Group of 5 Officials Considering Playoff for Non-Power 5 Teams

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
Link

Northern Illinois athletic director Sean Frazier is among a growing number of Group of 5 officials that favor adding a playoff specifically for the Group of 5 schools.

"It's time to have a realistic conversation about creating a playoff for the Group of 5," Frazier told ESPN. "Why not?"

It's been 32 years since a non-Power 5 team won a national championship (BYU in 1984) and it likely will never happen again in the current format. In the first three years of the College Football Playoff, a Group of 5 team has never ranked higher than No. 13 (Memphis in the 2015 initial rankings) by the CFB Playoff selection committee.

"There is absolutely no ability for us (teams in the Group of 5) to be in that national title conversation," Frazier said. "That's just reality. Anyone that says we can: that's a flat-out lie."

The Group of 5 consists of schools from the American, Conference USA, Mid-American, Mountain West and Sun Belt conferences along with independents BYU, Army and UMass.

Frazier said he believes a Group of 5 playoff could be financially rewarding to those schools. NBC, CBS and ESPN have interest in televising a Group of 5 playoff, an industry source said.
This quote stuck out to me:

"As long as the financial agreement that currently exists with the CFB Playoff remains and we had the opportunity to package a Group of 5 championship, why wouldn't we want to do it?" a Group of 5 official said. "It would spread the exposure to all five conferences, rather than just the one conference champion that plays in a New Year's 6 bowl."
So IOW, this official is saying he/she wants a G5 playoff as long as they still financially benefit from the CFP?

My feelings on the whole thing are pretty much summed up by this line:

Some officials are concerned a separate national title would perpetuate the perception of the "haves" and "have nots" between the Power 5 and Group of 5.
By having a G5 playoff, they are pretty much doing what they voted against a few years ago - P5 autonomy. They can't have both.

JDCrimson

Hall of Fame
Feb 12, 2006
Yes, but if they were to all get together and do a schedule format they could potentially have their G5 champion be a candidate for a spot in an expanded P5 playoff of 6 or 8.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Tapatalk

CrimsonForce

Hall of Fame
Dec 20, 2012
I must've missed the new verbiage Group of 5 and Power 5. Can someone detail that for me? I'm assuming Power 5 is SEC, B1G, BIG12, PAC10 and ACC. The group of 5 is everyone else?

crimsonaudio

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 9, 2002
crimsonaudio.net
I must've missed the new verbiage Group of 5 and Power 5. Can someone detail that for me? I'm assuming Power 5 is SEC, B1G, BIG12, PAC10 and ACC. The group of 5 is everyone else?
Yup. Well, the G5 conferences are AAC, CUSA, MAC, MWC, and Sunbelt. Independents aren't part of the G5, but when it comes to discussing whether or not they should be in the FBS, they might as well be part of the G5.

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
Power 5 also includes Notre Dame and BYU. Army and UMass don't really count even though they are independent, too.

GrayTide

Hall of Fame
Nov 15, 2005
Greenbow, Alabama
G5 teams should be a separate division entirely, like FCS. It's time we stopped pretending that half of the FBS belongs there.
I have been saying this for a number of years. College football is like life, there will always be the haves and the have nots what is so hard to understand about that? Approximately half of the current FBS, or if you prefer Division 1, is made up of the Group of 5 teams, let them have their own Division, separate playoff and NC.

CajunCrimson

Moderator (FB,BB) and Vinyl Enthusiast
Staff member
Mar 13, 2001
Breaux Bridge, La
Take the top 32 teams in the nation based on SOS and W/L % over the last ten years. Segregate those teams from the rest of CFB and divorce the NZAA.

See where I'm going with this?
Then split them into 2 Conferences.....and 8 divisions.......4 teams each...and Call it the NcFL

National College Football League. Then instead of recruiting -- we have a 25 round draft each year.....

Last edited:

trenda

Hall of Fame
May 17, 2000
Hendersonville, TN USA
What eventually happens when you have a P5 CFP and a G5 CFP? You have two champions. And some marketing genius will figure out that there's additional money to be made in matching up the P5 Champ and the G5 Champ.

Mo money, mo money, mo money . . .

Krymsonman

Hall of Fame
Sep 1, 2009
River Ridge, LA
This sounds like what they did in Louisiana a couple of years ago. The best football teams in the state were usually the private / Catholic school teams, but there were several good public school teams. However, most of the championships were usually won by the private schools. So someone at the top got tired of the private schools winning everything and they took a vote to separate the private schools from the public schools, all so the public schools could experience the joy of winning a championship. Since there were more public than private schools, they won the vote. Now we have the public school championships, (classes 1A to 5A), and the private schools championship, (Division 1 thru 4). In my opinion, it's really watered down the product here and it doesn't take as much effort to make the playoffs now. Krymsonman

KrAzY3

Hall of Fame
Jan 18, 2006
kraizy.art
G5 teams should be a separate division entirely, like FCS. It's time we stopped pretending that half of the FBS belongs there.
If they do their own playoff, there's no question they are admitting they belong on a lower level.

That aside, talk about wrecking the bowls...

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
I'm not sure you are being serious.
Totally serious. Time for them to stop pretending. It might also be helpful if some of the P5 schools dropped down to this level. With a championship available, some might. A school like Indiana, Purdue or Vandy might actually win a championship in this model.

Totally serious. Time for them to stop pretending. It might also be helpful if some of the P5 schools dropped down to this level. With a championship available, some might. A school like Indiana, Purdue or Vandy might actually win a championship in this model.
While true, I don't think it will happen.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro[emoji208]

CrimSonami

All-American
Jul 17, 2011
Ardmore, AL; too close to 10erC
Take the top 32 teams in the nation based on SOS and W/L % over the last ten years. Segregate those teams from the rest of CFB and divorce the NZAA.

See where I'm going with this?
Then split them into 2 Conferences.....and 8 divisions.......4 teams each...and Call it the NcFL

National College Football League. Then instead of recruiting -- we have a 25 round draft each year.....
Nah, too far. North, South, East and West. Cross division 5 games.

Yeah I know it's "OUT THERE" and not very realistic divorcing the NZAA but there ain't 120+ plus teams even close to the same talent and coaching level. Something does need to happen. And with reality setting in for some programs it's close. But not yet close enough IMO.

rgw

Suspended
Sep 15, 2003
Tuscaloosa
I am fine with this because it is a way to create more competitive games and cut some of these bottom barrel bowls.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.