Mapping the growth of disability claims in America

• Bama Gymnastics @ NCAA Championship Semi-finals (ESPN2 | TONIGHT - 4/18 @ 8pm CT). We will have a game thread going in the Women's Sports board. Come join us!

Tidewater

Hall of Fame
Mar 15, 2003
Hooterville, Vir.
Oh, I'm with you. People there (and elsewhere) are treating Federal disability like it's "unemployment for life." Bad for the Federal budget, and I would argue, bad for the recipient, knowing he is living off the sweat of another man's brown. That is morally corrosive.

Displaced Bama Fan

Hall of Fame
Jun 5, 2000
Shiner, TX
Oh, I'm with you. People there (and elsewhere) are treating Federal disability like it's "unemployment for life." Bad for the Federal budget, and I would argue, bad for the recipient, knowing he is living off the sweat of another man's brown. That is morally corrosive.
Just one more thing that needs to be sliced from the budget.

Bamabuzzard

FB Moderator
Staff member
Aug 15, 2004
Where ever there's BBQ, Bourbon & Football
I'm glad you started this thread DBF. Yes, it has become the "white man's welfare" and it is just as inexcusable as people abusing welfare.

*My dad's brother (my uncle) got wind that his job POSSIBLY could be phased out within the next year. Possibly leaving him unemployed at 60 years old and still needing to work. One day at work he "hurt his back" while making a delivery and filed for disability. He went through all the processes needed to get disability. He called my dad after several months of getting checks bragging how nice it was to get that "mailbox money" while he hunted and fished all day. Daddy told him they weren't raised that way and he shouldn't have done that. His excuse was "I've been paying for all these other folks to sit on their...for all these years while I worked my fingers to the bone. It's time to get some of my money back. I don't feel one bit bad about it." So, for several years he did that until he was notified one day that his disability payments would be discontinued because they had pictures of him doing manual labor things that supposedly his doctor said he couldn't do. In other words he got caught. I also think he was required to pay back a % of the benefits he had received. He got several nasty letters in the mail from the insurance company.

*At the office last week a lady's husband come to take her to lunch. I know the guy and he dropped by my office to say "hey". He looked like his same old self. Nothing appeared to be wrong with the guy. He was walking fine, happy, energetic etc. After he brought his wife back from lunch she dropped by my office and ask if "Dan" had told me he was on disability and couldn't work anymore? I said "No, he never mentioned a thing. What happened to him?" She said he had an "accident" at work and "hurt his back" and wouldn't be able to go back to work. This guy's job, though in a warehouse, isn't considered heavy manual labor. He isn't required to lift or move heavy weighted items. I maybe completely wrong, but my guess is he's trying to get on the "white man's welfare" program as well.

Tidewater

Hall of Fame
Mar 15, 2003
Hooterville, Vir.
I'm glad you started this thread DBF. Yes, it has become the "white man's welfare" and it is just as inexcusable as people abusing welfare.

*My dad's brother (my uncle) got wind that his job POSSIBLY could be phased out within the next year. Possibly leaving him unemployed at 60 years old and still needing to work. One day at work he "hurt his back" while making a delivery and filed for disability. He went through all the processes needed to get disability. He called my dad after several months of getting checks bragging how nice it was to get that "mailbox money" while he hunted and fished all day. Daddy told him they weren't raised that way and he shouldn't have done that. His excuse was "I've been paying for all these other folks to sit on their...for all these years while I worked my fingers to the bone. It's time to get some of my money back. I don't feel one bit bad about it."
This is the morally corrosive effect I was speaking about. Your uncle knew whether he could work or not, and it appears he could work, but was happy to take other people's money to fish and hunt. There are clearly some people who are disabled, but this system rewards graft and corruption.
If your uncle was forced to accompany Federal law enforcement officer as the officer busted into his neighbor's house, pointed a gun at the neighbor's head and demanded money, which the officer then turned and gave your uncle, your uncle might not be so willing to take the money. The Federal system, however, gives recipients a nice, clean cut-out between them and the people paying for their graft. Perps never have to look their victims in the eye.

Bamabuzzard

FB Moderator
Staff member
Aug 15, 2004
This is the morally corrosive effect I was speaking about. Your uncle knew whether he could work or not, and it appears he could work, but was happy to take other people's money to fish and hunt. There are clearly some people who are disabled, but this system rewards graft and corruption.
If your uncle was forced to accompany Federal law enforcement officer as the officer busted into his neighbor's house, pointed a gun at the neighbor's head and demanded money, which the officer then turned and gave your uncle, your uncle might not be so willing to take the money. The Federal system, however, gives recipients a nice, clean cut-out between them and the people paying for their graft. Perps never have to look their victims in the eye.
In his mind he rationalized it by pointing to all the "dead beats" who were sucking off the system all those years he worked. He and my dad have worked since they were 10 years old. But like my dad told him "We weren't raised that way." Regardless of what other people do.

Displaced Bama Fan

Hall of Fame
Jun 5, 2000
Shiner, TX
In his mind he rationalized it by pointing to all the "dead beats" who were sucking off the system all those years he worked. He and my dad have worked since they were 10 years old. But like my dad told him "We weren't raised that way." Regardless of what other people do.
My in-laws did something similar when last hurricane hit near Mobile. They got a "free" generator the government was giving away because "they were going to get what they paid for."

SMH.

Bamabuzzard

FB Moderator
Staff member
Aug 15, 2004
My in-laws did something similar when last hurricane hit near Mobile. They got a "free" generator the government was giving away because "they were going to get what they paid for."

SMH.
My neighbor works for the state government in the maintenance division. Each week someone from their crew is designated to get up and go clock everyone in then go back to the house and sleep. No one above them says anything because they are enjoying perks in their position that they don't want taken away. All on the backs of tax payers' money. It's sickening.

Tide1986

Suspended
Nov 22, 2008
Birmingham, AL

bamachile

Hall of Fame
Jul 27, 2007
Oakdale, Louisiana
I know of a case close to me of an ongoing application due to fibromyalgia. Google that one if you like. The diagnosis is almost completely reliant on patient testimony - it's the holy grail of disability.

Somewhere, somehow, this needs to get fixed. As in neutered. Spayed. Made non-reproductive.

seebell

Hall of Fame
Mar 12, 2012
Gurley, Al
The problem is that the qualifying process is non-adversarial. The applicant can have a lawyer the government can not. The Judge has to remain impartial. Many lawyers making a living off disability claims. Some doctors too. Legal aide lady told me one time that just about everybody is approved on the third go round.

Someone who is 100% disabled can still make an extra $14000 a year without penalty. Gotta be a way to weed out the deadbeats while still helping the truly disabled.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.