyone use Sling? Complaints? Praises?
I tried it a few months back on a Roku TV and it was just ok, kind of counter intuitive interface and very limited DVR support. They've changed the DVR side recently but I haven't looked into it since. The good news is that with it, you can use the WatchEspn app for football games which works pretty well assuming you sign up for the package with espn.

You can also look into Playstation VUE as another cord cutting option but Sling is easy enough to get free for a week and try out. We are going to chose one or the other in January, as soon as football season is over

crimsonaudio

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 9, 2002
crimsonaudio.net
I tried it as an alternative to cable and despite our fast internet connection, the visual data compression artifacts compared to our cable was unacceptable to me. To be fair, most people aren't as critical as I am wrt visual artifacts, but I found it unacceptable.

MattinBama

Hall of Fame
Jul 31, 2007
It supposedly works well on tablets & some systems but on my Xbox One app it was terrible. I've had friends complain about the Xbox version & seen people online as well with similar problems.

CrimsonForce

Hall of Fame
Dec 20, 2012
I've looked into all the alternatives and there really isn't a way to "cut the cord" and not take a big hit on quality and options. It's not worth it to me to save a few dollars a month to have a grainy picture and no/limited DVR capabilities..

rolltide_21

Hall of Fame
Dec 9, 2007
NW AL
I have it during football season and then turn it off after the playoffs. That's what I like the most about it. No contract. I've had no problems with the connection and streaming. Also gives you access to the WatchESPN app if you would rather go that route. For me, I've only got a certain amount I'm willing to spend on TV (about $30-35). I had the Sling Orange with the sports and kids packages added. I was spending $29.99 per month. The only thing I didn't like about the Orange package was only being able to stream one device at a time. But there are options available so you don't have this problem. As far as sports are concerned, the lag is pretty bad. So if I'm in a game thread here often it's posted what happened before I see it. Overall I've been happy with Sling. It meets my needs but I'm not an entertainment junkie who needs a lot channels and the best HD.

92tide

TideFans Legend
May 9, 2000
East Point, Ga, USA
we "cut the cord" a few years ago. i was going to try sling, but i can't use it with apple tv, or couldn't as of this past july. i have super basic cable default with my comcast internet and i hook that up for cbs games [disregard] and i have a way to stream espn enough to watch the games[/disregard].

Relayer

Hall of Fame
Mar 25, 2001
I have a friend who tried it and said it was ok.

They offer a 7day free trial, so take the free ride and you'll know if it works for you.

MOAN

All-American
Aug 30, 2010
Swearengin, Alabama, United States
Saves me about $50 a month, chicken fee to many I know. Quality is getting better but your internet speed and sich is something to consider. You won't find 100% satisfaction with anything from everyone no matter what you got so try it out for yourself!! ;)

CaliforniaTide

All-American
Aug 9, 2006
Huntsville, AL
We've had Sling since Summer 2015. I only get 6 MBPS DSL Internet in my subdivision as it is the only option we have at the moment. If the network wasn't 100% loaded by other devices, it works really well. But overall, we do love it as we're only paying for channels that we watch the most anyways. We're paying $25/month for their standard lineup and the extra sports package which includes SEC Network. Are there buffering issues? Yes, but right now, I blame that on the slow Internet, and the fact that Internet comes into the house through our bedroom only, and the Wi-Fi signal has to go through several walls to get to our Roku stick on our TV. We're moving in the spring so I'm hoping that I'll have better Internet service at that point to fix that issue. We also use a military-grade TV antenna for the free channels. Overall, I love it, but I can definitely see where others would not like it at all. An additional plus (for me) on Sling is that you can also download the app onto your other devices so if you're traveling, or out and about, and you want to watch TV live, you have that option. Finally, since I signed up with Sling, they've added a lot more channel options to my lineup, but my monthly price hasn't changed at all. I do know that Sling was the only streaming service that didn't have any buffering/technology issues during the Alabama-Clemson national championship game so they seem to be able to manage all of it.

If we move, and Sling isn't the better option, at least it's no contract and we can make that change easily. Like I said, I do enjoy it, but I can see where others will not.

PacadermaTideUs

All-American
Dec 10, 2009
Navarre, FL
Been exclusively using Sling + Netflix + Hulu on a Roku 3 + HD antenna (for local channels) for about 4 or 5 months now and we absolutely love it. I can safely say that I'm so glad I cut the cord and am never going back to traditional cable/satellite service, unless they can get their pricing under better control. I get both the Orange and Blue packages, plus the Sports package (additional ESPN channels, ESPNU, SEC network, etc), the HBO package, and the Hollywood Extra package (all the Epix channels), and I pay about $73/mo.

