Link: 10 reasons the Huskies can beat Alabama

TiderJack

Hall of Fame
Jul 9, 2010
Inverness, AL
Ahh yes. The good 'ole "Look what happened in '92 when nobody gave Alabama a chance against Miami and look what happened". I agree with this.

To say that Dennis Erickson is even a fraction of a coach that Nick Sabah is a generous compliment.

Also that Miami team was full of thugs who spent as much time showboating as they did actually trying to play the game. This Alabama team is neither of that.
Yep and I heard Barker say Miami players were out partying every night on Bourbon Street. This team is focused and like some have said, Saban won't allow any complacency or foolishness.

BamaMoon

Hall of Fame
Apr 1, 2004
Boone, NC
Yeah, this ain't '92 Canes vs. Tide. Great defense always neutralizes great offense.

Back to reality. It's not like 2016 version of Bama just outscores teams...but we do score alot (typically) and our defense is still pretty good last time I checked.

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000
Yes.

Miami Coach Jimmy Johnson apologized Tuesday for his football team's behavior leading up to the Fiesta Bowl and promised to take steps to prevent such attention-grabbing incidents.

Johnson said he will request stricter off-field supervision of the players and will implement a dress code.

"It's something that I've given a lot of thought to primarily because we had an 11-1 football team, we went through an undefeated regular season and yet it was one of the most trying and frustrating years of my coaching background," he said.

Johnson, just back from the Japan Bowl, said he discussed the situation with Athletic Director Sam Jankovich and university President Tad Foote on Monday. He said he had decided to implement the new standards before the meeting, and Jankovich and Foote supported him.

Included in the incidents to which Johnson referred were:

--Many of the players arriving in Phoenix a week before the game wearing battle fatigues

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000
how to count is the only thing he can't remember ;)
Miami arrived for the Fiesta Bowl against Penn State that was played on January 2, 1987 wearing battle fatigues. I don't know the exact day they arrived, but that was thirty years ago this week. Online newspapers report the story dated December 30, thirty years ago today.

NY Times - In football's continuing attempt to be a metaphor for war, the Hurricanes arrived here dressed in camouflage uniforms. And Brown equated Penn State with the Japanese in World War II.

We spent Christmas that year at my grandparents in Missouri. I got two Anne Murray cassettes and a Bill Cosby cassette (for those of you under 30, ask someone what a cassette is, ha ha). That was on the 25th. That same day, Alabama beat Washington, 28-6 in the Sun Bowl, saw the game at my aunt's house. We came back home the 28th, which was a Sunday. I bought a wrestling magazine (and yes - I am embarrassed) in Fredericktown, MO to have something to read while we rode. I recall that on New Year's Day we watched Nebraska thump LSU in a Sugar Bowl that Alabama should have played in, Arizona State came back from a 15-3 deficit to beat Michigan, Brian Bosworth was suspended for the Orange Bowl and OU killed Arkansas. Also, I recall on the 30th listening to a one-hour tribute commemorating the death of Rick Nelson on 12/31/85. On the 31st, I sat up all day listening to the year-end rock 'n' roll countdown, "Stuck With You" by Huey Lewis and the News was number one. They moved the Fiesta Bowl to the Friday night - I even recall not only that Penn State won, 14-10, but as NBC left the air from the telecast, they played Billy Joel's new hit, "This is the Time."

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.