Link: 10 reasons the Huskies can beat Alabama

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
Pretty much what Husky fans have been saying on this board. Not sure why they think that the SEC being down this year is going to help them in this game. Alabama beat USC 52-6. Last time I looked, they played in the PAC.

bama2112

All-American
Nov 19, 2006
Cobb County, Ga.
Ok, they mentioned John Ross III two times. Even Kiffen wasnt his normal flippy self today at this Semi Annual press conference. I take it that CNS is on a mission and that could be scary for UW.

CoastGhost

Suspended
Sep 5, 2009
North Carolina
All good points. I expect Washington to bring it and give us a strong challenge. I also think Alabama is the stronger team as long as we are focused on this game and not the next one.

BamaInMo1

All-American
Oct 27, 2006
Cumming, GA
Can UW win this game? Sure. But not because of overconfidence by Bama. I also don't think they'll be able to beat us by trying to throw the ball 60 yrds down the field, either because they probably aren't going to have time for that to develop. If Bama comes out and plays it's game we should win by two scores. I noticed that one of the comments posted on that article was that Bama starts out slow in their scoring. That maybe tru, but if UW can't score at all against out D it won't make much a difference about that.

Crimson1967

Hall of Fame
Nov 22, 2011
This is a a Seattle sports writer appealing to his readers. He did have some good points but he did mention Ross twice. The turnovers may be key as we have brought that up here.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000
1) Give Chris Petersen a month to prepare, and anything can happen.

(Apparently, these folks are unaware of how often that's said about Saban.....)

2) John Ross III - Simply put, Alabama hasn’t seen anything like him this season.

362 of his 1122 receiving yards - FULLY ONE THIRD OF HIS YARDAGE....is against two teams, USC (225.3 pg) and Cal (245.4 per game).

Alabama allows 184 per game.

Ross has faced ONE team the equivalent of Alabama's passing defense - Colorado. Ross had four catches for 51 yards, not exactly a career making performance - though to be fair, part of that was because Washington blew them out.

3) Turnover Margin

The 1985 New England Patriots had a substantial turnover margin differential over the 1985 Bears, too - just fwiw.

4) Jake Browning Is Rested

So is Jonathan Allen.

Is Browning's rest going to turn him into a runnner?

5) That secondary

We don't throw long very often.

6) Those big dudes up front

It's not like our O-line sees a good D-line every day in practice...

7) Big plays for the big game

Doing little plays is what sets up big plays. No team in history has ever scored without the ball, although no Tide fan would put this trick past Auburn.

8) Did we mention John Ross?

You didn't mention 1/3 of his yards came in two games against poor passing defenses.

9) The SEC is overrated And outside of ‘Bama, every other SEC team has at least four losses. The Pac-12, meanwhile, has four teams ranked in the top 16.

There were two SEC-Pac 12 games this year:

1) Alabama 52 USC 6 (the only team to beat Washington might I add)
2) Texas A/M 31 UCLA 24

So the overrated conference is 2-0....

10) Alabama's overconfidence

the sense is fans and media around Alabama are already looking past UW and anticipating a national-championship matchup

good thing the fans and media aren't on the field then, right???

4Q Basket Case

FB|BB Moderator
Staff member
Nov 8, 2004
Tuscaloosa
Washington can't match up with us for 4 quarters. The only way they win is with our help -- blown blocking assignments, busted coverages, pre-snap penalties, unforced turnovers.

Funny how Hugh Freeze is the latest guru on how to beat Alabama when the last time he did that, he was the recipient of five turnovers, a once-in-a-career miracle play, and a badly blown no-call on OL downfield. Nobody mentions that it took seven major breaks to win by one touchdown.

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000
Let me be clear: I think Chris Peterson is a VERY GOOD football coach. I thought he was the perfect hire for the job given that he knew the terrain from having been in Boise and had demonstrated some long-term success by beating more than just one good team. (Btw - in response to the old "he beat Va Tech" argument, that same Va Tech team lost to James Madison right after losing to Boise).

I also think Washington is going to be up there as a contender almost every year so long as he's there. And he seems to be in good humor for it all this year as well. He has impressed me.

But I keep hearing this argument about what he did at Boise State against Oklahoma. That's fine but.....he also botched game after game (most notably 2010 Nevada and 2011 TCU) because of a failure to do simple things like have a competent kicker. These arguments cut two ways, folks. Boise State versus Oklahoma was ONE game TEN years ago. Given the history of Oklahoma after winning their national title in 2000 - repeated flops in virtually every big game they've played over the last 15 years - that Boise State win does not have near the luster it once had.

Kyle Whittingham beat SEC Western division champion in Alabama in 2008 - and his Utah team was FAR MORE IMPRESSIVE in that game than Boise was against Oklahoma; they didn't need a Statue of Liberty play to win. But nobody seriously suggests that Whittingham is some sort of 'next level Nick Saban' based on that one game.

I think the level of frustration Tide fans are dealing with (aside from "it's been too long since we had a game") is this - even suggesting the comparison of Stoops and Saban is laughable at virtually every level. Let me change the words to show you how ridiculous the repeated appeals to the 2007 Fiesta Bowl sound to Alabama ears:

"Washington can beat the coach who has won more big games than any coach ever because ten years ago Washington's coach took another team and beat a team that has blown virtually every big game it has played in over the last 15 years - by using a trick play."

Any team CAN beat any team on any day - that is true. Washington beating Alabama would not be near the upset some folks are suggesting. This is not Chaminade vs UVA with Ralph Sampson.

There's nothing inherently wrong with citing that game as an example of what Peterson can do - just remember that there's another side to that argument.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.