Pick the score: Washington vs. Alabama

huskylawyer

Scout Team
Dec 4, 2016
Seattle
If you are even remotely comparing Stanford's defense to our defense then you have not seen one single play of our team play and I am beginning to believe that with a post like this. You are in for a real big reality check on NYE.
We aren't scoring 44 versus Bama, but if any team is gonna put up points on Bama, Washington has to be the discussion. We are one of the nations leaders in turnovers and turnover margin (which tends to lead to points), we have the best WR in college football (others might get the headlines, but Ross is a beast), we have two NFL running backs (neither has fumbled all year), and Pettis is one of the top punt returners in football (5 TDs and a bunch of yards the past 2 years, tops in football).

Again, we aren't scoring 44. But who would? If you had to pick a few teams that MIGHT be able to pull it off, UDUB would be one of those team.

As for USC, it happens. They surprised us and we couldn't recover. You guys had a fist fight with Ole Miss, and though we hope to learn from that game, the points Kelly and Co put up are an abberration, not the norm. Likewise, the USC game was an aberration for us. I wouldn't read too much into it. At the end of the day, a future #1 pick (Darnold) had his way with us, and it caught us off guard.

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
We aren't scoring 44 versus Bama, but if any team is gonna put up points on Bama, Washington has to be the discussion. We are one of the nations leaders in turnovers and turnover margin (which tends to lead to points), we have the best WR in college football (others might get the headlines, but Ross is a beast), we have two NFL running backs (neither has fumbled all year), and Pettis is one of the top punt returners in football (5 TDs and a bunch of yards the past 2 years, tops in football).

Again, we aren't scoring 44. But who would? If you had to pick a few teams that MIGHT be able to pull it off, UDUB would be one of those team.

As for USC, it happens. They surprised us and we couldn't recover. You guys had a fist fight with Ole Miss, and though we hope to learn from that game, the points Kelly and Co put up are an abberration, not the norm. Likewise, the USC game was an aberration for us. I wouldn't read too much into it. At the end of the day, a future #1 pick (Darnold) had his way with us, and it caught us off guard.
I've already posted this in another thread, but I'll do it again. Sagarin and SBNation say Alabama played a tougher schedule.

Alabama's offense averaged 16.92 more points than its opponents averaged giving up in their other games while Alabama held those opponents to 21.91 points below their averages.

Washington, OTOH, averaged 13.72 more points than its opponents averaged giving up while holding its opponents to 14.3 points less than their average.

Tougher schedule goes to the team that still has the better numbers. I don't care how good John Ross and Jake Browning are. They are going to have to play the game of their lives to score 35+ against Alabama or Alabama is going to have to have an unbelievable amount of turnovers.

BTW, you want to talk punt returns? JK Scott is every bit as good as the guy from Utah, but doesn't qualify for the individual punt rankings because he hasn't punted 3.6 times per game.

teamplayer

Hall of Fame
Jul 31, 2001
cullman, al, usa
There's a problem with that. By the time they played Ole Miss, Ole Miss looked like The Replacements. Everybody was out.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro[emoji208]
Many would say USC was much better when they played, which is why direct comparison of results doesn't always provide reliable information. Anyway, the other part of my post listed why I tend to pick conservatively.

rgw

Suspended
Sep 15, 2003
Tuscaloosa
USC got better but so did we...probably a closer game if played today but there were some core deficiencies with their team that I think would still result in a double-digit Bama victory.

GreatDanish

Hall of Fame
Nov 22, 2005
TN
I usually do a simulation and predictive model to get an idea before bowl games but I haven't had time to do that this year.

Based on what I've seen, I fully expect Washington to give us fits. They have legit players at every level - Browning is a good QB, John Ross is a good WR, Elijah Qualls, Budda Baker, and Sidney Jones are all good defenders. And Petersen is definitely a great coach.

I expect the 4th quarter to begin with the outcome still in question (say, Bama 24, UW 21), but we'll pull away late - our depth is just so much greater. I'll say Bama 41, Washington 28.

dooger

Suspended
Dec 4, 2016
I usually do a simulation and predictive model to get an idea before bowl games but I haven't had time to do that this year. Based on what I've seen, I fully expect Washington to give us fits. They have legit players at every level - Browning is a good QB, John Ross is a good WR, Elijah Qualls, Budda Baker, and Sidney Jones are all good defenders. And Petersen is definitely a great coach. I expect the 4th quarter to begin with the outcome still in question (say, Bama 24, UW 21), but we'll pull away late - our depth is just so much greater. I'll say Bama 41, Washington 28.
44-26 Bama!! This may be a bit like the Ole Miss, '16 game for a while. I still think Bama's offense is suspect and WU can throw better than any of Bama's opponents. I also think Bama FG kicking is not very good.I hope it's a Happy New Year for Bama!!

NationalTitles18

TideFans Legend
May 25, 2003
Mountainous Northern California
38-19 Bama, prediction subject to change since we are so early
And I am now changing my official prediction:Alabama Crimson Tide: 38Washington Huskies: 6Alabama easily wins the trenches. Washington has no answer for the physical play of Alabama. Washington has a tough time running the ball and nearly as tough a time passing. They get close enough for a FG at least twice. If that occurs early enough they get FG's out of it. Too late, and count a goose egg as FG's won't matter at that point. Alabama runs the ball with impunity and hits on a few passes. Nine days ago I thought the Huskies might make a game of it. Now I think it might be close for a quarter. Might. If Bama turns the ball over too often it might change things. Washington had best hope for that because otherwise it might get ugly.

BamaGreek

All-American
Jan 6, 2007
Brentwood, TN
I won't pick a score but I hope Bama beats those Huskies by 50! The more I see and hear from some of their fan base the less I respect them. Anyway Roll Tide Roll!

bamacpa

All-American
Jul 19, 2006
My take is based on seeing plays to be made against our secondary consistently through the year. Most of those plays didn't get made because we faced poor quarterbacks. I'm not saying our secondary is sub par, but I don't think it's invincible either. Washington has a very good QB and some real talent at receiver. I think they can convert that into points.

I also think this is a down year for the SEC, and the aura of invincibility around us is perhaps a tad inflated.
Maybe I'm missing something here, but how can a team that could barely score 13 on USC's defense manage to score 24 or more points against Bama's. Please help me out.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro[emoji208]

My take is based on seeing plays to be made against our secondary consistently through the year. Most of those plays didn't get made because we faced poor quarterbacks. I'm not saying our secondary is sub par, but I don't think it's invincible either. Washington has a very good QB and some real talent at receiver. I think they can convert that into points.

I also think this is a down year for the SEC, and the aura of invincibility around us is perhaps a tad inflated.
Well, they got 7. If we played 10 more qtrs they'll get to 24.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.