Link: Christian McCaffrey Declines to Participate in Bowl Game

Relayer

Hall of Fame
Mar 25, 2001
I don't blame the guy if he doesn't want to play in the game.

Is sitting this one out good for the college game? No. But, that's for the college game to figure out. He's given plenty of blood sweat and tears to good ole Stanford and they have both benefitted from it, tremendously.

Yes, he has insurance for what sounds like huge bucks to you and me. But, obviously, what he wants is to play professional ball where he has the chance to earn fame, glory, and really big bucks. He doesn't want to risk a serious injury in one last college game, with nothing really on the line but big corporate sponsorship bucks.

Sure, he could get injured immediately after he turns pro, but so what? That's just really no argument against skipping the bowl game.

I'm not crazy about it, and I don't know what the college football world will try to do about the situation, in general, but I'm also not going to criticize him because he doesn't want to go out and win one (basically meaningless game) for the Gipper.

Crimson1967

Hall of Fame
Nov 22, 2011
Most bowl games were meaningless before the BCS and playoffs. Not sure why this is suddenly a concern.

I have never described a championship as mythical but the term may come from the fact it is not endorsed by the NCAA.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

bamanut_aj

Hall of Fame
Jul 31, 2000
Spring Hill, TN
If anyone still believes that the regular season doesn't matter in the NFL because of the playoffs, I invite you to turn on your television today until the teams playing for a playoff spot, that the regular season doesn't matter.

Elefantman

Hall of Fame
Sep 18, 2007
R Can Saw
I just love the hypocrisy of someone choosing not to play football because he's afraid playing football will affect his ability to play football...
How ironic it would be if he injured his knee playing basketball in the driveway with family and friends the day of the bowl game. He better stay in bed that day, karma can be a real you know what.

dooger

Suspended
Dec 4, 2016
Most bowl games were meaningless before the BCS and playoffs. Not sure why this is suddenly a concern.

I have never described a championship as mythical but the term may come from the fact it is not endorsed by the NCAA.

The meaningless part of this scenario is the players commitment to the institution and team. The school should have some recourse against the player for refusing to participate. Otherwise, why have bowl games at all? Why exclude those player who choose not to participate to star players?What if there are others who prefer not to play because the game, in their minds, is meaningless? This is a slippery slope.

Isaiah 63:1

All-American
Dec 8, 2005
Probably at 35k or in an airport somewhere
If anyone still believes that the regular season doesn't matter in the NFL because of the playoffs, I invite you to turn on your television today until the teams playing for a playoff spot, that the regular season doesn't matter.

This analogy does not hold. As of this morning, at least 9 of 12 NFL playoff teams will have lost a minimum of four (or 1/4) of their regular season games. Lose just two games in CFB, and you're out of the playoff this year.

The NFL regular season may matter, but very rarely does any one game (or even two games) the way we see in CFB practically every week.

Last edited:

bamanut_aj

Hall of Fame
Jul 31, 2000
Spring Hill, TN
I DO get that it's possible, and crappy, for a 9-7 to win the Super Bowl.

BUT, the last 3-ish weekends of the NFL ARE exciting, due to teams (a) trying to get in (b) tying to win Division, and (c) trying to secure home field.

I'll reiterate that I preferred the BCS, but here we are. The CFP isn't going away. And with that, there will still be exciting and meaningful football.

bamanut_aj

Hall of Fame
Jul 31, 2000
Spring Hill, TN
This analogy does not hold. As of this morning, at least 9 of 12 NFL playoff teams will have lost a minimum of four (or 1/4) of their regular season games. Lose just two games in CFB, and you're out of the playoff this year.

The NFL regular season may matter, but very rarely does any one game (or even two games) the way we see in CFB practically every week.

And if CFB will keep the playoffs small, the regular season will STILL matter significantly

KrAzY3

Hall of Fame
Jan 18, 2006
kraizy.art
I think you're getting into the difference between meaning less and meaningless.

The NFL regular season games mean less. It doesn't mean they are entirely meaningless.

bamanut_aj

Hall of Fame
Jul 31, 2000
Spring Hill, TN
I think you're getting into the difference between meaning less and meaningless.

The NFL regular season games mean less. It doesn't mean they are entirely meaningless.
They do mean 'less', and the number of playoff teams makes that so.

