Group of 5 Officials Considering Playoff for Non-Power 5 Teams

tide96

All-SEC
Oct 4, 2005
Houston could have made it this year, but they blew it.

I wouldn't mind a FBS-G5 playoff. Actually sounds kind of fun.

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
Am I alone in reading the G5 official's statement to mean he wants a G5 playoff AND keep the CFP agreement?

If that's what they want, they can forget about it. They want their own playoff with no connections to the bowl? Fine. They better be ready for the Power 5 administrators calling for another autonomy vote the very next day.

rgw

Suspended
Sep 15, 2003
Tuscaloosa
I think they're wise to talk about it because I believe the bowl money is gonna dry up and they need to take ownership on how they're gonna monetize themselves instead of just expecting power five welfare for perpetuity. The power five will leave them high and dry as soon as the pot of money decreases and none of the presidents/ADs want to adjust their budgets...they kick the G5 to the curb and divide up the G5's former revenue streams.

Crimson1967

Hall of Fame
Nov 22, 2011
If they want to do it, that's fine with me. But I don't see it getting much more attention than any of the bowls get now.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Redwood Forrest

Hall of Fame
Sep 19, 2003
Boaz, AL USA

"There is absolutely no ability for us (teams in the Group of 5) to be in that national title conversation," Frazier said. "That's just reality. Anyone that says we can: that's a flat-out lie."

I disagree with this. If Houston had gone 13-0 they would most likely been in the playoff. They could not win it of course with a four year recruiting average of #65. Yes, the Boise's of this world can win a bowl game but they are NOT going to win back to back games against top 10 recruiting classes who have something to play for. It is a different animal when playing for a championship instead of going thru the motions of an underachieving bowl game.

Snuffy Smith

All-American
Sep 12, 2012
Huntsville, AL
Am I alone in reading the G5 official's statement to mean he wants a G5 playoff AND keep the CFP agreement?

If that's what they want, they can forget about it. They want their own playoff with no connections to the bowl? Fine. They better be ready for the Power 5 administrators calling for another autonomy vote the very next day.
I would like to eat all of that cake - but only if I can eat it and not have it be gone. Oh, and while I am living in a fantasy let's take all the calories out too.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

lowend

All-SEC
Feb 20, 2005
How ironic. These second tier schools just couldn't stand to be in 1-AA and not have access to BCS money. They charge their students more fees to make up the deficits they run, build stadiums they can't feel, and rarely achieve competitive success at the top level -- but now they want their own championship. Drop back down to 1-AA where you belong and compete in an arena for which you are best suited.

tattooguy21

Suspended
Aug 14, 2012
Let them do it. It makes complete sense. And while we're at it, only teams with winning records make it to the damn bowl games. It's disgusting watching a 5-7 team play in a bowl game. I'm not saying that the team probably doesn't appreciate being there, but the fact is, they don't belong.

Winning is supposed to mean something, and in these cases, you're literally rewarding losing.

tattooguy21

Suspended
Aug 14, 2012
I think it's a coin flip. Remember, despite what the talking heads say, it's not just about the winning, it's about the fan base and the money. I can't see Houston fans travelling better than Ohio or Clemson, and I'm honestly not sure regarding UW. As such, I could see them getting left out, with a 13-0 schedule. They did play Louisville, but even that win would have counted for crap after Kentucky beat Louisville. That was a defining win (other than OU) and at the end of it looked like poopy.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.