I am certainly not as fine-tuned as CA in terms of audio/video quality (don't have any Grammys on my mantle), but I do consider myself fine-tuned compared to the average listener/viewer. And my standards are higher than the average person as well. Sometimes, (but very rarely), there is a minor cut from traditional HD in terms of visual artifacts. That is largely due to temporary severe slowing of ISP download speeds. I typically run at around 45-50 mbps download, and that's more than sufficient for quality HD over Sling. As I'm typing, I just ran a speed-test, and am right now only hitting about 5 mbps (Uggh! - I think the windy/stormy conditions across the southeast over the past 24hrs may be causing some regional issues), but am not noticing any issues with regard to my Sling service. Another consideration should be the quality of your wireless router. I don't care how fast your connection speed is to the house, if your router can only serve it to your device at a certain speed, that's your limiting factor.

Someone earlier mentioned that the ability to only view on one device at a time is a problem. That's true - it is. In our house, it's not, as my wife and I are generally viewing together, and the kids are mostly grown. We do have a 14yo still in the house, but he doesn't have a tv in his room and won't be viewing on any other devices. When it does become a problem is when we have grandkids in the house and my wife wants to put on Disney for them. Sling's Orange package is only single-stream (single device). Their Blue package is multi-stream (multi device). The only Sling channels that aren't currently available multi-stream are Disney, FreeForm (used to be ABC Family), and the ESPN suite (ESPN 1, ESPN 2, and ESPN 3). What that means is if the grandkids are watching some Disney show, I can't go somewhere else and watch ESPN. The workaround is that I also have the free WatchESPN app on the Roku, so I can just launch that and watch whatever I want, so long as it's not blacked out regionally (if it's available in my region as a live broadcast, it most likely will be blacked out on WatchESPN).

I personally love the interface. It's easy to see what's currently live, what will be live, and what's available on-demand, which is virtually everything. Since everything is streamed, it's coming from basically an online, on-demand library of programming. Almost every channel has almost every program available for on-demand playback. That's why lack of DVR capability isn't really an issue for me. Missed the show? Who cares - on-demand it. I've never had DVR capability anyway aside from the resident capability that came with ATT Uverse, which I used to pay enormous amounts for in order to get the channels I wanted and never watched the vast majority of the crap that came with it. I'll probably eventually get a DVR anyway and see what I can do with it in combination with the Roku/Sling service.

Anything I want to watch locally, including those SEC games of the week on CBS, I tune through the HD antenna, or if the reception is poor (the local CBS transmitter is 58.43 miles from my house), I use the $6/mo CBS All Access app on the Roku, which defaults to the CBS affiliate in Chicago. So far, CBS in Chicago has yet to not broadcast the SEC game of the week. I just need a decent Fox alternative, since there is no Fox channel on Sling, the local Fox transmitter is 56.59 miles away and is also often poor. The ABC and NBC transmitters are both close enough to get a great signal. Or maybe I'll break down and get a decent attic or outdoor antenna instead of the set-top I'm using. Then I cn cut the $6/mo CBS All Access app.

I'll put in a plug to the Roku 3 also, as the remote is handy, easy to use, has voice-search and an earphone jack in case you want to watch without disturbing anyone else.

My brother tried Playstation Vue and said it was unwatchable, due primarily to the interface. He cancelled that service and is now looking into Sling TV.

CrimsonForce

Hall of Fame
Dec 20, 2012
Been exclusively using Sling + Netflix + Hulu on a Roku 3 + HD antenna (for local channels) for about 4 or 5 months now and we absolutely love it. I can safely say that I'm so glad I cut the cord and am never going back to traditional cable/satellite service, unless they can get their pricing under better control. I get both the Orange and Blue packages, plus the Sports package (additional ESPN channels, ESPNU, SEC network, etc), the HBO package, and the Hollywood Extra package (all the Epix channels), and I pay about $73/mo.

I am certainly not as fine-tuned as CA in terms of audio/video quality (don't have any Grammys on my mantle), but I do consider myself fine-tuned compared to the average listener/viewer. And my standards are higher than the average person as well. Sometimes, (but very rarely), there is a minor cut from traditional HD in terms of visual artifacts. That is largely due to temporary severe slowing of ISP download speeds. I typically run at around 45-50 mbps download, and that's more than sufficient for quality HD over Sling. As I'm typing, I just ran a speed-test, and am right now only hitting about 5 mbps (Uggh! - I think the windy/stormy conditions across the southeast over the past 24hrs may be causing some regional issues), but am not noticing any issues with regard to my Sling service. Another consideration should be the quality of your wireless router. I don't care how fast your connection speed is to the house, if your router can only serve it to your device at a certain speed, that's your limiting factor.

