Link: Christian McCaffrey Declines to Participate in Bowl Game

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
Well, I do not think we disagree. Like I said to Tampa, I was replying to up thread posts, and I was trying to separate two different issues that seemed to be getting combined without clarification. If money is all that matters, then meaningfulness wouldn't matter. If meaningfulness matters, then you can't reduce a decision to just money.
It is a combination of the two. As I asked before, what risk would you be willing to take in their shoes? Because the games are not equal, so the risk/reward is not the same.

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
He already has insurance... and a rich dad.

He still wanted to sit.
That is what makes the McCaffrey decision weird, and not like the others that we have seen in recent years. Of course, we think that his family is financially secure. Maybe they are not as secure as we believe. We don't know what we don't know.

BamaBrass

Suspended
Feb 14, 2004
Ringgold, GA
I heard an interesting take on this on Mike & Mike and I'm not sure I disagree with them. Basically, these bowl games serve no purpose now as they aren't playing for anything. Fournette, McCaffrey and others have literally millions of dollars riding on staying healthy for the combines, etc. One hit on a knee could jeopardize their NFL career. So, in essence, it's a business decision and it's hard to argue when millions of dollars are at stake.
So what if they blow out their knee while training? Not playing in a bowl game seems like a cop out to me.

Last edited:

crimsonaudio

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 9, 2002
crimsonaudio.net
I'll repost what someone said earlier in the thread and I'm out, as I've already stated that I consider him another quitter...

What about the majority of Stanford players that will never play a snap in the NFL and who will have to play their bowl game (last one, for a senior) without one of the team's most important players due to this act of selfishness?

Y'all can keep debating numbers, but the point above is why you don't quit your team.

Bamaro

TideFans Legend
Oct 19, 2001
Jacksonville, Md USA
Take out a $10 mil insurance policy for one game and finish your commitment to the university that got you where you are. Even if the worst happens you will be set for life and much better off than nearly all of your teammates who contributed too.

CapitalTider

All-American
Jun 8, 2004
Vienna, VA
Take out a $10 mil insurance policy for one game and finish your commitment to the university that got you where you are. Even if the worst happens you will be set for life and much better off than nearly all of your teammates who contributed too.
Frankly, you may be better off than a lot of drafted players. The $10M is tax free as long as the player pays the premiums. So a tax free lump sum of $10M versus losing some 40+% of each payment over the term of the contract. Even worse, what if the guy playing doesn't pan out and never gets another contract?

Is McCaffrey really expected to be that high of a pick? RBs are devalued now and he doesn't seem like an every down back in the NFL. How much risk would he really be taking? Frankly, if I were a GM this would be a red flag.

CajunCrimson

Moderator (FB,BB) and Vinyl Enthusiast
Staff member
Mar 13, 2001
Breaux Bridge, La
If he has done even one interview where he said that it's not about him, it's about the team....then he deserves to be blasted as strongly as possible.

Elefantman

Hall of Fame
Sep 18, 2007
R Can Saw
I don't like that he is quitting the team, but I can see why he would. In theory, the bowl games were suppose to be a reward for the players and McCaffrey doesn't want to participate in this "reward". He wants his reward to come next April in Philadelphia at the steps of the art museum. The ridiculous thing is the money difference between the 1st round draft and the other rounds. And year after year, the NFL has shown they have no clue who the best players are coming into the draft. How many 1st round players end up being a bust? We are dealing with the consequences of more NFL stupidity.

Matt0424

All-American
Jan 16, 2010
Hoover, Al
Why would you speculate on J. Allen would quit on his team? If it were about the money he could have left last year. I know some are saying he only came back to increase his draft stock. To those, I say every interview I heard him in, he said he came back because he loves playing at Alabama. He is enjoying being one of the unquestioned leader on this team. Every mock draft I saw had him as a top 15 pick. Money wise he may have been better off leaving last year and get to his second contract faster. It's the second contract where they make the most money. I don't believe a player like J. Allen would have quit on his team even if we went to the citrus bowl. Look at that team that dismantled Michigan State. Not one of those guys talked about mailing it in. In fact they showed up in a big way. Jonathan Allen is one of my all time favorite players and I won't have his name associated with quitting even in speculation.
Nope..

