Question: Question: Why do Off. Coordinators go away from success?

Alasippi

Suspended
Aug 31, 2007
Ocean Springs, MS
..because on the other side of the field there's a defensive coordinator making adjustments to stop whatever is going right for the opposing offensive coordinator who's currently having success. The OC sees it happening and adjusts accordingly. Sometimes correctly, sometimes not.

bamacon

Hall of Fame
Apr 11, 2008
College Football's Mecca, Tuscaloosa
Saban's philosophy of "making their arse quit" is brilliant IMO. The best way to do that is to run it down their throat. It's demoralizing and it sets up the play action when they start creeping. When they stack it also leads to 80 yard runs too.

I certainly understand the need for balance and to keep defenses off balance. What I'm referring to is when the adjustments are made and the runs are still hitting 5-6-7-8 yards a pop.

The primary reason I bring this up is that I think the ground game could be a mammoth mismatch on Saturday and I just hope Lane doesn't get too cute or overthink the attack.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

PA Tide Fan

All-American
Dec 11, 2014
Lancaster, PA
..because on the other side of the field there's a defensive coordinator making adjustments to stop whatever is going right for the opposing offensive coordinator who's currently having success. The OC sees it happening and adjusts accordingly. Sometimes correctly, sometimes not.
That does seem to be the mindset among most coaches these days, but I'm old enough to remember the days of Darrell Royal, Barry Switzer, and Coach Bryant who all ran the wishbone where basically the same plays were run week after week, season after season with success. Opponents knew exactly what was coming and still couldn't stop it. Eventually teams figured out how to slow it down but that took years to do, not minutes or quarters.

Last edited:

squib

1st Team
Sep 24, 2005
Because someone is calling defensive plays too. It's not like the offense lines about against the same defense every snap. Most fans just watch where the ball goes on offense. To think that Lane is missing something that some fan in the stands see is ludicrous.

CajunCrimson

Moderator (FB,BB) and Vinyl Enthusiast
Staff member
Mar 13, 2001
Breaux Bridge, La
Defenses do the same thing....change what's working well.

Isn't that why prevent defenses work so well? They know what's coming, they let the other team have it, and the other team marches right down the field, giving them the momentum.

Elefantman

Hall of Fame
Sep 18, 2007
R Can Saw
Defenses do the same thing....change what's working well.

Isn't that why prevent defenses work so well? They know what's coming, they let the other team have it, and the other team marches right down the field, giving them the momentum.
The only thing prevent defense does is prevent you from winning.

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
Most offensive coordinators have a script that they follow in the beginning of the game. They run those plays to see how the defenses align in response, and to find out how well they are able to defend those plays. Then most coordinators start to leverage what they learned during the running of those scripted plays throughout the rest of the game, making adjustments as the defense forces them to.

Here is where it things separate - some offensive coordinators then begin calling plays one play at a time, taking advantage of personnel and alignment weaknesses by the defense. They are playing checkers, reacting to what the other side does one play at a time. One play at a time, with a simple goal of taking what the defense gives you on that play. You don't run into a defensive alignment that had 7+ players in the box. You don't throw to receivers when there is safety help over the top of the route. So the defense tells you what not to do - you then get to choose what you want to do that isn't on the "don't do this in this situation" list.

Finally we get to the Kiffin type coordinators. These guys are playing chess. They are not calling plays one at a time. They are calling plays to set up other plays and to create advantages later in the game. These play calls might work, but to the OC it doesn't matter if the play gains yardage or not as long as he gets what he wants later in the game. For fans, this is tough to watch in the first quarter, but generally fun to watch later in the game.

The problem with the Kiffin type coordinator is that they want to play chess all the time, even when it is clear that you can destroy the other team simply by playing checkers. And the biggest problem with Kiffin in particular is that he tries to set up the huge pass play in his chess match, and Hurts really can't hit that play right now.