Someone earlier mentioned that the ability to only view on one device at a time is a problem. That's true - it is. In our house, it's not, as my wife and I are generally viewing together, and the kids are mostly grown. We do have a 14yo still in the house, but he doesn't have a tv in his room and won't be viewing on any other devices. When it does become a problem is when we have grandkids in the house and my wife wants to put on Disney for them. Sling's Orange package is only single-stream (single device). Their Blue package is multi-stream (multi device). The only Sling channels that aren't currently available multi-stream are Disney, FreeForm (used to be ABC Family), and the ESPN suite (ESPN 1, ESPN 2, and ESPN 3). What that means is if the grandkids are watching some Disney show, I can't go somewhere else and watch ESPN. The workaround is that I also have the free WatchESPN app on the Roku, so I can just launch that and watch whatever I want, so long as it's not blacked out regionally (if it's available in my region as a live broadcast, it most likely will be blacked out on WatchESPN).

I personally love the interface. It's easy to see what's currently live, what will be live, and what's available on-demand, which is virtually everything. Since everything is streamed, it's coming from basically an online, on-demand library of programming. Almost every channel has almost every program available for on-demand playback. That's why lack of DVR capability isn't really an issue for me. Missed the show? Who cares - on-demand it. I've never had DVR capability anyway aside from the resident capability that came with ATT Uverse, which I used to pay enormous amounts for in order to get the channels I wanted and never watched the vast majority of the crap that came with it. I'll probably eventually get a DVR anyway and see what I can do with it in combination with the Roku/Sling service.

Anything I want to watch locally, including those SEC games of the week on CBS, I tune through the HD antenna, or if the reception is poor (the local CBS transmitter is 58.43 miles from my house), I use the $6/mo CBS All Access app on the Roku, which defaults to the CBS affiliate in Chicago. So far, CBS in Chicago has yet to not broadcast the SEC game of the week. I just need a decent Fox alternative, since there is no Fox channel on Sling, the local Fox transmitter is 56.59 miles away and is also often poor. The ABC and NBC transmitters are both close enough to get a great signal. Or maybe I'll break down and get a decent attic or outdoor antenna instead of the set-top I'm using. Then I cn cut the $6/mo CBS All Access app.

I'll put in a plug to the Roku 3 also, as the remote is handy, easy to use, has voice-search and an earphone jack in case you want to watch without disturbing anyone else.

My brother tried Playstation Vue and said it was unwatchable, due primarily to the interface. He cancelled that service and is now looking into Sling TV.
So you're paying $73/month for all your streaming services? This is why I'm hesitant to switch from what I have. I don't think it's really cheaper by the time you add all the extra sports packages and such. I have DIRECTV hooked up to 3 TVs. My bill over the past year has averaged ~$70. I have the HD DVR and can stream on mobile devices. There's not a streaming option I've seen that can compete with what I currently have. Now, Direct TV (as all providers do) will go up on the bill over time. I have to call at least once per year and basically threaten to cancel to have them lower my bill back down. That's about the biggest annoyance I have with their service..

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville

So you pay $73 a month for all of that while my Uverse TV is $70 a month with my promotion? No thanks.

PacadermaTideUs

All-American
Dec 10, 2009
Navarre, FL
So you pay $73 a month for all of that while my Uverse TV is $70 a month with my promotion? No thanks.
To get all that, plus a bunch of channels I didn't want but I had to take in order to get what I wanted, my UVerse was around $200/mo post-promotion. I'm saving about $130/mo over UVerse. They have cheaper plans. You can get Sling for as little as $20/mo. But of course you won't have the extra ESPNs, SECN, any movie channels, or any multi-streams. But to each his own.

Last edited:

CrimsonForce

Hall of Fame
Dec 20, 2012
To get all that, plus a bunch of channels I didn't want but I had to take in order to get what I wanted, my UVerse was around $200/mo post-promotion. I'm saving about $130/mo over UVerse. They have cheaper plans. You can get Sling for as little as $20/mo. But of course you won't have the extra ESPNs, SECN, any movie channels, or any multi-streams. But to each his own.
Post promotion you can call the provider and tell them you are cancelling and they'll lower your bill back to (or very close) to the original promotion. Customer acquisition is their biggest cost so they'll do almost anything to keep you..

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.