Link: Why the Big Ten Isn’t College Football’s Best Overall Conference in 2016

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
Link

Part of the draw of analytics is to make sure we’re measuring things as well as we can.

That means, in most cases, adjusting for tempo and opponent. It means figuring out measures that go beyond simply looking at how many yards you gain or points you score (though if that’s all you have, it’ll get you pretty far, as long as you’re adjusting for opponent).

Granted, it does not result in fewer people yelling that a team “AIN’T PLAYED NOBODY.” But it still creates a better playing field for fair measurement.

It also provides us with the easiest way of measuring conference supremacy. And if you’ve been following the narratives over the last few weeks, you know there indeed might be a new conference atop the totem pole.

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
At the top, the B1G is the best. Top to bottom, who know? Depends on what stats you want to look at.

I really don't care about any of this, though. A strong B1G just makes it harder to get into the playoff. I'd rather be undefeated in a weak P5 conference and take my chances in January.

AlexanderFan

Hall of Fame
Jul 23, 2004
Birmingham
At the top, the B1G is the best. Top to bottom, who know? Depends on what stats you want to look at.

I really don't care about any of this, though. A strong B1G just makes it harder to get into the playoff. I'd rather be undefeated in a weak P5 conference and take my chances in January.
Truth. In this day and age of social media and espn you don't even have to win your conference to get in the playoffs, just be a big name.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

rgw

Suspended
Sep 15, 2003
Tuscaloosa
I'm glad stats kinda backed up how I felt as the season unfolded. The Big Ten really has a ton of separation between their top teams and everyone else. Their bottom is really bad. Their middle is not that competitive. But I do agree with the general concept that conferences aren't judged by depth but quality at the top. In that regard, the Big Ten probably wins the analysis.

I've felt that the ACC was the best conference this year. Florida State is an immensely talented team that lost 3 games in conference. Pitt is probably the best 4-loss team I've seen in awhile. Louisville stumbled to the finish line but they have the Heisman winner at QB. Virginia Tech improved a lot once they stopped turning it over so much. UNC was not a slouch either. Clemson is as lethal of a team as any in the nation. Their middle is much better than the Big Ten's and the bottom is not as low.

The SEC is the deepest conference but they really lack in strength at the top. A lot of pretty good teams and one elite team.

UntouchableCrew

All-SEC
Nov 30, 2015
I'm glad stats kinda backed up how I felt as the season unfolded. The Big Ten really has a ton of separation between their top teams and everyone else. Their bottom is really bad. Their middle is not that competitive. But I do agree with the general concept that conferences aren't judged by depth but quality at the top. In that regard, the Big Ten probably wins the analysis.

I've felt that the ACC was the best conference this year. Florida State is an immensely talented team that lost 3 games in conference. Pitt is probably the best 4-loss team I've seen in awhile. Louisville stumbled to the finish line but they have the Heisman winner at QB. Virginia Tech improved a lot once they stopped turning it over so much. UNC was not a slouch either. Clemson is as lethal of a team as any in the nation. Their middle is much better than the Big Ten's and the bottom is not as low.

The SEC is the deepest conference but they really lack in strength at the top. A lot of pretty good teams and one elite team.
I agree with your general analysis of the B1G and SEC but I think you're giving the ACC a little too much credit. I think the SEC and B1G both matchup favorably with the ACC 1-14.

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000
This article sort of summarizes my thoughts on 2016 quite well. The Big Ten has an excellent team (Ohio State) and three very good teams (Wisconsin, Penn State, and Michigan). But there's also a lot of brush fire there, too.

To put it into perspective......

LSU and Wisconsin played a one possession game that the Badgers won in Green Bay. Basically even teams.
Wisconsin and Penn State played a one possession game.
Wisconsin and Michigan played a one possession game.
Penn State and Ohio State played a one possession game.
Ohio State and Michigan played a one possession game.

The only anomaly in the whole thing is the Penn State-Michigan game.

Iowa played one possession games against both Wisconsin and Michigan....but also with Rutgers, Northwestern, and North Dakota State.

And people seem to forget that LSU was three plays away from 11-1. So in short, LSU/Wisconsin/Ohio State/Penn State/Michigan are all basically about the same level of team. Have them play round robin with each other and nobody goes 4-0 and nobody goes 0-4. Basically even teams.

Alabama is slightly better on the scoreboard, and I'd say quite a bit better talent-wise and substantially better than all save Ohio State coaching wise.

If you were rating the SEC WITH the Big Ten, you'd likely have:

1) Alabama
2) Ohio State
3) Michigan
4) Penn State
5) Wisconsin
6) Florida
7) LSU
8) Texas ATM (with a healthy Knight)
9) Auburn
10) Iowa

Right around that periphery would be Nebraska (only 3 losses to Iowa's four, but two were colossal blowouts....one to Iowa), Arkansas, Georgia, and Kentucky.

Let's put it this way.....the Big Ten as a conference had as many 3-9 or worse teams as it did playoff periphery teams (four, including a semi-finalist from last year). The SEC's worst record was the singular 4-8 by Mizzou. And an argument can be made that Ole Miss would have at least been bowl eligible had Kelly not gone down as well.

So I agree with the conclusion - the SEC is not what it was but that doesn't translate into another conference being something they're not, either.

