News Article: Derrick Henry Tells Biggest Fear While at Tuscaloosa (link)

PitMaster

Suspended
Aug 24, 2015
"My single biggest fear every day was that I did not want to be the guy who caused the winning to stop," Henry says. Standing along that same Georgia Dome sideline watching his former Tide teammates, he is straight-faced serious. He recalls his freshman year in 2013, joining the team as it came off consecutive BCS national championships and its third in four years. One year removed from high school, he carried the football just 36 times. Upperclassmen incessantly reminded him of his responsibilities.

So did his phone. "It was blowing up all the time with texts and calls from former Alabama players," Henry says. "'You better listen to the coaches, you better keep this going, you better stick with the Process.' I didn't even know these guys. But now I do the same thing. I'll be doing it here tonight."

Elefantman

Hall of Fame
Sep 18, 2007
R Can Saw
Some great quotes:

Either you're on board with the Process or you aren't. Not on board? Enjoy your time playing elsewhere. If you are, we'll need your ring size.
That's code for "Why yes, at Alabama we love five-star athletes. But only the ones who can hack it."

BamaMoon

Hall of Fame
Apr 1, 2004
Boone, NC
It also says to all those recruits out there, if they haven't figured it out yet, that CNS and his process, when followed by those who trust in it, yields the highest rewards in college football.

theBIGyowski

All-American
Aug 4, 2005
Cumming, GA
It's incredible what some coaches are able to do with the young talent. It really goes to show you how important all the preparation is for each game...the things we fans never really get to see. You can tell the truly great coaches from the average ones as well when looking at how they can coach up the young guys. Michigan State struggled without a roster full of seniors. Reminds me of us back in 2006. 2005 was a great year because we had a ton of senior leaders on the team, but when they left, so did the Ws. Coach Saban and his staff know how to get underclassmen to think like seniors on and off the field. I've never seen anything like it.

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
I read that yesterday. I did not realize that so many ex-players reached out to current players with a emphasis on keeping them focused on game preparation leading up to these games. That has to help.

mrusso

1st Team
Apr 17, 2006
Love this section of the article...

"Either you're on board with the Process or you aren't. Not on board? Enjoy your time playing elsewhere. If you are, we'll need your ring size."

RJ YellowHammer

Hall of Fame
Sep 1, 2009
Memphis, Tn
I read that yesterday. I did not realize that so many ex-players reached out to current players with a emphasis on keeping them focused on game preparation leading up to these games. That has to help.
When people talk about a "winning culture," this is part of it. Success can breed success.

It's really cool to hear how much it matters. In CNS parlance, this is the good external pressure.

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
When people talk about a "winning culture," this is part of it. Success can breed success.

It's really cool to hear how much it matters. In CNS parlance, this is the good external pressure.
Yeah, I remember the players from Miami saying the same thing. They didn't want to be the team that broke the chain - the weak link. They also got a lot of pressure from previous players to keep it going.

bigjue24

Suspended
Dec 2, 2009
Okeechobee, FL
Former players are constantly on the sidelines and at practice. AL.com's practice reports frequently mention former player so and so was at practice today. They show up for bowl games, and are welcomed around the program. I remember CNS mentioning how they have former players around all the time. It was in response to a question about the atmosphere of the program. He was trying to show that it was a quality atmosphere that former players want to come back to, and not some football factory like it is presented by some in the media and other fan bases.

Go Bama

Hall of Fame
Dec 6, 2009
16outa17essee
Great article except for the fact that they mention twice that Bama's recruiting class finished 2nd last year. ESPN, you can be irritating.

Other than that I did enjoy the article. Especially, "either you're on board with the Process or you aren't. Not on board? Enjoy your time playing elsewhere. If you are, we'll need your ring size."

BamaMoon

Hall of Fame
Apr 1, 2004
Boone, NC
So if you're scoring at home -- and recruits are -- then three of this year's best four teams were also among its youngest, somehow surviving one of the most unpredictable regular seasons in recent memory. The holdout is Washington. The Pac-12 champ ranked fourth in its conference and 43rd overall in experience, with only four returning senior starters but a whopping 80 percent of the roster having already played enough to earn a varsity letter.
Poor Auburn...that young excuse just doesn't work.

45longcolt

All-SEC
Dec 30, 2007
Warrior 35180
Great article except for the fact that they mention twice that Bama's recruiting class finished 2nd last year. ESPN, you can be irritating.

Other than that I did enjoy the article. Especially, "either you're on board with the Process or you aren't. Not on board? Enjoy your time playing elsewhere. If you are, we'll need your ring size."
That's odd as i don't remember it that way. We were ranked 1ST by Rivals and they know a H--- of a lot more than ESPN.:BigA::BigA::BigA:

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.