With CFB, if you were to make the 'ratio' of teams : teams that make the playoff equal to the NFL, there would a +\- 40 team play, which is obviously silly.

If CFB keeps the playoffs 6-8, I don't think you devalue the regular season.

crimsonaudio

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 9, 2002
crimsonaudio.net
If CFB keeps the playoffs 6-8, I don't think you devalue the regular season.
Well, we may be splitting hairs here, but unless there are regularly 6-8 undefeated & one-loss teams, then it certainly does devalue the regular season. Right now two losses means a team is essentially eliminated - according to the last CFP rankings, if we went to an 8 team playoff, you would add three two-loss teams and one three-loss team.

That changes things quite a bit. Four teams is the sweet spot if a playoff has to exist.

bamanut_aj

Hall of Fame
Jul 31, 2000
Spring Hill, TN
Well, we may be splitting hairs here, but unless there are regularly 6-8 undefeated & one-loss teams, then it certainly does devalue the regular season. Right now two losses means a team is essentially eliminated - according to the last CFP rankings, if we went to an 8 team playoff, you would add three two-loss teams and one three-loss team.

That changes things quite a bit. Four teams is the sweet spot if a playoff has to exist.
I'm on board with up to 6. Rare is the season where more than 3 or 4 could say 'hey look at us. We deserve a shot."

dooger

Suspended
Dec 4, 2016
This notion of not "allowing" the players to sit out is ridiculous. These players make risk/reward decisions about their futures while they are still in high school. As a 5* recruit, they can go to a school like Alabama or tOSU to compete for playing time while getting the best football training and a chance to win the NC. Conversely, they can go to KY, start every game for 3 years and possibly get the attention of NFL scouts. They may be asked to play a different position and choose not to. They may choose to transfer after a year or two to get the opportunity to play. They may go the Clarrett route and sue the NFL.

Either way, they make a decision (right or wrong) to try and give themselves the best opportunity for success. This includes injury prevention. There was a player on the west coast that sat out his entire jr year to get ready for the draft. I don't know how that worked out for him, but it was his decision. There is nothing that can be done (short of kidnapping and corporal punishment) to stop it.

A school wants to charge him for his last year of school, he won't care, he thinks he's about to be rich anyway. I don't think they could do that anyway, as it isn't a salary. Doing so would also hurt future recruiting efforts. The decision is the player's to make. They have to live with the consequences/enjoy the rewards. The NFL GMs may not think so highly of their team loyalty or may praise their rational decision making. Their college teammates may support them or reject them. Heck, they could break their leg in a wreck driving to the bowl game instead of riding the team bus. The fans will definitely be upset, but if those are the risks they are willing to take, so be it.
Take away the scholarship if the player "refuses" to participate for fear of injury or is "not allowed" to sit out. I don't see the logic in providing a scholarship for a player who will not participate at any given time, except for legitimate injury. This is stupid!!

That would be an ugly sight if we start letting two loss teams in let alone three.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro[emoji208]

AJDawg

Dec 7, 2016
Your Opinions on This

Sorry if you guys have already discussed this.

Was just curious to what your opinion was on the fact that two prominent RB's, McCaffrey and Fournette (who you've had experience with), are both skipping their bowl games.

I think this really sucks. Fans pay for college FB as entertainment and part of that is watching stars play. Those two RB's certainly qualify. I understand the injury issue and the enormous $$$ involved if you get hurt. But seriously ---- A.) Can't you buy an insurance policy for this type of thing? and B.) This, IMO if allowed to continue, will be the end of college FB as we know it.

I read something the other day about some members of Alabama's defense ---- SR or JR members who are NFL ready --- what would happen if they decided to sit out the Peach Bowl????? Can you imagine that? I dunno' - maybe I'm just old-fashioned.

Any opinions on this?

crimsonaudio

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 9, 2002
crimsonaudio.net
Re: Your Opinions on This

Also, "Your Opinions on This" is a quintessential teaser title - if a reader cannot discern what the thread is about from the thread title alone, it is not allowed here. We have people who read these threads from all over, some from places with little connectivity (dial-up or similar) - teaser titles are an annoyance for any of us, can be very frustrating for people with very slow connections.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.