Link: Christian McCaffrey Declines to Participate in Bowl Game

CrimsonForce

Hall of Fame
Dec 20, 2012
I think if a school is paying for the insurance policy (which they're allowed to do) then the player should play if healthy. If the school elects to not pay for the insurance policy then I have no issue with a star player like LF or McCaffrey sitting..

LA4Bama

All-SEC
Jan 5, 2015
Los Angeles, CA
Are you 100% certain that Allen wouldn't be sitting and McCaffrey playing if their team's positions were reversed?
The "meaningfulness" of the game has no impact on the potential draft stock or future earnings of either player. If it makes sense for McCaffrey to sit because he might lose money, then parity of reasoning requires it also makes sense for every player whose draft stock is already rock solid. The meaningfulness of the game is irrelevant to an individual's self-interest.

TampaTide813

Suspended
Dec 16, 2014
I understand the sentiments referencing teamwork, brotherhood, and obligations. However, I believe with college athletics, that is almost exclusively referenced when it comes to players. Had UH managed to sneak into the CFP, Herman would be their coach until they were eliminated. Had we dropped a few games and ended up in the Capital One Bowl, I seriously doubt CLK would still be our OC. These are guys with contractual obligations that are just as, if not more binding than scholarships. The only reason CLK is still around is the opportunity to pad his resume with another NC. He may talk about seeing things through with the team but he wouldn't do that for a lesser post season game and the vast majority of fans would understand. Also, the coaches that stay for the bowl can still work with their new employer at the same time (recruiting, hiring assistants, etc...). These players may have a lot they want to work on during this time to prepare for their future employer. Some of the coaching, facility use, training opportunities...etc cost money and many times they need to get this money through an agent. They may also have other pending financial obligations that they need to take care of. This is an additional month of amateurism that has very little upside for the player and a lot of risk.

If NFL GMs, who value a team first attitude, had a problem with this, I seriously doubt any of them would do it. I believe this is the reason that players won't start sitting out in earlier games (again, risk vs reward). Normally, the players that are high draft picks are known for their hard work and dedication to their sport and their team, I believe their fellow players understand the difficult decisions that these guys are making. While the team is important to these guys, I doubt it is more important to them than their families or their future.

Last edited:

KrAzY3

Hall of Fame
Jan 18, 2006
kraizy.art
Some of the coaching, facility use, training opportunities...etc cost money and many times they need to get this money through an agent. They may also have other pending financial obligations that they need to take care of. This is an additional month of amateurism that has very little upside for the player and a lot of risk.
None of this has anything to do with Christian though. So, nice point and all but Christian doesn't need any financial assistance at all! I guess people are really taking the chance to make their own points, and just kind of move past the facts of this situation. However, are we not talking about Christian McCaffrey, the guy with a rich dad and insurance protecting him against future losses quitting on his team?

TampaTide813

Suspended
Dec 16, 2014
The "meaningfulness" of the game has no impact on the potential draft stock or future earnings of either player. If it makes sense for McCaffrey to sit because he might lose money, then parity of reasoning requires it also makes sense for every player whose draft stock is already rock solid. The meaningfulness of the game is irrelevant to an individual's self-interest.
Correct, but the meaningfulness of the games to the team and university are not the same. We have seen many bowl games where one team seemed to not care. It is usually the team that had much higher aspirations for the season. The question becomes, do I risk injury to try and bring home the Meinecke Car Care trophy for my school vs do I risk it for the possibility of helping us win a national title. I'm sure the games and stakes matter for these guys.

Last edited:

TampaTide813

Suspended
Dec 16, 2014
None of this has anything to do with Christian though. So, nice point and all but Christian doesn't need any financial assistance at all! I guess people are really taking the chance to make their own points, and just kind of move past the facts of this situation. However, are we not talking about Christian McCaffrey, the guy with a rich dad and insurance protecting him against future losses quitting on his team?
Right, I was talking about sitting out in general, not McCaffrey specifically.

