Question: Question: Why do Off. Coordinators go away from success?

CrimsonForce

Hall of Fame
Dec 20, 2012
You know, I can't even remember who our corner was, but he was good. After the first one, I thought "throw the fade again, Steve." And he did, twice more. He just couldn't accept that our corner was not going to allow that pass...
IIRC, it was Marquise Johnson defending Alshon Jeffrey. The same exact pass 3 times..

BamaInMo1

All-American
Oct 27, 2006
Cumming, GA
I understand that you can't just line up and hand off to the right and left all day long. That having been said, when you get down around the goal line you have to throw chess/balance out of the window. If you have a team down in the second half and they're stacking the box and still can't stop the run then run heavy and sneak some passes in on occasion. If the box stays loaded all day long and the passing game is working then do a lot of passing and mix a little run in along the way.

I look at the problem like this: You have two different brain disorders at work here
The first disorder is Idiotitis: This is a brain malfunction suffered by OCs who think that everything works and that if they don't create as close to 50/50 as possible in relation to run/pass then they aren't successful.

Then you have I'madanggeniousitis: this is manifested by the realization that you are the best thing since sliced bread as far as OCs go and you can outguess yourself and the other side's DC and win.

I guess if I had to have a knock against CNS it would be his thing about balance. Now keep in mind before I go any further with this comment that I have never been approached by any team whatsoever to be coach, OC, DC, etc. I think what the original poster is getting at (and correct me if I'm wrong, OP) is that instead of being so concerned with this balance thing go with what works the majority of the time with some other plays designed to keep the D off balance. And quit trying to outguess the opposing DC as well as outguessing yourself.

Alasippi

Suspended
Aug 31, 2007
Ocean Springs, MS
I understand that you can't just line up and hand off to the right and left all day long. That having been said, when you get down around the goal line you have to throw chess/balance out of the window. If you have a team down in the second half and they're stacking the box and still can't stop the run then run heavy and sneak some passes in on occasion. If the box stays loaded all day long and the passing game is working then do a lot of passing and mix a little run in along the way.

I look at the problem like this: You have two different brain disorders at work here
The first disorder is Idiotitis: This is a brain malfunction suffered by OCs who think that everything works and that if they don't create as close to 50/50 as possible in relation to run/pass then they aren't successful.

Then you have I'madanggeniousitis: this is manifested by the realization that you are the best thing since sliced bread as far as OCs go and you can outguess yourself and the other side's DC and win.

I guess if I had to have a knock against CNS it would be his thing about balance. Now keep in mind before I go any further with this comment that I have never been approached by any team whatsoever to be coach, OC, DC, etc. I think what the original poster is getting at (and correct me if I'm wrong, OP) is that instead of being so concerned with this balance thing go with what works the majority of the time with some other plays designed to keep the D off balance. And quit trying to outguess the opposing DC as well as outguessing yourself.
Good points, but most defenses don't recreate themselves on a weekly basis. They develop season long tendencies that opposing coaches detect by watching film, and then game plan according to how to best beat those tendencies.
There's not really that much guess work involved.
As far as balance, well, if you don't have it to some degree in today's game, you don't really have much of a chance.
I do agree with one point though. If the other team can't stop you from running, even when they know you're going to, then throw the playbook out the window and hand it off to those stud hoss running backs.

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
Good points, but most defenses don't recreate themselves on a weekly basis. They develop season long tendencies that opposing coaches detect by watching film, and then game plan according to how to best beat those tendencies.
There's not really that much guess work involved.
As far as balance, well, if you don't have it to some degree in today's game, you don't really have much of a chance.
I do agree with one point though. If the other team can't stop you from running, even when they know you're going to, then throw the playbook out the window and hand it off to those stud hoss running backs.
Thing is, Lane does exactly the opposite of this many times. It's like he's just stubbornly blind to the fact that we're still running it with eight in the box and decides he has to throw it. Also, those short passes, when we need 10+ still baffle me...

Last edited:

Alasippi

Suspended
Aug 31, 2007
Ocean Springs, MS
Thing is, Lane does exactly the opposite of this many times. It's like he's just stubbornly blind to the fact that we're still running it with eight in the box and decides he has to throw it...
I'd agree with that. If they absolutely can NOT stop you from running, then run. That simple.
That's the one thing he did that puzzled me a bit.

Last edited:

colbysullivan

Hall of Fame
Dec 12, 2007
Gulf Breeze, FL
Thing is, Lane does exactly the opposite of this many times. It's like he's just stubbornly blind to the fact that we're still running it with eight in the box and decides he has to throw it. Also, those short passes, when we need 10+ still baffle me...
Definitely. If Kiffin were the OC in the 2012 SECCG, I can't say for sure that he would have run kept running it over and over like Nuss did. Then again, if Kiffin were the OC, would we even be in that bad position to begin with?

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama
Definitely. If Kiffin were the OC in the 2012 SECCG, I can't say for sure that he would have run kept running it over and over like Nuss did. Then again, if Kiffin were the OC, would we even be in that bad position to begin with?
Better what if is what happens if Kiffin is the OC during the 2013 iron bowl. Would he take the ball out of AJ's hands after 277 yards of passing like Nuss did?

JustNeedMe81

Hall of Fame
Sep 30, 2011
Huntsville, Al
Every coach out there have done that at some point in their career. Some learned from it, some didn't. I felt like some are trying to prove that they can coach their way out of a mess and that can be either a success or failure. If I had to look at Lane Kiffin's playcalling here at Alabama, there's one example I keep thinking of and that was his playcalling against Ohio State in 2014. Henry had 7 carries for 56 yards in 1st quarter and yet he didn't get his carries until 3rd quarter where he had 21 yard. On next play, he took a short pass and took it for 53 yards. Blake Sims was struggling in that game. The final drive with Bama ball with 1 minute left, that was the moment that had lack of urgency and Kiffin was to be blamed for that. That was the moment where Kiffin grew up a lot. Look at Bama in 2015 and 2016. He may have had moments throughout the season, but it always work out well in the end.

CoolBreeze

Hall of Fame
Sep 18, 2002
Hoover
Most offensive coordinators have a script that they follow in the beginning of the game. They run those plays to see how the defenses align in response, and to find out how well they are able to defend those plays. Then most coordinators start to leverage what they learned during the running of those scripted plays throughout the rest of the game, making adjustments as the defense forces them to.

Here is where it things separate - some offensive coordinators then begin calling plays one play at a time, taking advantage of personnel and alignment weaknesses by the defense. They are playing checkers, reacting to what the other side does one play at a time. One play at a time, with a simple goal of taking what the defense gives you on that play. You don't run into a defensive alignment that had 7+ players in the box. You don't throw to receivers when there is safety help over the top of the route. So the defense tells you what not to do - you then get to choose what you want to do that isn't on the "don't do this in this situation" list.

Finally we get to the Kiffin type coordinators. These guys are playing chess. They are not calling plays one at a time. They are calling plays to set up other plays and to create advantages later in the game. These play calls might work, but to the OC it doesn't matter if the play gains yardage or not as long as he gets what he wants later in the game. For fans, this is tough to watch in the first quarter, but generally fun to watch later in the game.

The problem with the Kiffin type coordinator is that they want to play chess all the time, even when it is clear that you can destroy the other team simply by playing checkers. And the biggest problem with Kiffin in particular is that he tries to set up the huge pass play in his chess match, and Hurts really can't hit that play right now.
That's good stuff right there B1GTide. I think you hit it.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.