He was behind Robinson and Reed on pretty much every draft board, and they fell to the second round. He would have been late 2nd early 3rd round.

Staying another year made him over $20 million. He was advised well.
He signed on with Stanford to play football and other stipulations. Stanford signed him on with the agreement he would do certain things and they would supply (pay) him certain things. These agreements form a contract.

If he has broken that contract and should refund the cost of his current scholarship benefits. This rule should apply to all that transfer out or quit prior to meeting the terms of their contracts. This applies as well to the University.

If his contract is up with Stanford they can go their separate ways.
This is above and beyond his commitment, this is an exhibition game. It's pretty meaningless.
I can't say for sure, but I don't think these insurance companies do that large of policies. Most are between $900k- $1.5M. As someone expected to go late first round, and injury could cost him upwards of 8 figures. That insurance policy will never make that up.

I personally wouldn't do this, but I'm not faulting a kid playing in a worthless bowl for protecting his best interest. Everyone complains about letting down teammates, but they aren't paying for your future either.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

bamabelle1991

All-American
Jan 1, 2009
South Alabama
Nope..

He was behind Robinson and Reed on pretty much every draft board, and they fell to the second round. He would have been late 2nd early 3rd round.

Staying another year made him over $20 million. He was advised well.

This is above and beyond his commitment, this is an exhibition game. It's pretty meaningless.

I can't say for sure, but I don't think these insurance companies do that large of policies. Most are between $900k- $1.5M. As someone expected to go late first round, and injury could cost him upwards of 8 figures. That insurance policy will never make that up.

I personally wouldn't do this, but I'm not faulting a kid playing in a worthless bowl for protecting his best interest. Everyone complains about letting down teammates, but they aren't paying for your future either.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk
Lloyds of London will go as high as you can afford. There are supermodels who have their legs insured for 8 figures.

Leonard Fournette has 2 policies worth $10 million each. One for injury and one in case he doesn't go as high in the draft as projected. http://www.cbssports.com/college-fo...d-the-unregulated-world-of-player-protection/

BamaInMo1

All-American
Oct 27, 2006
Cumming, GA
I'm all for "The Team" but the team ain't gonna make up for millions (and possibly a lost career) lost if a star player gets injured in a meaningless bowl game. As it as already been stated on this board as well as other boards, these bowl games are truly meaningless to players who expect to go high in the draft already. About the only thing these bowls are good for is getting some extra practice for next years team.
It's all fine and good for us to sit on here and judge someone over this. None of us have ever been faced with this kind of decision. None of us have to ask ourselves "do I sit this game out because it's not going to help my draft status any if I play but If I get hurt I lose millions or do I play this one last time and take a chance for the team even though it means squat if the team wins or loses?".
People on here talk of quitting teams. How many on here have left one job to go to another and quit the team you were on at work for the betterment of you/your family? And you don't bat an eye about it. Coaches quit and don't coach in the bowl games and we talk about what a good decision that coach made and how much more money he's gonna make.
Bottom line is that it is a business decision for these young men. A business decision that's potentially worth millions for kids who come up from nothing. Now they get enough money to help themselves and their families and we want to dog them for it.

rgw

Suspended
Sep 15, 2003
Tuscaloosa
Coaches do this all the time when they have a better opportunity availed to them. I'm not going to fault the coach if their team is in an exhibition. I'm not going to fault the player either. It is a problem when coaches and players dip out before playoff games...too many bowls, the player apathy for taking more hits is just a symptom of these exhibitions having far less value now.

BamaHoosier

All-American
Jan 17, 2011
Noblesville Indiana
So is playing a down in the NFL. Even more so. You realize most NFL players don't have guaranteed money right?
I do realize that, but the signing bonuses are, and surely you realize the difference in signing bonus a healthy 1st rounder can be due vs an injured 5th rounder.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.