Lost in TN

1st Team
Sep 20, 2009
Collierville, TN
When I had to look up what Bowl Stanford is in, I answered my own question about how important the bowl was. When you are in position to earn a "generational changing NFL contract", you don't risk screwing it up for a Sun Bowl Trophy. Let's call it what it is, with the exception of the Playoffs, these are just glorified exhibitions.

LA4Bama

All-SEC
Jan 5, 2015
Los Angeles, CA
Correct, but the meaningfulness of the games to the team and university are not the same. We have seen many bowl games where one team seemed to not care. It is usually the team that had much higher aspirations for the season. The question becomes, do I risk injury to try and bring home the Meinecke Car Care trophy for my school vs do I risk it for the possibility of helping us win a national title. I'm sure the games and stakes matter for these guys.
I get your point, but I don't think what you are saying quite connects with what I was trying to say. I was responding to posts up the thread, and my point is just that there is something illogical in the way some are defending McCaffrey's decision.

Alasippi

Suspended
Aug 31, 2007
Ocean Springs, MS
Correct, but the meaningfulness of the games to the team and university are not the same. We have seen many bowl games where one team seemed to not care. It is usually the team that had much higher aspirations for the season. The question becomes, do I risk injury to try and bring home the Meinecke Car Care trophy for my school vs do I risk it or the possibility of helping us win a national title. I'm sure the games and stakes matter for these guys.
I think each player has to look at the circumstances as they pertain to him. It's kind of a touchy subject because there is indeed the team concept and everybody sticking together to bring home a win. But then, approximately 95% of these players are going to do something other than play in the NFL, so they don't face the same huge income risk as the NFL prospects do. To each his own as they say. I can only speak for me, and if I was an NFL prospect, I'd get an insurance policy and play my last game with the guys I'd been sharing blood, sweat, and tears with for the last three to four years. That is, unless, I was a running back and my coach suspended the entire offensive line for the bowl game. :)

cuda.1973

Hall of Fame
Dec 6, 2009
Allen, Texas

One could argue, that past a certain point, ALL of Stanford's games were irrelevant. Why not sit then?

Mystical

All-American
Sep 28, 2009
Fairhope, Alabama
Are you 100% certain that Allen wouldn't be sitting and McCaffrey playing if their team's positions were reversed?
Why would you speculate on J. Allen would quit on his team? If it were about the money he could have left last year. I know some are saying he only came back to increase his draft stock. To those, I say every interview I heard him in, he said he came back because he loves playing at Alabama. He is enjoying being one of the unquestioned leader on this team. Every mock draft I saw had him as a top 15 pick. Money wise he may have been better off leaving last year and get to his second contract faster. It's the second contract where they make the most money. I don't believe a player like J. Allen would have quit on his team even if we went to the citrus bowl. Look at that team that dismantled Michigan State. Not one of those guys talked about mailing it in. In fact they showed up in a big way. Jonathan Allen is one of my all time favorite players and I won't have his name associated with quitting even in speculation.

cuda.1973

Hall of Fame
Dec 6, 2009
Allen, Texas
By allowing highly ranked guys to sit out of the bowl game, it gives them the chance to stay healthy for the draft and it gives the coaches a chance to give younger guys some playing time in the bowl game to get ready for the next season.
Pardon the digression...................Good coaches do that every game. Which is why we still hear the "if Colt hadn't been hurt" BS, years after it happened. And why Coach February was a joke that is no longer coaching.

GrayTide

Hall of Fame
Nov 15, 2005
Greenbow, Alabama
It is time for my obligatory comments about too many bowl games with too many crappy teams. 40 bowl games this year. 80 bowl bound teams out of 128 FBS teams, sad commentary, but it is all about the money and getting participation trophies. College football is rapidly changing and IMO not for the better, so I will have to accept it and move on or quit watching. As for McCaffrey, Fournette and others, I don't care one way of the other whether they play; it is their decision, not the school's or the fan's. College football, in my opinion, is over exposed and over hyped.

