Link: Story on Dakota Ball's hunting accident...lost a finger to a shotgun

huskylawyer

Scout Team
Dec 4, 2016
Seattle
Glad he's ok.

I have a Kel Tec KSG and there are a number of shotgun fails with it (people blowing off their hands). If you don't attach that front vertical grip correctly to the pic rail, you might blow your hand off if the grip or rail fails when you load.

Looks like your guy had one in the chamber and no safety, and whlie strapping down a piece of clothing triggered. Curious what he was carrying.

(yea, we got a lot of tree huggers up in the PNW, but some of us are armed :) ).

Last edited:

CrimsonSEC

Hall of Fame
Jan 8, 2007
Brewton
Glad he's ok.

I have a Kel Tec KSG and there are a number of shotgun fails with it (people blowing off their hands). If you don't attach that front vertical grip correctly to the pic rail, you might blow your hand off if the grip or rail fails when you load.

Looks like your guy had one in the chamber and no safety, and whlie strapping down a piece of clothing triggered. Curious what he was carrying.

(yea, we got a lot of tree huggers up in the PNW, but some of us are armed :) ).
Doubt it was a tactical shotgun.:)
That Kel Tec sounds like a dangerous gun to be on either end.

Tidewater

Hall of Fame
Mar 15, 2003
Hooterville, Vir.
Someone on the board had questioned my judgment for not having a round in the chamber when walking around, when not about to shoot.
This illustrates why.
Chamber a round when you are about to shoot, not before. When you are tying a rope around the barrel and the stock, you are not about to shoot. Or in this case, you are, just not intentionally.
Glad he wasn't injured worse than he was.

CrimsonSEC

Hall of Fame
Jan 8, 2007
Brewton
Someone on the board had questioned my judgment for not having a round in the chamber when walking around, when not about to shoot.
This illustrates why.
Chamber a round when you are about to shoot, not before. When you are tying a rope around the barrel and the stock, you are not about to shoot. Or in this case, you are, just not intentionally.
Glad he wasn't injured worse than he was.
Absolutely. Your judgement is sound on this. It only takes a second to chamber a round or shell and it could prevent a lifetime of regret.

huskylawyer

Scout Team
Dec 4, 2016
Seattle
Absolutely. Your judgement is sound on this. It only takes a second to chamber a round or shell and it could prevent a lifetime of regret.
I'm with you guys here. I feel confident enough where I don't need a round in the chamber. Not worth the risk.

With that said, the Ruger revolver next to our bed for the wifey (with the crimson trace hand grip laser) works for her as I don't want her fumbling with loading when a bad guy or zombie comes calling.

And as another poster said, doubt he had a tactical shotgun during an ATV ride unless he's a poser (I actually hate my Kel Tec KSG - it looks awesome but not reliabile enough for me).

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
Chambering a round will spook the game; too much noise and movement.
Moving through the woods will spook the game a lot more than the sound of chambering a round in a well oiled gun or rifle. You get where you are going, then chamber a round and begin the hunt knowing that the business end is now to be taken seriously.

Tidewater

Hall of Fame
Mar 15, 2003
Hooterville, Vir.
Chambering a round will spook the game; too much noise and movement.
I think you're misunderstanding. When you get to your hunting spot, and are all set, then you chamber a round.
When you are tying a rope around the barrel (which is what Dakota was doing when he had his accidental discharge), you are not ready to shoot (unless you're looking to shoot your finger off). Once you are done tying your rope, and whatever else, and you are ready to shoot, then chamber a round. That's all I'm saying.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.