starting linebackers next season

CrimsonEyeshade

Hall of Fame
Nov 6, 2007
Saw that Dylan Moses announced he would wear #7. What does that tell us about Trevon Diggs role with the team? New number for him or offense?
If TD stays on offense, he can keep his no. 7. Duplicate numbers are OK as along as the players are not on the field at the same time.

gtgilbert

All-American
Aug 12, 2011
I'm pretty sure Diggs has settled in at WR and could be a starter next year. We are not short of LB talent. The combination of Foster/Williams/Anderson is special though. Not sure if we will see a combo so deadly for a while.

We've had some amazing lb corps recently. Mcclain, Hightower, upshaw. Hightower, upshaw, mosely. The talent is on campus to keep this trend going if the players can keep the attitude and leadership.

rgw

Suspended
Sep 15, 2003
Tuscaloosa
I think there is a possibility that Evans moves to JLB or SLB next year if Davis or Wilson step up.

gtgilbert

All-American
Aug 12, 2011
I think there is a possibility that Evans moves to JLB or SLB next year if Davis or Wilson step up.
See my earlier post. Evans doesn't have the bulk to play jlb unless we change the scheme and responsibilities. SLB would be a waste of his talent since that position almost never sees the field because it is the sub position for the star. I stopped keeping track after 5 games this season, but the SLB playing in the 3-4 was only used between 4 to 5 plays a game.

If he doesn't win a starting spot inside, he'll be a rusher in the dime package and a part time sub in certain down distance situations where we are expecting a pass, but staying in nickel due to the offensive personnel

rgw

Suspended
Sep 15, 2003
Tuscaloosa
Ryan Anderson is technically the Sam backer but he's on the build quite a bit in nickel...but with his hand in the dirt. Evans isn't smaller than Tim Williams...lets be real.

gtgilbert

All-American
Aug 12, 2011
Ryan Anderson is technically the Sam backer but he's on the build quite a bit in nickel...but with his hand in the dirt. Evans isn't smaller than Tim Williams...lets be real.
maybe Anderson is the starting SAM, but he's also the starting JLB then - regardless - he's the #1 OLB that has the biggest role in the most packages. A. Jennings is the starting Sam for the few times we run the 3-4, and in goal line packages, with Anderson being the other OLB. Point being most of the time, we play with only one OLB on the field at a time. Williams is a backup in both the base 3-4 and the nickel groupings and his starting role is in the dime rush package with Anderson being the other guy on the edge.

You're thinking the old Williams of his early years. One reason he came back was to add more bulk and prove he could still be explosive with the extra weight. The old Williams wasn't considered to be a 3 down player. Williams is now 250+ and is able to play in rotation very well in the nickel package. Evans is only 230. Huge difference. They're not even close to the same size. Evans is much faster however.

As you mentioned, in our most common package, the nickel, one OLB plays with his hand in the dirt much of the time like a DE. The other OLB comes off the field and is replaced by the star DB. Pretty often the OLB will take a two point stance, but still be right on the LOS. On rare occasions he will play off the LOS. When he is on the LOS, in either the 2 point stance or with his hand in the dirt, job #1 is to set the edge. He's got to take on either the OT or TE and hold the edge at the point of attack and maintain outside leverage to force everything back inside. To get that job done takes leverage, power and a decent amount of size. Speed and burst don't really create an advantage. Job #2 is to rush the passer - speed and burst are required here of course, but those don't matter unless you can do job #1. Evans is great, elite really, at #2 due to his speed, but right now doesn't have the mass/power to get #1 done.

so again, unless we somehow change schematically in a way that changes the responsibility of the OLB playing up on the LOS, I don't see Evans being successful at OLB in either the 3-4 or nickel packages unless he can somehow add 15-20 pounds in the offseason.

Last edited:

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.