KrAzY3

Hall of Fame
Jan 18, 2006
kraizy.art
I think one could have a lengthy discussion on the subject if you remove Christian from the discussion. We're talking about a rich kid who due to insurance, would have been set for life if he suffered a career ending injury during the bowl game. I don't see any way to view him other than as an entitled quitter. I mean, he never had to play football, he came from a rich family. He never had to play this season at all, he could have used the whole year to prepare for the NFL (but he wanted a Heisman for himself). He wants to pick and choose when to show up, and if I was considering him for the draft I'd think less of him for quitting.

That aside, I would reiterate that I'd like to see schools doing as much as possible to protect against the loss of future earnings. I think that's a good thing, and it is one of the things that schools can do to ensure their student athletes are taken care of. Overall though this issue is something I think some people want to kind of politicize. There's no question we've seen things going downhill. Missouri, Minnesota, players transferring mid-season, guys quitting before bowl games. This is not commendable behavior though, and I do lump it all together as selfish behavior.

Many of us here played team sports of some sort with 0 compensation. We did it because we wanted to. We did it because we wanted to be part of the team. These entitled jerks are bad for sports in general.
It is time for my obligatory comments about too many bowl games with too many crappy teams.
Yeah, I could head off in that direction to. We need less FBS programs, we need less bowl games, and that also could put these teams on a better path towards insuring the student athletes are well treated as well. As long as low budget operations like UAB are tagging along, the rules are going to worry more about leveling the playing field than the student athletes. I'd also reiterate my sentiments that 15 games are too much. Given the big picture I personally don't see how the playoff helps anything. It's one more game for student athletes, it's less importance for bowl games.

Last edited:

TitleWave

All-American
Dec 3, 2012
Maybe he'd play if the CFP was expanded to 16 teams.
Which, inexorably (no blue font here), will happen, as that "NFL Jr." bidness comes into clearer financial focus. Just lay that NFL playoff grid over the college postseason. The Power Five conferences will comprise 15 of those teams along with an interloper from amongst the "non-PF flyers." The bowl system will be dismantled - or transmogrified - into what?, getting your "participation medal," if it's not that already.

LA4Bama

All-SEC
Jan 5, 2015
Los Angeles, CA
One could argue, that past a certain point, ALL of Stanford's games were irrelevant. Why not sit then?
Well, I do not think we disagree. Like I said to Tampa, I was replying to up thread posts, and I was trying to separate two different issues that seemed to be getting combined without clarification. If money is all that matters, then meaningfulness wouldn't matter. If meaningfulness matters, then you can't reduce a decision to just money.

Bubbaloo

1st Team
Dec 8, 2015
He signed on with Stanford to play football and other stipulations. Stanford signed him on with the agreement he would do certain things and they would supply (pay) him certain things. These agreements form a contract.

If he has broken that contract and should refund the cost of his current scholarship benefits. This rule should apply to all that transfer out or quit prior to meeting the terms of their contracts. This applies as well to the University.

If his contract is up with Stanford they can go their separate ways.

CrimsonForce

Hall of Fame
Dec 20, 2012
He signed on with Stanford to play football and other stipulations. Stanford signed him on with the agreement he would do certain things and they would supply (pay) him certain things. These agreements form a contract.

If he has broken that contract and should refund the cost of his current scholarship benefits. This rule should apply to all that transfer out or quit prior to meeting the terms of their contracts. This applies as well to the University.

If his contract is up with Stanford they can go their separate ways.
Stanford was agreeable with his decision. A "contract" can be broken or amended if agreed to by both parties. Your comments make me think you've never signed a contract before. Almost all contracts have provisions in them that state the terms and/or conditions can be changed if agreed to by both parties in writing..

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.