Redwood Forrest

Hall of Fame
Sep 19, 2003
Boaz, AL USA
This article sort of summarizes my thoughts on 2016 quite well. The Big Ten has an excellent team (Ohio State) and three very good teams (Wisconsin, Penn State, and Michigan). But there's also a lot of brush fire there, too.

To put it into perspective......

LSU and Wisconsin played a one possession game that the Badgers won in Green Bay. Basically even teams.
Wisconsin and Penn State played a one possession game.
Wisconsin and Michigan played a one possession game.
Penn State and Ohio State played a one possession game.
Ohio State and Michigan played a one possession game.

The only anomaly in the whole thing is the Penn State-Michigan game.

Iowa played one possession games against both Wisconsin and Michigan....but also with Rutgers, Northwestern, and North Dakota State.

And people seem to forget that LSU was three plays away from 11-1. So in short, LSU/Wisconsin/Ohio State/Penn State/Michigan are all basically about the same level of team. Have them play round robin with each other and nobody goes 4-0 and nobody goes 0-4. Basically even teams.

Alabama is slightly better on the scoreboard, and I'd say quite a bit better talent-wise and substantially better than all save Ohio State coaching wise.

If you were rating the SEC WITH the Big Ten, you'd likely have:

1) Alabama
2) Ohio State
3) Michigan
4) Penn State
5) Wisconsin
6) Florida
7) LSU
8) Texas ATM (with a healthy Knight)
9) Auburn
10) Iowa

Right around that periphery would be Nebraska (only 3 losses to Iowa's four, but two were colossal blowouts....one to Iowa), Arkansas, Georgia, and Kentucky.

Let's put it this way.....the Big Ten as a conference had as many 3-9 or worse teams as it did playoff periphery teams (four, including a semi-finalist from last year). The SEC's worst record was the singular 4-8 by Mizzou. And an argument can be made that Ole Miss would have at least been bowl eligible had Kelly not gone down as well.

So I agree with the conclusion - the SEC is not what it was but that doesn't translate into another conference being something they're not, either.
1. One year does not mean very much of itself.

2. This reminds me of all the threads on other conference sites where they drew up reasons the SEC was NOT the top conference during the past few years.

3. The only true measure is the records against OOC P5 teams.

4. After the bowls we will add regular season and bowl records and see who is on top.

Also I am reminded of what Coach Saban said about "ya'll done got us dead and buried." The SEC has HALF the top ten in recruiting as of today, and 7 of the top 14 too. Not bad for a "dead" conference.

Last edited:

CajunCrimson

Moderator (FB,BB) and Vinyl Enthusiast
Staff member
Mar 13, 2001
Breaux Bridge, La
A lot of the ACCs "resurgence" -- has come from beating teams from the SEC.

2016/11/26 South Carolina 7 - Clemson 56 L
2016/11/26 Kentucky 41 - Louisville 38 W
2016/11/26 Georgia 27 - Georgia Tech 28 L
2016/11/26 Florida 13 - Florida St 31 L
2016/09/17 Vanderbilt 7 - Georgia Tech 38 L
2016/09/10 Tennessee 45 - Virginia Tech 24 W
2016/09/05 Mississippi 34 - Florida St 45 L
2016/09/03 Georgia 33 - North Carolina 24 W
2016/09/03 Auburn 13 - Clemson 19 L

The SEC went 3-6....vs the ACC

The ACC teams represented here are the ACC's top 1/2 of their league...

But looking at the six losses -- it was tipped heavily in the ACC's favor -- as their top rated teams were hitting the SEC's 2nd tier teams....

The UGA loss, the Florida loss were legit defeats
Auburn vs Clemson and Ole Miss vs FSU were games where the SEC should have lost -- yet, but played well enough to have won....

DrollTide

All-SEC
Oct 18, 2008
Hunts Patch
Fascinating article, especially how the conferences move around depending upon which filter you apply - these line up exactly with Selma's analysis. The only ranking that truly surprised me is how weak the median SEC team is, especially compared to the ACC.

BumpndNite

Dec 6, 2016
I've been reading all of the pundit claims that the B1G is the best conference this season. My question is: based on what? OSU played a good OOC game against Oklahoma, and beat an over-hyped Houston team. Penn State lost to Pitt, and Wisconsin beat LSU by 2 points. Michigan played no one. That pretty much comprises the top conference teams, as far as inter-conference play goes. Other than that, these teams have been judged based on what they've looked like, when they played each other. Not exactly a scientific approach.

When the dust has settled from the bowls, and the playoff games, will be the time to judge conference strengths.

rgw

Suspended
Sep 15, 2003
Tuscaloosa
Oklahoma, not Ohio State, played Houston. Michigan beat a Pac-12 division winner that was 10-2 heading into the P12CG. Pitt is as good of a four-loss team as you'll find this year in my opinion. LSU was a very talented team regardless of their problems...more talented than Wisky.

Last edited:

Snuffy Smith

All-American
Sep 12, 2012
Huntsville, AL
Oklahoma played Houston not Ohio State. Michigan beat a Pac-12 division winner that was 10-2 heading into the P12CG. Pitt is as good of a four-loss team as you'll find this year in my opinion. LSU was a very talented team regardless of their problems...more talented than Wisky.
Oklahoma played (and lost to) both Houston and tOSU.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.