Alasippi

Suspended
Aug 31, 2007
Ocean Springs, MS
Say, from watching film you feel that your upcoming opponent is going to stack the box to stop your running game.
You, as OC may tell the head coach, "If they stack the box to start the game I want to run play action passes to the tight end in the seam, and we'll do it until they back that strong safety out of the box to cover him".
So it turns out you predicted correctly. The opposing defense stacks the box and you run three straight successful play action passes to the tight end. The crowd is going wild with excitement at the brilliance of your play calling.
Then, on the fourth play the strong safety takes the tight end and the middle linebacker backs up in coverage.
You then see that they've adjusted their defense out of the stack. So you run the ball. Your planning is 100% successful and you got the defense to do exactly as you wanted them to do.
Ultimately though, there'll be a bunch of fans saying, ""I can't believe we stopped throwing to the tight end. It worked three times in a row!" ;)

teamplayer

Hall of Fame
Jul 31, 2001
cullman, al, usa
I think many times OC's get too caught up in the mental aspect of things resulting in paralysis by analysis. My dad calls it "trying to out think the other coach" syndrome. I've watched Alabama do it, as well as many, many other teams. There's something to "keep running it until they show they can stop it." But they don't pay me millions of dollars for offensive advise. So, my phone hasn't rang in a while asking me my thoughts.
Bingo! Most everyone knows that you have to have a balanced attack to consistently be successful. Otherwise, you get LSU, even with a lot of talent, their offense can be stopped by most teams. However, once the game begins and it is clear that another team cannot stop something, that is when most of us are ready to pull our hair out because some OCs get too cute or over think things. They fear becoming predictable, which means stoppable. I can see both sides, but it is frustrating at times, and I have absolutely loved the games where we finally just said if you can't stop us from running for first downs, we are just going to run it down your throats and make you like it. The UGA game in the SECCG was a perfect example. If we continue the analysis, however, we have to remember that those receivers like to get their hands on the ball, too, so we have to keep them involved to keep them blocking well and keep top notch receiving recruits coming. See, the analysis never stops.

teamplayer

Hall of Fame
Jul 31, 2001
cullman, al, usa
Say, from watching film you feel that your upcoming opponent is going to stack the box to stop your running game.
You, as OC may tell the head coach, "If they stack the box to start the game I want to run play action passes to the tight end in the seam, and we'll do it until they back that strong safety out of the box to cover him".
So it turns out you predicted correctly. The opposing defense stacks the box and you run three straight successful play action passes to the tight end. The crowd is going wild with excitement at the brilliance of your play calling.
Then, on the fourth play the strong safety takes the tight end and the middle linebacker backs up in coverage.
You then see that they've adjusted their defense out of the stack. So you run the ball. Your planning is 100% successful and you got the defense to do exactly as you wanted them to do.
Ultimately though, there'll be a bunch of fans saying, ""I can't believe we stopped throwing to the tight end. It worked three times in a row!" ;)
Hahaha, this is also a perfect example.

teamplayer

Hall of Fame
Jul 31, 2001
cullman, al, usa
The problem with the Kiffin type coordinator is that they want to play chess all the time, even when it is clear that you can destroy the other team simply by playing checkers. And the biggest problem with Kiffin in particular is that he tries to set up the huge pass play in his chess match, and Hurts really can't hit that play right now.
Yes, this is well said. It causes a lot of frustration when fans wonder why five set-up plays were needed just so he could raise his hands and look like a play calling master when five "checker" plays would have been more successful and consistent, to use your analogy.

theballguy

Hall of Fame
Nov 5, 2012
Roll Tide Roll, Colorado USA
I know it all drives us crazy but why do they insist on fixing stuff that is NOT broken until it is? I'm watching this horrible bowl game between two 6-6 teams and they've both done this. Both teams are running the ball with ease and success and scoring. Then 3 straight passes and a punt for one squad. The other comes out pass-incomplete, pass-incomplete, pass intercepted. MINDLESS STUPIDITY! Why do head coaches not have more butt chewings like Saban had earlier? I'd just have to make it clear to the OC to NEVER go away from plays that are working!

Egos. I remember Spurrier calling a same endzone pass play three times in a row to prove a point. Never did get a TD off it.

Nolan

Hall of Fame
Jul 4, 2006
Oahu
Alabama does ;)

There are few instances in the not so distant past I wish we hadn't. Late in the 2013 IB comes to mind.

OTOH, if you do, and it still nets 5-6 yards a rush, the other team begins to slowly die.

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
Egos. I remember Spurrier calling a same endzone pass play three times in a row to prove a point. Never did get a TD off it.
You know, I can't even remember who our corner was, but he was good. After the first one, I thought "throw the fade again, Steve." And he did, twice more. He just couldn't accept that our corner was not going to allow that pass...

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.